Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    David Gerard

The Gang,      now that I have my feet back on the ground  I figured I can share my summer  adventures.   In the middle of May we took over a project across the bay from Homer (Halibut Cove).   It needed to have cabinets taken over and installed along with the solid surface tops I recommended .   That project carried on for a bit since I also tok over all the plumbing trimout and hookin up the the manifold and pressure pump ect while coaching the owner on the septic system  during our stay there.   I hired a friend  who finished all the trim and installed the wood floor and did touch up.    Every day this job required  a pick up,  a John Deere gator and 2 skiffs.   We trolled each way to and from the job,  no luck.  But hey,  with all the daylight increasing we tend to get excited for summer around these parts.   We did our annual 4 day backcountry trip for Memorial Day,  My folks came for a week,  still no luck fishing but the clamming was great!
               We cranked through our work load just as my buddy and his 2 sons arrived from Ore, now to do some serious fishin!  5 of us hit the halibut localy pretty hard 2 days straight and put up  360#s  of fillets then on to Seward with 1 more buddy along.   First day in Seward we were allowed 28 rock fish,  no problem,  filled the hold in no time along with catching and releasing several Ling Cod.  Last day we went out  60 miles to hunt for “Hogs”  big a$$ Buttskis!!
          I was hanging with the skipper lookin at the depth sounder and plotter (as always)  as we got closer to the hunting grounds the sounder  became solid with color,  I mean density!  The pinicale we were looking for was covered with fish!   The skipper started to pant!        He  almost knocked me to the floor as he swept past me to the back deck!   DROP EM DOWN  DROP EM DOWM!  Brother Dan was ready,  before he hit the bottom he had a fish on!   Once up we discovered we happened on a rock fish bonanza!   In seconds we had hundreds of rock fish at the surface hitting bare hooks,  we had our limit of 28 in the boat in under 10 min.  I SHITE YOU NOT!      Lots of excitment as you can imagine.  Suddenly an ominous figure came to the surface….a giant  LING!  The skipper was goin nuts as the Ling statred to attack the stainless props,  I woulntn’t have belived it if I didn’t see it.   The skipper put his camera underwater to take a couple pics of all the fish,   after getting bit he re thought potographing the ling since they have huge teeth and after our trip last year he had to go to the hospital for  a bad seration on his hand  from a ling.  Limited out we went  to another happy hunting area for “Hogs”.   We were using whole salmon carcasses for bait along with some  “Pro Cure ” products  (our sponsor)  We all put $$$ out for the first fish.   I hooked up soon enough with a 65 # hog. Ca CHING!    Steve was next with his 124 # and Dan with a  110#er.  Enough killin we all agreed and headed back to the harbor (3 hrs away)   in those 4 days we put up 800 #s of rock fish and halibut.  I was happy since most of what we catch goes home with guests and  I beg for fish all winter.     Now after a long stint in Lk Clark Im looking to get out and get some salmon.   I have pics of the Lk job I post another time .                                                                              Hope you all are having a great summer! It’s been full speed for us, we have lots of work and daylight,    hunting season starts aug 20th can’t wait!   I’ll try and get some pics  on this thread

David:

I just may have to come to Alaska to verify if this fish story is true.

Joe

David Gerard

David Gerard

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Sounds like your having a blast. Is that a full sheet of material?

I recently went on a vacation and when on two hikes and that was about it. Had lots of fun with the family, but man, when you go on vacation, you come back with tons of fish.

At 60 miles out, can you still see the main land or is 60 miles a real long way?

David Gerard

Andy,   our summers are so short,   we  tend to cram in as much as we can,  one day flows right into another and the next thing you know summer is gone, we do play hard, you just get caught up in it.   We worlk alot of  saturdays and sundays to play catch  up                                                                                                                        Your trip sounded like fun and my favorite part is you are making memories for your kids.
      The top in the pic is a finished vanity top all wrapped up.  We loaded it off the skiff at low tide in the kelp and had to haul that and everything else up this long hill 1/2 mile away.

To add to this thread i’ll mention my daughter is going to a trophy king salmon fishing camp with our neighbors to watch their 2 yr old for 8 days,  she will get to fish in the eve,   I am soooo jealous. 

http://www.alaskatrophyfishingsafaris.com

Steve Mehan

David,

I fish every weekend with my girls. The picture below is of my two girls Ruby 4 and Daisy 2. Ruby was fishing with her Barbie fishing poll and started screaming “I got something” she realed this bass with in 5 feet of shore and the line broke. She was fishing with a worm and a bobber. The hook and bobber were stuck in the mounth of this bass and all weekend long it kept swimming back and forth in front of our campsite almost like taunting us. I tried and tried to snag it for 2 days with no luck. Both Ruby and Daisy would go out early in the moring and try to catch this bass. Thats the reason there both in there PJ’s. Ruby didnt know weather to go fishing or swimming so she put her bathing suit on over her PJ’s. Well the picture tells the rest of the story and we couldnt be happier.

My wife figured she give it a try and well not as big, just as much fun.

David Gerard

Steve,   I love it!   Ruby and Daisy are some lucky girls!   My dad use to take all five of us boys fishing in CT.  when I was a kid,  I remember catchin bass like that where you could see them but not catch them.   Barbie pole

keep em comin!  I love it!

Happy memories that last a lifetime.

Johnny C

Some guys get all the girls.

Great pictures Steve. I love the swimsuit with PJ’s, but it’s the hands-on-hips pose that gets me.

Joe

Chris Yaughn

These are from an old post.  The stroller on the left has had a little boy (currently almost 4) and a new guy (almost 5months) in it after it was the “baby doll stroller”

Also, the cast net in the background was accidentally left at a boat ramp in SC(and has been replaced), but the Tweety Bird reel is still kickin’.

As for the cutie pie blonde.  She just finished 1st grade math and is into reading “chapter books” now.  Not that I am a proud papa or anything. Just sayin’

David Gerard

Chris,  I hope you have a poster size  copy  hangin in your office

David Gerard

These are out of order but here is Mady headin for The Mulchatna river fish camp to look after this cute little 2 yr old for 8 days.   She was very excited to go even if is was a turd washer where she is going.   She should be seeing lots of brown bears and getting to fish for trophy king salmon.   I would  like to  be there when the guide sees her cast a bait casting reel like a pro (dad taught her well).  

I also took our friends out on sun and my wife Lisa hooked this 55 # halibut,  to hear her squeal while it made 2 runs back to the bottom(200ft )from the surface was the highlight of the outing.  We also took home a 25#er.

Steve Mehan

Chris,
    Yeah thats a nice fish. It’s a lot of fun fishing with the little one’s.

David,

My daughter Ruby wanted to know where we could go to catch fish the size of the one your wife is holding. ALASKA I said. Her response was “Can we go” 
    I showed her the pictures of your daughter getting on the plane and said how she may see some bears. I had to open my big mouth because now she wants pictures of bears. Big mean grizzly bears in fact.

David Gerard

These are for Ruby,   we saw 50 brownies on the flight out to the Lk Cark job,  we had to fly around 400 ft through this bay due to thick clouds.  In  this bay the bears were all stacked up in the sedge grass waiting for the salmon to show.  We continued on at  110 knots so as not to scare them so it it hard to get pics.    The fox was hangin aroung the job and pissin on the porch every night.   Cute but stinky.
      We didn’t fish much out there since we worked 10 t 12 hr days however we did get a few 22″ lakers.  The one time we gutted fish at the shore a brownie sow and 2 cubs showed up along with this fox.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.