Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 312 total)
  • Author

New face here. Brian Althouse from north central Indiana. I’ve been a carpenter for 20 years now, but just recently started my own sub-contracting business. It seemed nobody wanted to bid the small projects so I decided to go after them myself. I’ve been doing doors, ceilings, floors & framing the past 2 years. I got certified for solid surface, thru my union several years ago. Now that I’m out on my own, I’m trying to find my way back into more GOOD work!! I really hate to see some of the work around here that some people are putting out. I’m really looking to find my way into the restaurant scene. I’ve got several years in casework & laminate tops, a few big solid surface projects & just getting into concrete counters. It seems there is plenty of room around here for somebody to put out quality work!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Welcome to the FabNet.

Shawn

Hey Everyone! My name is Shawn and I have been in the solid surface industry for 18 years and I’m just branching out on my own. I’m currently in the Tampa Bay area. I moved from Atlanta a couple of years ago due to my wife’s work. I have worked for small companies, large companies, and anything in between. I have extensive knowledge when it comes to solid surface and a great deal of knowledge when it comes to engineered stone and granite. I spent the last 8 years as a field measurer/templater for Oldcastle Surfaces in Atlanta before I was laid off. I thought my solid surfacing days where over after that event, but as my dear friend once said “You never leave corian, it’s the dust that seeps in your brain and you can’t get rid of it.” I am slowly putting my solid surface repair business together and am acquiring new tools as I go. I am also offering new countertops for another solution if the customer wants. If any members have some tools for sale let me know! I could be in the market for some of them.

Thanks,
    Shawn Hyder
    Counter Topology

Shawn, welcome to the Fabnet.

It sounds like you have a good base of knowledge.  For repair leads, you might try to contact http://www.nationwidesurfacerepair.com .  They may have a need for someone with your experience in the Tampa area.
    Johnny C
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Hello Shawn,

Welcome to the FabNet. Try the For Sale section. There are lots of tools for sale on an ongoing basis, you just have to keep looking.

Hello All,
    My name is mike. Ive been in the granite/marble/solid surface biz for 12 years now. Ive done everything from fabrication to sales. Ive loved this trade ever since I held my first alpha and touched it to a piece of volga blue.Since then Ive worked in just about every area of the business. My favorite of the trade would have to be fabrication/installation. I thank you for having a site like this where people can come and ask questions. I wish there was a site like this when I started out, there would of been a lot less mistakes. But it was the mistakes that taught me how to do it right! Even though Ive been doing this for so long I am still learning and still have questions.

Welcome Mike,
    Do you do much work at the lake? (Smith Mountain Lake for those that wondered). We just sold our home there this past November and found there was little upgrading that the folks at the lake wanted to do.

Hey everyone! I’m Josh, 20 years old. I currently fabricate, install, and do (some) repairs at Advanced Surfaces, Inc. in Corry, PA. I found myself in this career pathway roughly a year ago and instantly became enthused.

Though I’m young, I learned through work and through prayer that this is starting my career. I’m constantly looking for new methods, techniques, anything that will improve my overall experience in this field. A co-worker understands my dedication to learning and recommended this forum to me. From what I’ve read and watched so far, I’m very happy to have been introduced to this forum.

I hope to gain as much knowledge as possible through the members here and I hope to return the favor in the future. Any advice is worthy information.

David Gerard

Hi Josh. youthful enthusiasm welcome here!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Hello Mike and Josh, welcome to the FabNet. Post questions and help out as much as possible. We are all here to learn and share ideas.

See you on the Forum.

Andy
    FabNet Admin

Will do! Thanks for the open arms, guys. I’m looking forward to my experience with FabNet.

Welcome Josh..
    Corry eh?… I spent a lot of years in Erie. I still have a lot of contacts there and should anything come up, I will send them your way.

You can email me directly at @countertopartisans.com">rhugill@countertopartisans.com

Posted By Countertop Artisans on 31 Jan 2013 08:23 PM

Welcome Josh..
    Corry eh?… I spent a lot of years in Erie. I still have a lot of contacts there and should anything come up, I will send them your way.

You can email me directly at @countertopartisans.com">rhugill@countertopartisans.com

Awesome, I appreciate it! If I were to accept any personal jobs, I would have to confirm it with my boss… you might possibly know him – Steve Stoddard. From what I’ve witnessed, he seems to be known quite well.

The name doesn’t ring a bell. When I was in Erie, I was running a chain of gourmet cookie bouquet delivery service businesses that we developed and finally sold back in the early/mid 80’s.  From what I heard, the owners that bought it from us finally closed the doors on it all.

Seth Emery

Welcome, Josh, from Lititz, PA. Keep up the enthusiasm, and you’ll go far. The FabNet is a great place to learn. There are so many experienced fabricators here. Let me know if you’re ever in the Lancaster/Harrisburg area (this goes for all FabNetters). Maybe we can meet up and/or you could visit H.H. Ross.

Seth
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 312 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.