Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 312 total)
  • Author
    Brian Davis

Hello Everyone, My name is Brian Davis and I work for a company called Atlantic Plywood. We are a distributor located in the northeast and we distribute: Solid surface, Quartz, laminate, Plywood (obviously), hardware, finishes etc…. We have 9 locations all over New England, NY, NJ and VA. We service the fabricator, cabinet maker and architectural millwork shops in our markets.

I have been with Atlantic Plywood for over 15 years and have spent most of my career involved with the surfacing products. I am currently the Product Manager for our Solid Surface and Quartz lines. If anyone is interested you can go to our website at http://www.atlanticplywood.com.

I am proud to be part of this industry and look forward to speaking to many of you in the future!

Congratulations to Andy and Mory on a great site!

Brian

Hi John and Brad! John is one of our shop managers so now I have to watch what I say about him….just kidding. He is great and is learning a lot from you guys! Thanks for the help!

Rob Parker

Hello all, my name is Rob. I am the production manager for the ss division of Dippold Marble and Granite in DE. Ive been in the industy for ten years now. I have to say I have been reading this site and am very proud to be able to post with you all, Thanks Andy and Mory. Anyhow…….greetings to you all and look forward to chating.

Tom M
    Brian!
    Sorry I didn’t see your post earlier.

Nice to see yoiu here.

Tom

graffster

Hello all, finialy getting around to doing this.

My name is Al Gerhart. I own The Carpenter Shop, in oklahoma city. Union finish carpenter by training, then had a furniture factory with 40 people on the payroll back in the mid eighties, couldn’t make any money doing that, so I went into cabinets, got bored and started building furniture again, figuring if I was going to be poor, just as well have fun getting there.

I moved to OKC in the early ninties, still making furniture, and soon after the City decided to tear down the buildings I was leasing and put in a shopping center. So I had to quickly move to an industrial park, no frontage so I shifted back into cabinets. Started losing jobs to companies that did solid surface as well, so when George Faulkner, the distributor of Avonite came by, I jumped at the chance.

I fell in love with solid surface. It is so easy to correct mistakes, renew and modify, that I saw that it was the perfect counter top material. Been doing it since 2001, growing every year, this year we made #36 on wood and wood products list of the fastest growing companies, and have been selling the most residential Avonite in the state of oklahoma for a couple of years now.

We still do lots of cabinets, am just starting a little granite fabrication and am interested in doing e-stone in the near future.

makita-weeta

Me to Al.

Contrary to popular belief, my given name is not FEDSAWDAVE. My name is David Patrick George and I’m a native Floridian born in St. Pete, Fl. I’ve worked in the cabinet & solid surface tool supply business since 1984 when a friends dad gave me a chance to work for his business. As a 22 year old novice, I learned by listening to my customers, and asking if I could help them on the weekends to fabricate their products. That, was an experience! I worked for that company, and one more in the same industry till April 1999. At that time, the inept guy I worked for told me one to many times, after complaining of backorder after backorder, that if I thought I could do it better, then go do it. I did!

I started Federal Saw & Tool Companies, Inc in April of ’99, one day after I left that previous company. Along with my soon to be wife Frances, we contacted all of the manufactures that I was used to dealing with and asked them for credit on name alone. Most obliged so away I went as a 1 man sales force working 18 hours a day for a couple of years.

To make a long story a heck of a lot shorter, we now have 5 sales reps covering Florida, 3 inside sales counter reps, 2 people who take care of internet sales, 4 guys in the sharpening department, not to mention the office staff and delivery drivers and, my darling wife who has a full time career in advertising as we don’t want to work together full time as it makes for a better marriage…in our case anyway. 🙂 But, with out her calming force and direction in the beginning, we would not be where we are today.

I almost forgot to mention FEDSAWQUINN. He’s our 5 year old inventory counter. He comes in with dad on Saturdays and we knock out a math lesson or 2 by counting certain products. Only problem is he like to put stuff in his book bag. Found 15 or so mixing tips in his bedroom just the other day. He thought they were “big pencils”. LOL

Hello all,
    My name is Jeremy, I’m currently a CNC programmer @ Stone Trends in St. Louis. I’ve been working in the stone countertop realm for about 7 years now, but more or less grew up in a marble shop. The last 2 years or so I’ve been working w/cnc machines and slowly learning the programming side of things, and prior to that I did mostly fabrication and field work.

