Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Dan McAfoose

If you have had problems with sink bar cracks, let me know!  I have been doing some research and would like to see what we all have in common.  We have had some lab testing completed and the results are very interesting.

Jon Olson
    What’s the difference between a granite fabricator and Solid Surface fabricator?

You cant see out cracks!  seamless

Just a little joke.  Sorry I cant help you with your question but I’m sure someone can

Posted By Dan McAfoose on 01 Oct 2010 08:31 AM
    If you have had problems with sink bar cracks, let me know!  I have been doing some research and would like to see what we all have in common.  We have had some lab testing completed and the results are very interesting.

Dan:

Welcome to the fabnet.

What do you mean by “sink bar cracks”? A bar top with a sink in it? Did the sink crack or the countertop?

How about some background. You’ve got a lab?

Joe

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We don’t do a lot of bar sinks, but the ones we have done don’t seem to have any issues. I am surprised to hear there may be and problem.

Bill Wolle

Could you possibly mean the rods put into the bottom of the stone to strengthen it along the front and back of a sink?

Karl Crooks

Posted By William Wolle on 04 Oct 2010 12:22 PM
    Could you possibly mean the rods put into the bottom of the stone to strengthen it along the front and back of a sink?

Thats what I think he’s talking about.

Dan McAfoose

Sorry for the confusion, the bars front and or back crack the length of the countertop parallel to the sink.  We have seen it with both steel and fiberglass rodding.  I have seen this topic on here prior to my post. Just looking to see if anyone else has had the same issue. I would like to see what we have in common, adhesive, rodding methods etc.

Dan McAfoose

Bill Wolle

So what you are saying is that you are seeing cracks in the tops that follow the channels you are cutting into the bottom of the countertop where you install the rods?

If that is the issue at hand…

How deep are the channels?
    Are the channels being completely filled with epoxy/adhesive?
    Are the rods rusting and expanding causing the cracks?
    Is the reveal left in the countertops at the front and back too narrow?
    Are you verifying support from the cabinetry even with the sink rods?

We are probably going to need more info to help you out.

Dan McAfoose

The channels are just deep enough to allow for the 3/8 fiberglass rodding.
    Yes, we completely fill the channel.
    No there has been no rust on the steel rods. We have since switched to fiberglass completely.
    The reveal I am not certain what your asking.
    My installers first priority is to cover the floors, second is to check cabinetry with a 6 foot level for any problems with the cabinet installation.
    The problem I beleive is with the epoxy adhesive expanding over time with exposure to moisture.
    I am interested in what brand and type of adhesive the other fabricators who have had this issue where using.

Karl Crooks

Yes we have seen this type of problem, we get called to fix the cracks when it happens to Stone and Quartz counters.

Rodding is obsolete. Quartz manufacturers do not recommend it. With the suction cup and bar technology available today for transporting, delivering and installing tops why waste money and time rodding?

Joe

Bill Wolle

Yep, couldn’t see the forest for the trees. Quartz = no rodding. Thanks for the reminder Joe.

Tom M

I did not see where he indicated whether it was quartz or stone.

We still rod the stone.
    Alright back there, no nasty comments. I see you snickering….

Lenny E

Hi Tom,

Ive seen alot of bar cracks, mostly from chicks wearing low rider jeans at the beer joint! All joking and kidding aside,  thanks, after reading the last line in your post I almost made a funny Comment!

Now you should know in E stone, we control the vertical, the horizontal and the 16 dimensions in string theory. We have incoming Raw material specs, in process QC checks, and final out going finished material checks!

As for stone (granite) it’s a natural material, that was spewed with great orgasmic pleasure from volcanoes! Its earth sperm! Did you ever see a smoking volcano plume? That’s the dude smoking a cigarette after the act!

Granite, unlike Estone is variable, Some of it is a child prodigy and performs well, while others are the demon seed, and will cause no end to problems!

In stone, Rod on Tom!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.