Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Lenny E

Posted By Tom M on 12 Apr 2013 07:26 AM

“Frank Zappa refers to them as “the mud sharks in your mythology” from the song
    yellow snow. ”

Lenny and I have have just been surpassed as the FabNet Music Trivia expert.
    I did not know that amazing factoid, and I loved Zappa, may he rest in peace.

I reward all my rapidly de-valuating bit-coins to David in lieu of his musical expertise. Actually I didn’t have any of that high tech fiat money.  I’m more of a gold and LEAD GUY. But I hand you my music trivia crown, gladly. You may have to pull Tom’s crown from his cold dead hands while he is screaming like a banshee! 🙂

I  liked Zappa David. I was more into the early stuff (Freak -out-We’re only in it for the money etc.)

Right now I’m grooving to Pink Floyd. The ladies in China  call guys like us..the “Diamond Guys” because of the ephemeral value they assign to us which is all about fiat money.  I have to beat them off with a stick! 
    A little Floyd for everyone….

“Remember when you were young?

You shone like the sun!

Shine on you crazy diamond,

Now there’s a look in your eyes,

Like black holes in the sky!

Shine on you you crazy diamond!

You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom,..

Blown on the steel breeze!

Come on you target for faraway laughter,

Come on you stranger, you  lecher, and martyr and …SHINE!” 

Most likely that song and entire release was a homage to Syd Barrett, one of the original founding members. He flipped out on acid back in the day and is currently dead after a failed career in music and some gardening (last time I checked). 

My fav group of all time!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

David, are your fingers red or is it just the picture?

David Gerard

HA! Andy, we had 2 of the 4 rods set up with bait rigs. My friend wanted to try dyed prawns. I was warned to use the nitrile gloves when handling the prawns….and not to eat the bait. as you can see i didnt eat the bait.
    My hands are usually that color throughout the fishing season anyway.
    Pro-cure egg cure has some serious red dye in it. Its non toxic and food grade but will stay on your skin for a long time.
    Ive heard some funny stories of dogs eating skeins of salmon eggs curing and having big messes in the house on white carpets. The borax loosens then up pretty good.
    I offer red cured eggs to loose dogs, usually only see them once or twice. Made myself laugh right there!
    No bad dogs!

David,
    To answer your question about the lake house striper…. I fished most of the night for them landing many schoolies on the smaller side. Went home and took the dog out for her morning walk down to the water. When I got to the dock,  the water was churning with a school of decent size stripers feeding. The first cast landed this one. It spooked the rest and they vanished. The lake is Smith Mountain Lake in SW Virginia.. The same lake where they filmed the movie “What About Bob” with Bill Murray and Richard Dryfus. We own a home down there.

David Gerard

Rick, what method do you use to catch them? bait, lures? troll, cast the shallows? I never knew there were land locked stripers.
    One of my favorite fish to go after are Lake trout. They hit like a freight train. Hate to kill them though since the grow to be huge and old.
    Our Kenai river king salmon are really in decline so I wont be putting any time into them this summer. The kenai river king fishery is a zoo anyway, you could walk across all the boats to get from one of the river to the other during the season. It’s more fun to watch the people bitchin at each other, kinda like hangin out at a launch ramp.

Tom M

Striper spring run is starting soon hereabouts.

Lenny E

I caught a big fish in China.It had 3 eyes! One in the middle of the head (third eye perhaps? Psychic Fish?) . Apparently it was not psychic enough to not eat the stink bait!

I killed it and gave it to some hungry Chinese farmer person, because I did not want that to reproduce! I think there are more of them out there! 

No pix…sorry.I ditched the camera for guns! Next time I will take the camera

Eeeeeewww!

David Gerard

Lenny, Id bet you might love bow shooting the Asian carp that have infiltrated the southern rivers. Could try using a rifle
    but a mistaken hole in the boat could be a problem.
    The you tube videos of that sport are hilarious! One needs to wear a helmet!

Im sure glad halibut dont fly. 

David,
    The landlocked stripers I fish for at this lake bite like crazy at night. I go out about 11pm, find a large cove right off of open water, and use the trolling motor to sneak in. I cut everything off and listen. The lake is full of shad and in the late spring/early summer the shad come to the surface to mate. You can hear the shad “pop” all over the place. Then all of a sudden you may hear anything from a large sucking sound to something like a concrete block being dropped in the water. I toss a large (usually the largest floating Redfin or Rapala in that direction, normally as close to the edge of the water as possible, and crank slowly, just enough to make a wake in the water and then hold on. It’s like the lure is being hit by a VW. A large striper can peel off 40-50 yards of 25lb spiderwire before slowing down a bit. I think the lake record is somewhere around 58 lbs. 20lbers are common. I think I need to take a run down and see how they are running..!!

David Gerard

cool Rick, i love that you can just jump in the boat and head on out from home.  I use to be able to do that when I lived in halibut Cove.  Now it takes a 20 min. trailer haul.

Check out this product.  some great pics of nice fish.  I was with my pal the GM of pro cure when he caught some of the fish in the pics.

Tom, go get em! Id love to hook up into a striper.

Tom M

A fabricator friend goes often. He only uses flys. I never flyfished in salt water. Too lazy, I guess.

David Gerard

The one place I use to go that one could fly cast for kings in the salt has dried up as a fishery. Took too long to get a fish in the boat anyway. We were meat fishing before work back then.

Tom M

David,
    Where did you fish for them when you were out here?

David Gerard

Tom, I never fished kings there. It was up here In Halibut Cove Lagoon. There was an artificial run created by fish and game.
    They would release smolt into nets in a little estuary that was salt water. In 4 years the salmon would return as husky 22 lb kings. They would smash a fly while they schooled in the estuary. I used a 9 wieght rod with a fighting butt.
    WHOO HOOO! I miss that!

Yeah David, that I’d like to try.

Johnny C

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.