Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Cole

Hey everyone, I wanted to let you all know the scoop on the new Surface Fabrication Design Contest. We have given it an overhaul and, for simplicity and convenience sake, combined it with that of the show’s. So, there will be one comprehensive contest, rather than one for the magazine and one for the show.

The contest will be broken into two parts — one for larger, more “real world” applications, such as kitchen, bathroom and commercial installations, and one for smaller more artistic applications that can travel to the show to be put on display. Those wanting to participate, and I strongly urge you do, must fill out an “application to compete” and submit it no later than December 14, 2007.

For the larger category, high-resolution photos should accompany a second set of forms explaining the project. For the smaller category, the actual items should be shipped to the show for judging and photos of the winners will be taken there for use in publicizing the winners. The show is in February, 2008, in Las Vegas.

A new Web site has been set up to give all of the details on the contest and allow download of the entry forms. It also hosts information on past year’s winners of both contests that are being combined. Winners will, as always, receive trophies to display in their facilities and an article will run in Surface Fabrication magazine after the show detailing the winners. Additionally, press releases will be submitted to a variety of industry-related publications — such as Kitchen & Bath Design News, Qualified Remodeler and Residential Design & Build magazine, to name a few.

The Web site for the revamped contest, aptly named the “Surface Fabrication Achievement In Design Contest,” can be found at http://www.surfacefabricationdesigncontest.com. Please let me know if you have any questions or need any additional information. This is the only contest I am aware of for the solid surface and quartz surfacing fabricator and it can really get you some positive attention. This can be a great way to get the word out to a very large audience about your abilities and the unique properties of the materials you work with. We are really hoping for a good turn out on this and I hope all of you creative fabricators consider entering.

Best,

Kevin, editor@surfacefabrication.com

Jon Olson
    Please do not minimize this contest. Its all part of us helping to save our industry. Ask you manufacture to donate material it’s a win for both parties. Any venders out there want to sponsor a shop? Let Kevin know.

Anybody want a few ideas on what to enter? I would be glad to help you. Enter more than one. Even if you don’t win you will get noticed as a company that wants to progress.

Jon, I would love to enter this contest if maybe you can help steer us in the right direction…I have scraps and will beg for material from the manufactures if I can get a good idea that I think I get get done. Our major hold back is the thermoforming bit, don’t have one.

I would really appreciate your help, I think I am looking forward to seeing this part of the show next year.

Robert – Tri-State Fabrication

Mark Mihalik

I too would love to enter. I need to come up with some inventive ideas. I’ve made simple chess boards and turned rails for stairways but to enter the contest I think it should be “huge”

OH YEAH! Its contest time, I’m entering!!!!!!!!! I’m gonna think of something wacked, useful, inspiring and challenging!!!! Darn, I wish back in the days when i used to take acid i would have wrote down some ideas for furniture peices, if only i had a pencil and paper back then…talk about glowing countertops at the bar…man they were glowing and they weren’t Lumistone or Avonite glass series,LOL dats for sure…but who knows maybe a flashback will pop up soon and Ill come up with something…..Serious though…we nedd to participate in this, our future depends on it, and if you don’t enter a project…at least be there at the ceremony and congratulate the contestants..Some of youse guys are the heroes of the industry…Kevin if you are reading this…have you thought about a beginners division…2 years and under , less intimidation tactic…and they can win a set of Paralign clamps or Routers, etc….I’m sure there are gonna be stone entries this year correct? Anyway i’m in and don’t care if i win or not , but to participate in this Industry i love

Jon Olson

Wow its good to see a postive approach to the contest! I can post some ideas later on today but if you guys want to you can call me at 978-42203321 ex 237

Jon, it was great to talk to you for the first time. I actually learned alot from the conversation. Thanks for all the info and future help….I got mind working with this idea I mentioned to you.

Thanks again, hopefully I will be able to meet you and other people on the FabNet at the show or maybe sooner.

Robert – Tri-State Fabrication

Jon , How R U? Your post under me has your phone # with too many digits…is that right?

Kevin Cole

Refresh Gene wrote

Serious though…we nedd to participate in this, our future depends on it, and if you don’t enter a project…at least be there at the ceremony and congratulate the contestants..Some of youse guys are the heroes of the industry…Kevin if you are reading this…have you thought about a beginners division…2 years and under , less intimidation tactic…and they can win a set of Paralign clamps or Routers, etc….I’m sure there are gonna be stone entries this year correct? Anyway i’m in and don’t care if i win or not , but to participate in this Industry i love

Hi Gene:

I think you proved positive in the last contest that “new” doesn’t mean that a fabricator can’t be creative or good at what he or she does and compete right along side long-time fabricators.

And I do expect some stone entries this year, although what I expect and what happens aren’t always the same….

— Kevin

Lenny E

Hi Gene,

My offer still stands with the new REVAMPED design contest. I will choose 1-2 fabricators to recv some free Lumistone Inlay tubes (glowing bars, flashback free), if they want to incorporate the glow thingee, into thier submissions. Just pop me an email or post.

I always really appreciated the design contest, and for me it was always the highlight of the show to see the innovative, thoughful, and just way cool stuff you folks come up with. Its like fabrication meeting the Metropolitan Museum of Art..

Thanks,,

Lenny

Lenny, What is your email? I want to let you know what I am thinking about doing and see if I could incorporate the Lumistone product in the idea. I spoke to Jon about the idea I had to enter and after that conversation I have been working on trying to figure it out as I am doing everything I can to try and figure this idea out.

Robert.

Lenny, Ok i’m Interested but also want to apologize for da slow response, had somewhat of a fun trip in Chicago wit my future inlaws. Anyway, I’m going to hafta get me some material as well and has this been tested for outside usage and if you were to wallclad does silicone show thru as if it were that Glass series material? I read as much as i can about it but it seems to be the same literature from three years ago..is there an updated type of fabrication manual with what type of wattage the lights have to be to charge it up for the night?…Ya know it’s probaly on the web somewhere but didn’t do advanced search enough…I got too many ideas brewing to the point of busting outta my head , i’m gonna end up on a couch in a therapy with the Doc holding a clipboard asking me what’s Lumistone????????.LOL

Jon Olson
    Okay everyone. What’s going on? Word on the street is we don’t have any entries yet. My bad as well. So its time to put your thinking caps on. Hurry up and sigh up. Before you know it the show will be here.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Hola Jon,

We are doing a light box thing if the designer gets the project. I have another idea also but don’t have material picked for it yet.

Kevin Cole

Hey everyone: I wanted to put up a quick message and let you all know that while there has been tons of talk about the design contest, entries are a bit sparse this year, and the deadline for turning in an application giving intent to compete is only NINE (9) days away! I hope you are all getting your applications put together and ready to submit. I really think this is a great opportunity to showcase not only your skills but also the versatility of the materials used in front of a very good-sized audience (the show, the magazine and several other design-related magazines). Remeber, the deadline is December 14.

You can get the application and all of the info at http://www.surfacefabricationdesigncontest.com.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist any of you.

Best,

Kevin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.