Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    David Gerard

cool!   Mark Millspaugh’s    boat.
       and one of the many lovley deck hands!   Did you happen to see the
    “Butt Wackers”  fish filleting  behind the “Salty Dog” pub?  A lovley gal there to,  too handy with a knife though  

You need to do that trip again Johnny!   I’ll go with ya.

It is on my bucket list for certain.  And wouldn’t make the trip without looking you up.

Johnny C

David and Johnny:

You know I’m crashing this party. You tell me where and when.

Joe

David Gerard

I hope you would Kowboy,  although I may have to invite my friend who was a Proff of english and liturature at Mich State just to keep you stimulated mentaly…or……we could go on a  tour of ” lovley Deck hands” at the dock

Any time Joe

KCWOOD

David, Johnny………..

While I give the lovely deckhand a piece of solid surface  to make knife marks on while Kowboy watches, I’ll take his place on the boat.  I bet Kowboy would rather show her his tools and how he uses them, than go out on the water with a bunch of guys.

I had a bit of a slow period on my schedule this week so I got together with my brother for a trip down the Deschutes river in central Oregon.  32 miles of river covered and two nights camping and bonding with my bro.

This is my brother Jerry swinging a fly just after dawn on the first day.  Temerature was in the mid 20’s.  Brrr.  Warmed up to high 50’s by afternoon.

Fish on.  Our first hook up on the first day was actually a double.  About 2 seconds after Jerry screamed out “Fish on”,  I followed with “me too, whooo hooo”.  Next couple of days look promising!

We are only allowed to keep hatchery fish.  You can recognize a hatchery fish because before being released they have their addipose fin clipped.  (small fleshy fin behind the dorsal) This fish that Jerry is holding, not only had her addipose fin clipped.  She was missing the top of her tail and entire dorsal fin.  And yet she survived 4 years in the ocean and returned.

Here I am holding my first steelhead on a fly.

Scenery, what can I say.

Total for the trip:  16 fish hooked, 10 landed, 7 in the cooler.  Fish for dinner tonight.

Back to work now.  But what a great way to get distracted.

Johnny C

Tom M

Johnny,
    They return to the sea in the fall run, correct?
    Nice catch. That’s a meal right there.

I understand that different rivers have different timing on their steelhead runs.  some have what they call a summer run and some have a winter run.  I think some rivers have both.  I truly don’t understand how to distinguish one run from another, nor am I experienced enough to tell you when each seasonal run actually spawn and return to the big blue.

Johnny  C

Tom M

Up in upstate New York, on the Salmon river, the spring run is for egg laying and the fall run is for the final feed to last the winter. Same with Stripers and the nesting rivers in my area (Like the Connecticut River). I am assuming the same out there.

David Gerard

Johnny,  Ive said it before,   We got nothing on you guys,   I love fishing steelhead and salmon in OR.   Nice!

My bro’s are together in Minn as of today doing the deer hunting,   I went to New England so it’s my time to what the Bizz.

Tom,  if I remember   Rainbows/ Steel Head breed in the late fall and Browns and brook trout in the spring.   The only way I seem to tell rainbows fron steel head is that steel head are more silvery where rainbows have more green on top also rainbows seem fatter and steelhead are longer/thinner more streamlined, just my observation.

Tom ,  you must have some CT fishing pics?

Tom M

David,
    I have pix of friends catching Blues (Two at a time on an old Stan Gibbs), bonito, a sand shark (about 3 1/2 feet, and all manner of piscean wonder. All these pics were pre digital camera. Someday I will scan these into a digital format.

Someday. Monkeys will fly, someday. Hell will drop into single digit kelvin range, someday.

However….

since you asked I submit this prize trophy:

It was a tough fight, let me tell ya.

David Gerard

made my day Tom

Tom M

Here’s a Fluke my son pulled in in 2004, same day the other shot was taken. I don’t have any shots of him taking the blues a year or so ago, but he might.

5 years ago. Dang, the clock’s ticking waaaaay too fast.

David Gerard

I DARE ANY OF YA!

http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci…000022899/

and then the fighting starts!

Tom M

Richard Vergili, a food-safety instructor at the Culinary Institute of America, in New York City, says that as long as a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the fish reads 145° F, it’s safe to eat―and probably pretty moist.

Ya think?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.