Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Michael

Fishing here is a bit expensive. Looking forward to visiting family in Michigan. Then can do a lot of different fishing and get the kids involved. The fees you pay here in Scotland to go fishing is a bit on the dear side plus some places will only allow fly fishing which I enjoy but is not the only form of fishing that I do enjoy.

We are thinking of getting some surf gear and doing that with the kids. The fun with that is going to be getting them up early enough to go out and get some good fishing done.

Michael

Tom M

Micheal,
    How far north are you in Bonnie Land? I would imagine there are some extreme height differences between high and low tide.

Michael

Edinburgh,

Yes the tide does move a good distance and a days trout fishing will cost you about £60 ($84) plus gas, plus your kit. You might get lunch, you might not. The areas you can fish with only a general permit will still cost you a £12 for a three day permit (there are no season permits from what I know).

That and the cost of gear here is a bit dear compared to the US. So enjoy your fishing folks.

Michael

David Gerard

Good fishing can cost $ any where.
    Boat……………………………………………15,000(bare bones)
    yearly expenses…………………………………1500
    truck fuel to travel and pull……………………….?
    fishing gear………………………………………..?
    license and king tag………………………………..http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntlicense.prices
    or
    Halibut charter(no meal)…………………………….http://www.alaskacoastalmarine.com/rates.htm
    Salmon rates………………………………………..http://www.alaskafishon.com/day-prices/

cheaper to just buy fish or…………. just enjoy fishing

Michael

David,

Minus gear which is a cost no matter what for fishing. What you pay for a season with a king tab in Alaska is 3 days fishing in Scotland on Public lands (which are few and far between). Now if you don’t mind net fishing you can do that cheaper but I hope you have a strong back or a good number of friends to help pull it in as the tide shifts.

Don’t need a boat to go fishing and yes travel is one of those expenses that you just pay no matter what if your activities involve being out of the home at a distance.

I love fishing and will be getting back into to it soon, only here it is rather expensive. The sad part is that the UK is cheap compared to some other countries in Europe.

Michael

David Gerard

Hi Michael, one bit of gear used in your are is the “spay or splay” rod? I have seen several folks using them salmon fishing here. Probably visiting from Europe) What are they about? The reels are very different than what we use here from fly reels to bait casting reels.

David Gerard

sorry friends just had to share and keep up the thread,  We played hooky from work today.  Flat seas and finally a warm day…had to go fishing.  We got 3 Winter kings and 3 black rock fish.

Brother Dan nailed this 25 pounder,  I got the dink.
    Michael

David,

Spey rod and it is used for casting where you can’t use the full motion of the rod. I have seen them but never used one. The are a couple of strange reels over here including a version of fly reel that is rather interesting and difficult to describe.

Nice catch and hope the weather improves.

Michael

Nice!! My gills are green.

Johnny C

David Gerard

Another day playing hookey!   When the Pro-Cure Gm shows up…you take him fishing!

We go into some black rock fish,  we kept 20 or so.  These are bigguns too!
     This colorful chap is a kelp greenling.  Ok to eat but I let it go.
    No salmon this day.
    “Team Pro-Cure”
    David Gerard
    David Gerard

Hey friends, well, halibut fishing is going ok. I haven’t been out for king or red salmon lately but I will once the second run starts. Usually those are a little bigger and more plentiful. My high school pal is coming up so Im looking forward to nailing some reds on fly gear soon.
    Hows all ya’lls summer fishing going? Come on now, dont be shy! I need…I want!!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I wish I had a story to tell but I don’t . Absolutely no fishing going on here in Southern California.

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.