Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author

Yesterday, DuPont Europe announced a price increase across the board – sheet, sinks, glues etc. – of 10% effective from June 1st. Reason given is the steep increase in worldwide demand for Methyl MethAcrylate due to its use now in manufacture of flat screens.

Any sign of something similar in the States?

Tom M

Our DuPont prices are going up as well. I don’t think it is 10 percent, though.

They are confident that, once they raise their prices, everyone else will follow.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

There is always an excuse why they raise prices. Anyone remember what it was last time.

Lenny E

MMA shortage, yeah right.

Ever notice how when there is a perturbation (mideast war or rumor of war, refinery explodes, over zealous speculation etc.) the price of oil and oil products sky rockets instantly.

Yet when the price of oil drops it always takes months for that drop to make it to the consumer. Yeah I used to hear all the standard excuses from the MMA and resin suppliers, we buy in bulk, we have to work off our more expensive supplies before lower oil prices kick in, yada , yada.

Flat screens huh? The excuses get more imaginative all the time.

Jeff Vickers

Hi Patrick,

Many thanks for the alert.

We use the distributors (CD) and they have not given us any notification to date.
    The increase could be raw material costs, but I believe DuPont are really trying to maximise their margins and reduce the over demand.
    The speed of the increase implementation will not help the already hard pressed fabrication community and could speed up the demise of more than a few fabricators.
    Jeff

Avonite is up to..Now the shipping is 200 bux per sheet…it doesnt matter to me how much they charge though..the customer pays this…problem is that it may price themselves right outta the market..

I mean 1200 a sheet and they dont sell halfs anymore…the solution is though guys we just gotta sell to a different arena of clients..didja know there are actually people who want to pay more for stuff out there..not everyone in this world wants a deal…some people just want what they want and ask you how much to make the check out for?

If they dont want these products..there are great deals on other brands of Seamless surfaces..Dovae, I cannot even keep track of all the brands out now..

just post up the price increase in ur office and show it to customers so you can jack up ur prices too.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Problem with the price increases, third one for Corian, is they are pricing themselves into the quartz market. Solid surface cannot compete with the hype of quartz, they will get killed.

Supposedly this increase is worldwide and you in the US should have been informed at the same time as the UK. I suspect that your Distributors may have been advised but you decent fabs have not yet been told.

How does a 10 – 15% increase sound to you all?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The increase is fine but there are alternatives to quality solid surface and I would suspect many will choose a less expensive option especially if budget is the main criteria.

Funny how pricing for most items have stayed steady except for food, gas and Corian.

avonite pedals collections is as much as vetrazzo..and I dont hafta put all that build up on…the only reason I like Avonite is cause people still love its beauty…but if theri designs are ruled by budget created by homeowners with home depot magazines…fugehettaboudit..thye might as well get Granite…the prices I seen on granite lately its cheaper than laminate..by the time I glue up and buy the plywood, rout etc..

as long as designers keep making no big deal about countertops…they design the layout of kitchens and spend all that time with drawer design etc..then they tell the customer to go get whatever for the tops and make sure it just matches the floor..

Corian and Avonite have decided to not compete on price and as one who does the same, I can hardly blame them. If you want it, pay for it. Put your markup on it and go.

Gene:

You are right about the granite pricing and it’s killing the bottom feeders. There is nothing at twenty-nine a foot, I don’t care how damned efficient you are.

Joe

KCWOOD

I fought against the stone product for several years… then i found a rock head  fab that does good work. (hey Matt)

When I can make a phone call and sell a granite or quartz  job.. it’s good money, plus I get the opportunity to upgrade their kitchen as well with new doors, drawers, whatever…

I have fallen for the quartz… to me, there is no better kitchen top. Why not spend a little more and get a product that does not scratch anytime you look at it.

I guess I have a conscience… but I really feel bad for the guy i sold that Formica solid surface top to. This older couple does not do anything to it, but when anything touches it, it leaves a mark… after 2 months it looks awful.. I am going to go and do a re-polish for free… and I have made them some more trivets… but geez… this was not a product to use in a kitchen… sorry Formica… but Copper Matrix should never be sold for kitchen use… IMO.. 🙁

I think if there was a 25mm or inch acrylic product that was cost effective and available that I would be able to take on the stone guy’s. I loose alot of jobs to the 20mm stone product. We need a product that doesn’t need substrate and can be installed quickly. I am not happy with the 30mm product available either I don’t think it’s what the market place wants also it is a poly blend not acrylic.

Lenny E

25 mm, thats easy to do in polyester blend, a lot more difficult but still do-able in acrylic.

Why 25 mm? Why not 20mm?

Peter, please forward your request up the manufacturing chain and let me know what happens.

Hey Lenny some of my reps are talking about it, 25 mm is a bit bigger than the stone guys and smaller than the 30mm stone. I just think it would be a big seller for vanity’s and commercial use even builders kitchens. The manufacturers just have to wake up to themselves about other options to help stimulate the market including 920mm wide sheets.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.