Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    B Kirschner

David, take the Avonite course, it is a lot cheaper and everybody accepts it for certificaion. You get a vanity top with bowl and a small L top that you can ship home for samples. They feed you really well too, no need to bring fish.

David Gerard

Al, that sounds perfect since we do lots of Avonite tops. I was just informed fri. that the kitchen center where we show our wares is going to be the Avonite distributor in our area. Funny how things turn out. Thanks, I will definetly look into it.

Thanks for the tip and all the rest David G.

Norm Walters

Al and David, all Avonite distributors operate differently, I don’t recall getting a top with my class and also the class wasn’t exactly the most informative.

Dan Allais

Norm, take the course at Belen NM Avonite plant. Top knotch, starts off with an a$$ eating by the warranty contact person telling you that she doesn’t ever want to hear your name on a complaint. In a nice way, very effective and makes you pay attention. Plus you can advertise factory trained and certified.

I would imagine that the distrubtor run classes are pretty basic.

Norm Walters

Al, basic is not the word. The guy was cleaning the top between grits with a shop brush, WTF?

does the class in NM give hands on for field seams? I went to our local Floridian Avo class and I thought it was great. However i didn’t get hands on…I went to the Advanced Class which i thought was awesome on glass series and showed us chiseled edge,etc. I thought when someone is certified I thought it meant they were good, that to me only means they can buy material…I would really hire someone to help me trained at the factory first before watching someone else make a top…My first sales were not Vanity tops they were big unique projects and field seam bartops..Thank to my past woodwork and laminating experience or i never would have done it..I’d be certified though

Norm Walters

I am not an ISSFA member anymore so don’t get the impression I am plugging them, but, their total fabrication class is second to none in my opinion. After their class you will have a clue as to how to fabricate a top, along with alot of details on do’s and dont’s. It is expensive, but if you could send one employee or yourself to it and then teach the rest what was learned it could be cost effective.

After taking any class, this Network is an invaluable source of information from industry experts that have made all the mistakes which have cost them money, just by asking, you can save some of yours.

David Gerard

Hey Norm, I want you to know that I am stiil thinking about you mentioning IFASS’s class bring very comprehensive. This is why im torn between going there or for less money going elsewhere. I have been fortunate enough to be doing lots of diff. brands full time in my shop for 3 years. I have been gaining alot of experience with every job. Because of my distance from the mainstream we have always done our own problem solving. I know there is so much to learn. I feel very fortunate to have walked by Andy’s booth and gained access to this site. Going to a formal class maybe a formality at this point. Me being the tight-wad have to have the best bang for my buck. I hemorage money when I have to leave here for anything. Either way it will be money well spent Im sure. I don’t pretend to know anything about ISSFA but my first impression in Orlando wasn’t that great. Could have been the person I spoke to. My mentor/partner will not participate with ISSFA. for the same reasons as the rest. I have plenty of time yet to decide, no hurry. thanks DG

Bill horine

Gene,

it has been six years, but then they did run you through a seam with a paralign on the L top.

I allways said that most fabricators will screw up the first top even after they come out of the class. Real world experience makes you remember what the teacher said.

Jon Olson

My card says “you cant see our cracks”

Tom M

My card says “you cant see our cracks”

That reminds me. Today, I had to template a vanity top while a plumber was putting the valves in.

Tom M

These are one of the few times I’m glad I wear suspenders.

Wags

May want to look into Penske’s training class. Very indepth and the shop is an operating fabrication shop. so you also get real world experience.

FTR I am not associated with Penske, just respect his knowledge and dedication to the solid surface industry.

www. pinske-edge.com

David Gerard

I called Avonite today, May be able to get enough students to justify them sending up a teacher. The company that is my showroom is now a distibutor. Now I need to line up a more centraly located shop. That’s going to be the problem, my competition! Might have to sweeten the pot…….. fish on!!! Tried to convince Pinske of a class in Nov. I go down to Minn. to hunt with my bros. That what Pinske’s guys are doin too. Can you tell I want my cake and eat it too

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.