I have to say kudos to those that put this site together. I just recently found this place, but I’m amazed at how much information can easily be found here. Now when I think back to the days of banging my head against a wall trying to come up w/ a Kohler 2210 template, I can only smile.

Hey everyone!

It just occured to me that I have never introduced myself!

My name is Valerie (call me Val). I am Andy’s wife and better half. Andy and I have been married 13 years and I have been working with him and his family at Olive Mill in the countertop business now for 11 of those 13 years. This industry was quite a change for me seeing as how I hold a degree in Child Development (althought that does come in handy working with contractors) and at the time that we got married I was a preschool teacher.

I mostly work the sales end of the business. I LOVE TO SELL COUNTERTOPS! It has almost become an obsession.

I love this business and really love what is going on with this site. It is fabulous!

That’s me in a nutshell!

Val

Linda Graves

Just want to move this thread up so some of the new members will see it and introduce themselves. It has been too long since we heard from anyone.

Linda

I would just like to introduce myself. My name is Dirk Williams my father and I have a Cultured marble shop east of Dallas. I have been working my way into solid surface after work and weekends about 1 1/2 to 2 kitchens a week I have got a lot of helpfull tips from all the posts.

Dirk

Hello All,

My name is Robert Abbott. I and General Manager/Cad Designer for Tri-State Fabrication in Dothan, AL. We are a small all solid surface countertop company. I have been in the industry for a few years and love it. I am still learning in the marketing side of it all and we are trying to get into the commercial market. We have about a 3000 sqft building with a Fabricator’s Choice AXYZ’s CNC and we also use the PhotoTop Template system. I believe I am going to become addicted to FabNet’s website. That is my story in a nutshell, don’t hesitate to ask me anything from off the wall to industry related questions.

Robert

Tom M

Hi, Robert and welcome.

There is a thread going on over here about templatew systems. I would appreciate any input you might have.

Tom Mather

Alex Bentley

Hello hello hello to all you out there

I’ve been banging together counter tops for around 10 years now.

I started out my career applying laminate to the ends of post form and couldn’t wait to move forwarded from their.

So now I’m working in a small Mom And Pop shop in the High Desert of Southern California. My employer turned me on to your web sight and i must say that I’m very impressed with the quality of all of you and your commitment to the Industry. I must admit to you all that the owner has been living on this sight for the last two weeks and I hope that you’ve inspired him to move on to the next step of two jobs a week to maybe fore or more. You’ve sure Inspired me to want to be and do More.

Thank You All and I will continue to read and learn

Bigg Oger

Gordon Doull

Well, what do you know? I’ve never seen this thread before.

Anyway, my name is Gordon Doull. I run a repair and refurbishment shop in So. California, fixing and re-finishing Solid Surface, E-Stone, and Natural Granite/Stone surfaces. My partner, Ron Corrales and I have been incorporated here at Surface Authority since 2002. We are still a rather local, family owned business that looks to support both fabricators and residents (after initial purchase) into realizing the renewability and longevity of thier product. Our passion is to employ or create new ways to refresh and maintain countertops such that they wind up staying in place and not in the dump. I look forward to the contacts and conversations that I have on this site, and hope that our input adds to it’s character. Please feel free to contact me off-line or directly @ 800-514-0739 or @ gordon@surfaceauthority.com

There IS a story to the picture. Look elsewhere in this site for details.

David Gerard

Hello fellow fabricators, my name is Dave G/Gerard HouseWorks and G-String Guitars. I own and operate a small shop in Homer Alaska. I have been a full time builder in Alaska for 25 years specializing in cold climate const. and superinsulated techniques. We build from the ground up and everything inbetween except utilities. 3 or so years ago I was getting the life sucked out of me by some very large jobs with large crews. I befriended the solid surface fabricator and mentioned I would like to learn that trade, he took me seriously and we joined up together. Since I had the shop and years of cabinet exp. I soon entered the world of powder coated EVERYTHING. My brother also is in on the endevor. The pop. in Homer is quite small 3500 or so depending on the season. We suppliment the top buisness with cabinet installs,boatwork ,guitars and lots of laminate jobs. I recently attended the show in Orlando. Wow ! What culture shock! I felt like I lived on the moon. The reg. desk had no location for me so I walked around with N/A around my neck. Made for good conversation. Anyway thanks for the forum and as I have read here and there I will be in for some good banter. I will be the one will lots of mispeelings and Typos . I look forward to participating in the forums and I will have lots of question since many of our customers like Avonite glass series Cheers, Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 312 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.