Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    David Gerard

We hade a call from Mady late last night while she is in fish camp,  she first mentioned she hooked and landed a 37 ” king salmon on the first drift down the river, cant wait to see the smile on her face in the photo they took.   I detected a note of home sickness already

David Gerard

One of the king salmon Mady hooked and landed herself.   This one is 42 ”   Camp record so far this summer.  She says she has 50#s of salmon comming  from camp this week.  I figure she will learn how to smoke salmon real soon!

Steve Mehan

WOW David thats a nice fish.
    Where abouts is the camp Mady’s staying at and what river would she be fishing?
    If I wanted to catch salmon like that around here I would have to travel about 3 hours west to the Salmon River in Polaski near Lake Ontario.

Norm Walters

Leaves me out, I don’t own that many clothes.

David Gerard

Norm,  I would be happy to loan you a Fabnet T and some crusty Carhartts.

Steve,  Mady was on the Mulchatna river west of Homer across Cook inlet.
    If you look on a map,  find Bristol Bay then find  Nushagak bay, follow up the Nushagak river then to the Mulchatna confluence.   Great caribou hunting out there too.

We took the LG customer service rep and his friend  from Wa.  out today for salmon and halibut.   We had fun but no fish caught except for a wolf eel and a Hali trout.   Oh well still fun!   Great guys!

This is my sister-in-law Sally pulling a King salmon out of Grand Traverse Bay in Michigan this morning.

This is her better half, Dean, holding a 19lb King he just battled to the boat.

My sister-in-law Dawn, with her prize catch.

The middle and right are egg-filled females and left is the boy. The fishing turned off before my wife could catch one and before I could get a turn, but it was worth it anyway to be with family on a beautiful day.

Captian Sonny of Pices Charter Fishing was the best. (231-938-1562) Twenty-one-year-old First Mate Spencer owned the back of the boat and made the trip. When it looked like Dean’s fish would tangle all the lines in back, Spencer had the Captain veer right, quickly moved a pole or two and netted the fish in the clear without breaking a sweat. Insist on this kid if you go.

Four hours is $390.00 for six, but the Captain gave us six hours, trying to get everyone a fish. Five adult one-day licenses was $40.00, and I tipped Spencer $80.00. When you fish Grand Traverse Bay, you’re in King water in ten minutes; no hour there and hour back.

I didn’t get a fish, but if I have a heart attack tonight, I’ll die one happy Kowboy.

Joe

Joe

David Gerard

WOOOOT  WOOOOT!

As they say on Face Book,   “Dave Gerard Likes this”

Nice Joe!     I’m Jonesin to go get some silvers but…. I sold too many tops this month

We are in Frisco, NC this week.

Ray from Manhattan gave me two beers and three bluefish (one pictured) when I met him on the beach yesterday. He won the local pool tournament twelve years in a row, then got his a$$ handed to him by a chick with tattoos and a Mohawk last year. Ray invited me to the Lighthouse bar for the rematch, but I didn’t make it.

These are my friends, (L-R), Freda, her husband Tom and George watching a video of a botfly extraction. Tom, Freda, Lynn Anne and I all graduated from the same high school, different years. I’ve had a crush on Freda ever since the tenth grade when she sang the lead in a school play. Notice the Venetian blinds in the background? We peek through those at Zebragirl and her cohorts. 

You pay $45.00 a head to fish off “Miss Hatteras” plus tips, which we did this morning. Great weather and Lynn Anne didn’t have to chum the water, thanks to Dramimine. 

I’m holding Lynn Anne’s Atlantic shark, right before he went back into the drink; he’s an endangered species. My friends bought me the shirt that says “Please keep your boobs from staring at my eyes.” She only lets me wear it when I fish. 

First Mate Natalie. I feel a little funny having a woman bait my hooks and remove my fish, but I wasn’t going to argue with a woman with fish guts on her belly. She’s a pro and can replace a lost rig faster than anyone I’ve ever seen. She got a nice tip.

Joe

The fishing here is world class. The locals have a particular tradition of nailing the tails of all the King Mackerel caught to the pier. This is in Avon, just up the road. Don’t bring wine in a glass like I did if you want to fit in. This is beer drinkin’ territory with some of the friendliest folks on the planet. I watched a guy battle a four-foot ray for twenty minutes; they cut the ray loose.

I showed up at the dock on Friday morning at 5:30a.m. and took a spot from a cancellation on a deep sea charter. My new friend Jason battles the smaller of the two Wahoo we caught here. Ladies, don’t ever say the Kowboy doesn’t throw you a bone now and then. I wish I’d gotten a shot of Scott, the guy in the background, reeling in his tuna. He looked like a guy who swatted a drunk in a bar and the drunk got back up. Uh-oh. He was shaking and pale after we boated that fish.

The larger Wahoo, second fish from the top, is fifty-four inches long and weighs about forty pounds. That’s a Yellowfin Tuna below and there are four more Dolphin that didn’t make it in the picture.

My captian in case you’re interested. It was twelve hundred bucks with a 20% tip for first mate Jay, who is also a captian by the way. Both did a spectacular job. That’s $240.00 each from six guys and forty bucks to get the fish cleaned. That’s cheap for world-class sportfishing. I highly recommend it.

Joe

KCWOOD

Joe… where I fish off sanibel island Florida.. we always have trouble landing the big ones…..

here’s why…..     Boca

KC:

I had the same problem when I fished the Keys several years ago. We just reeled faster.

Joe

David Gerard

great stuff Joe!    When  was working in Hawaii we would go marlin and mahi fishing.   My bud hooked a striped marlin  aft of the mouth,  in th pics it looks like he was giving birth. 

I just winterized my boat today

Great fishing pics, Joe.

Since something was mentioned about first mates I thought I would share some memories of my Alaska trip of 4 years ago.  Halibut fishing in David G”s back yard.  Homer AK.

Our day started out quite overcast, blustery and cold.  As you can see above it turned out gorgeous.

Catch was good.  We all caught our limits.  No monsters that day thought.  Oh yeah, I almost forgot.  First mate,  well she was a really a hard worker.

She was working her way through nursing school.  It was fascinating to watch her clean fish.

David, maybe you have run into her at the Salty Dog?

Johnny C

This was the boat that we hired.  Really well run.  Great trip.

Johnny C

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.