Viewing 12 posts - 271 through 282 (of 282 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

This is a nice job to get. I can’t imagine trying to fab and install the entire thing by yourself. I can feel the back pain already.

Dani Homrich

I build everything on roll around tables so the lifting is minimal. When done I roll the table to the truck and slide the cabinet on the truck with only a little lifting. The job was only 1/2 block away so when I got 4 cabinets done I took them to the job. At the site 1 man helped me tip the cabinets onto a 4 wheel cart from the truck. Then I rolled them into place pick up one end and rolled out the cart. When I need help lifting or flipping something over my son’s shop is next door and I have him help me. I also have a cart the same height as my edge bander to do large top edges, I only have to lift one end to get the top over the cart.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

You know if you are accustomed to working by yourself, I am sure you begin to set things up to make life easy.

That is something I should learn. We probably move things around more than necessary because there is another guy standing there. But it ends up that we are constantly interrupting each other to flip a top for the forth time.

David Gerard

We had a fun job today.  We were hired to do a solid surface top in this remote cabin 12 miles from Homer by water.  It was a lovely skiff ride.  

When we do these jobs we have the opportunity to load everything at the shop and launch without having to pack supplies down the ramps. 
     We then hit the beach and off load as close as we can get.  We were greeted by 3 strapping teens.  I carried the lunch box and one end of the top..
    These jobs requires us to carries a ton of tools and supplies…you dont want to forget anything!  We even took a 7 mm mag since its black bear season and they are out in the afternoons eating grasses after a long winter.  We saw 3,  a sow and cub and 1 way up high.  The fog rolled in thick so we spent the rest of the eve hunting the shoreline waiting for the fog to clear.
    In the pic of the cab you will see tool boxes all over the board walk.  We had to set up outside and cut the cook top out .  We dont like to travel with the hole cut for fear of breakage in rough water.
    Staron “Rattan”.  Cabinets done by others
    Lenny E

David, that is just way too cool!

Did the skiff have the David SS logo on it, or at least a flag? A Cruise ship that needs new tops just might swing by!

Stranger things have happened.

7mm mag huh? Loaded for bear? I always liked the 8mm (picked up lots of crates of ammo back in the day when it was cheap), 7.62 x 54 (still cheap) and 30-06 myself, but to each his own.
    Tom M

Was that a three season cabin?
    Do you bring generators with you just in case?

David Gerard

Hi Tom,  It is a 3 season type of cabin even though you could winter in it….if you like seclusion.   I could do it.  Catch halibut out front, wack a black bear or moose every year, put in a small garden…yupp.   

The customer and I were chatting about folks we knew together from 30 years ago,  and after wards she showed us where the key was so we could use the place.  That was the best gratuity I have ever had!
    They did have a generator,  it was so loud I consolidated  all the cutting, sanding, ect so as not to disturb the quietness. 
      It was very nice to not have to be in a hurry and  so we could take our time and enjoy the place.   We did some extras but since we had such a good time I think they will be on the house.
    I have to pinch myself…often.  Life is good!
    Tom M

She? As in single, good looking, wealthy she?

I’m just asking, uh, for a friend, you see….

David Gerard

you missed the part where I used the word “They””. Sorry, I tend to write like a 5 year old when Im tired.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Nice place. Just out of curiosity, what does it cost to build a place like that? It would seem to be expensive to have the tradesman out at such a remote area.

David Gerard

Andy, If I had to guess I would put a figure of 150.00 a square foot on it. The materials in Homer are SPENDY!
    All the fuel to get back and forth…KA CHING!
    I never added up the cost to build my cabin, afraid to. At least I had lots of re purposed materials to use.
    Our sheet good prices have gone through the roof. The recent tornadoes are going to raise prices even more.
    Not the time to build a remote cabin..maybe?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I suppose it’s worth it with views like that.

Viewing 12 posts - 271 through 282 (of 282 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.