Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Jon Olson

-Hello Tom. .The Industry Won. With the help from Fabricators such as Paul+ Paul, Andy, Kurt, Gene. It was a contest really too close to call.

With the cooperation from all these Guys we put our industry back on line. A new awareness you might say.

It truly showed that SS does not have design limitations.

Paul could you please post a picture of your entry and Paul’s as well? Really sharp!

Tom M

Sounds like you all stepped up to the plate. Especially Mr. Jonnovation over there.

Norm Walters

Speaking of Jonnovation, from what I hear there are already molds out there for solid surface toilets, the problem is, these molds are for the old water wasting toilets, now if Jon could design a 1.6 gallon per flush model, would that not truly be Jonnovation?

Gordon Doull

Not bad, Norm. Not bad…..

But Jon, I’m thinking ELECTRIC OR NATURAL GAS TIOLET.

I don’t want it to be too easy for you.

David Gerard

incin-olet or turd burner we calls em. popular in remote areas with no means of septic system or too close to the water, just sayin

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Congratulations to all the winners. I didn’t win, but it was worth entering.

I felt bad for the gentleman that fell through my chair. He came up to me to apologize and I actually felt bad that it broke.

Maybe should add some reinforcement the next time.

Paul Bingham

Jon,

Paul .& I had to leave before we could retreive our entries from the show and we were so pressed for time before coming to the show that we didn’t get any pictures before leaving.

Andy and Val graciously volunteered to collect our entries and ship them back to us later. When we get them back I will post some pictures.

We didn’t win any awards but we had a great time designing and building. In my case it gave me the incentive to learn our 3D design software and forced me to take the time to learn how to carve it with my AXYZ CNC and in a small way it may have helped to generate interest in the contest for future years. Even though we didn’t win we certainly came out ahead with the knowledge and skills gained designing and fabricating the entries.

Thanks for your kind words about our projects at the show.

We are somewhere of the coast of Mexico on a pirate ship at the moment and won’t be back until early March.

Paul

Gordon Doull
    Posted By Andy on 02/25/2008 12:30 AM

Congratulations to all the winners. I didn’t win, but it was worth entering.

I felt bad for the gentleman that fell through my chair. He came up to me to apologize and I actually felt bad that it broke.

Maybe should add some reinforcement the next time.

Can you imagine the look on his face when his a$$ hit the floor?

Man…. I wish I could have seen that. The sheer dis-belief….

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Just a suggestion for next years design contest. All entries should be shown in the magazine. Of course the winners would be showcased and have the extensive reviews, but what about the other entries?

Not only is it important to give some credit for people participating, but as a Surface Fabrication reader, I would just be interested in seeing all the entries.

Just a suggestion, I think it may entice more to enter the next time if they see the entries from the previous year.

Jon Olson

I agree Andy. All that effort is worthy of something. I would like to see the names mention before they give out the awards everyone needs to be included . Also what if we have shop size. 1-10 man shops , 10-20 man shops, 20-whatever size shops. So instead of a small application and large application you entered into the shop size class. The winner in each class was than put into a pool for the best in show prize.

Another thought would be to have a new category as well Fabricator’s choice. We would vote at the show. I think sometimes fabrciaotrs have different taste than designers

Linda Graves

Does anyone here have pictures of all of the entries. I would like to see all of them also.

If we knew the names of the entries, we could see if they would send up pictures. I am sure the shops took pictures of their own entry.

Posting those entries on FabNet would give the shop some exposure and credit for effort. Or, would that be completely inappropriate, since Cygnus did the contest?

Linda

Tom M

Kevin,

Please forgive me for posting this. The links you have on the email took me to your home page and I didn’t know where to find it from there.

I’m a moron.

Congratulations to the Winners of the Cygnus Achievement in Design Contest

The 2008 Design Contest had 32 Entries, thank you to all who participated. It was a great success. We look forward to next year and seeing your new designs.

The entries were judged according to the following criteria:

• Creativity
    • Beauty of Design
    • Execution
    • Innovative Use of Material

One Winner was selected in each category, along with a Best in Show Winner from the Small Application & the Large Application.

Small Application:

Winner – Freestyle/Art

Artist: Tom Pinske

Company/Sponsor: The Pinske Edge

Title: Domino Effect

Fabricated from solid surface materials, these dominos topple in a chain reaction and then rise up again. Is it magic? Nothis trick is accomplished with fish line and actuators!

Winner – Integral Sink/Drainboard

Artist Name: Alex Vitet

Company/Sponsor: Sterling Surfaces

Title: Antelope Bath

Antelope is a bathroom furniture and accessory program exclusively made in Corian, which has been developed to offer a wide variety of compositions around 4 washbasin forms. The collection offers new ways to manage space. You can plug and play washbasins, countertops, shelves and boxes in accordance with your personal needs.

Winner – Inlay

Artist Name: David Rockwell

Title: Gold Grain Table Set

Gold-Grain table set in Corian consists of a large serving platter and salad server which double as decorative tabletop display pieces. The sinuous, metallic Gold-Grain pattern is embedded into Corian solid surface. Due to Corian high tech material and the organic feel of the design, the set evokes both glamour and wit, mimicking nature with dubtly glittering manmade materials. The set comes replete with a gold-leafed apple in Corian.

Winner – Best in Show

Artist Name: David Rockwell

Title: Gold Grain Table Set

Large Application:

Winner – Freestyle/Art

Artist Name: Martin Funck

Company/Sponsor: Rosskopi & Partner

Title: Leonardo GlassCube

Indoor and outdoor genetics 2 and 3 dimensional freely warped sculptures in the interior and the exterior. The flush mounted and jointlessly honed genetics partly stretch out through openings of the building and connect its separated zones as well as floor and ceiling areas in an integrative way. Reception desk forms a unity between high quality furniture construction and jointless design. The interaction between the dark rosewood desk and the pure white cover gives the visitor a first insight into the Leonardo Glass Cube. Bar Lifestyle, Lounge table, grab cladding and vanities. Throughout engineering, construction (2D, 3D), execution planning, making and mounting of all solid surface material works including sub constructions of the project.

Winner – Residential Kitchen

Artist Name: Danielle Martin

Company/Sponsor: Fabricators Unlimited, Inc.

Title: Spring Feaver

A two level island fabricated using two Corian colors. The Private Collections Sagebrush and Moss. Willow glue was used on the lower level to enhance the look of a flower. A functional three level shelf features the backside of the material.

Winner – Residential Bath

Artist Name: Tom Theobald & Ben Hammond

Company/Sponsor: Stone Technics

Title: Rifenberg Master Bath

This stunning bathroom features a single slab tub deck, hand carved door casings and backsplashes that reach the ceiling, all made of 3 cm granite. The granite is bookmatched and the door casings are fabricated to match the curved and angled design of the travertine cove moulding.

Winner – Commercial/Institutional

Artist Name: Amy Tasch

Company/Sponsor: Innovative Surfaces, Inc.

Title: Mayo 16 Pediatrics, Rochester, MN

Focal part of project included Corian Cirrus White trees as part of a total renovation of a serious illness pediatrics ward. Project involved (4) general contractors and interior design work by HGA Architecture. “Minnesota Nature Themed” renovation included Corian trees, full glass panel walls, special effects flooring and wall cladding.

Winner – Best in Show

Artist Name: Martin Funck

Company/Sponsor: Rosskopi & Partner

Title: Leonardo GlassCube

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I was getting ready to post this. Looks good. Again, congratulations to all the winners and thanks to all the entered. It made the contest more competitive.

Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.