Viewing 6 posts - 106 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Mory Ludwick

David,

Just by having the ISSFA logo on your shop sign door or even on your uniforms (I’m not sure how to explain this) but it is a comfort level for consumers. Just knowing that you belong to an organization and that there even is one involving countertops. In the past, I have learned that just about every fabricator really wants to have a successful association. In know I do. It’s a level of comfort for fabricators and consumers. When I first started fabricating countertops, I ran across this ISSFA BB. I started asking questions and all the guys gave me lots of advice. They also ripped me a new one when I got smart with them. I made a ton of friends, developed a very successful business only involving countertops. If it weren’t for ISSFA I probably wouldn’t be where I am at today. When I paid my dues and joined ISSFA I got beat up and kicked all at the same time. It was the worst money I spent in my llife. I almost got screwed out of $1000,00. Then again, it was the fabricators that came to the rescue and stuck with me to get my money back. From that point on I knew this association needed lots of help That the management was out of control or had no backbone. They were too worried about vendors. I tried my best to get involved, but without a large group of fabricators paying attention and getting involved it was senseless. Back to the logo, I know when I look at it I think of all the people that helped me get where I am at. When consumers ask me about it, my reply is it is an organization that has continuous education for my employees and myself. At least that part of it is true.

Mory

David Gerard

Mory, I was advized not long ago by a sucssesful shop up the road to have the backing of an organization . He said it gave him an edge when it came down to the fine line of a sale or not.. I want you to know I used the name ISSFA only to make a point. Around here I have seen NK&B along with local orgainizations on thier logos. These fabbers are the mainstream all out of Anchorage and youre right it is a comfort level when consumers and desing firms see a familiar name. One problem is that I live 220 mi. from the main stream of Anch. I have to stand on my own two feet an ,and if I can have the backing of an organization I belong to and belive in then I will survive. I am in an exiting place and time in my town of Homer. We are experiencing major growth I need every angle and edge I can employ to stay on top.

Thanks , David

chiltoncabs

David, does not the quality of your work and your reputation prove to be above and beyond whatever a door sign from any association would lead to??

Mory Ludwick

Your business is what you make of it. No organization has anything to do with it. At least I know that is my case. I have had lots of advice from the people belonging to the organization. As far as main stream, again an organization has nothing to do with that. I beong to a motorcycle club, why because I choose to surround myself with people who have the same interest as I do. I choose to be on the forum, because everyone here has the same interest in countertops as I do. I myself know I am just sitting back hoping that all of this makes an association that has been around 10 years stand up and finally get their poop in a group.

Mory

David Gerard

Dave and Mory, It is not my prime goal to have an organization tag on my stationary or shingle to show my customers I run with the big dogs. I’m just saying It would help since the competition has it. Yes Dave my rep is outstanding and thats how I get my work so far. However, I am still trying to get more exposer as a top and custom cabinet maker instead of a custom builder. As I’m sure you have read, there has been some great advice on the advertising thread that I hope to get started with soon. This new organization could help with my plans to make SS a more desirable material in my area and help my business to grow. I have an incredible and exciting uphill climb ahead of me. “I know there is a pony under all this crap! ” 2 other shops have started here with cabinets and SS tops and failed then left. Hell , I may exceed my goal and end up with employees again and more work than I want just like before. For now I must turn heads away from trendy tops and concrete. I know both of you have started your own successful businesses and I will learn from you. I am at a point right now where I’m being aggressive so maybe I’m caught up in all this excitment here and also with my buisness an those I’m duing buiness with but every little bit helps. Because of you guys and this site I know more than most around here I’ve spoke with about changes in the industry along with other materials and techniques. I have some new ideas to share that could help out the rural shop guys like me. A new and open minded organization can hopfully help . I presented one of my brainfarts to ISSFA in Orlando. The twisted facial expression on her face said it all. Once again “just a country boy tryin to get along” David

David Gerard

allmost forgot. Dave did you get the e-mails I sent not long ago? I don’t even know was it was I sent now but it might have been 2 pics to post for me. It would have been from mady “at ” xyz.net

Viewing 6 posts - 106 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.