Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Dave Hines

I read this no less than 6 times. Thought I was missing something. This is the tag line on a business card I was given yesterday by a walk-in stone fabricator:

“It Doesn’t Just Seam Right”

I don’t know if I should laugh, or simply shake my head…

Brad Reamer

wow……and they say that our schools aren’t doing the job. Yet another sign of the apocolypse. Thanks Dave for providing me a momentary feeling of superiority.

Gary Whiting

Brad, If I were to actually give you the companies name on the card, now that you know the line they use, you’d fall off your chair.

Don’t want to post it here but if you want a laugh, e-mail me at: simplyservice@aol.com

Scott Pacino

BTW Brad, I read Wilcors company history on your site yesterday. Very impressive. Your father was certainly a visionary who took a risk and succeeded.

Brad Reamer

Thanks, Dave. Very kind of you to take the time to read that and to comment.

I just sent you the email…

Joe Corlett

FEDSAWDAVE wrote

BTW Brad, I read Wilcors company history on your site yesterday. Very impressive. Your father was certainly a visionary who took a risk and succeeded.

Dave:

Perhaps you noticed that Brad’s dad was the third inductee into the ISSFA Hall of Fame. I think Mike Duggan, ISSFA’s first Executive Vice President was the first and Don Slocum, DuPont’s inventor of Corian, was second. I tried to comfirm this on the ISSFA web site but apparently they consider our history unworthy of posting.

These guys are legends in our industry and as long as I draw breath, they won’t be forgotton.

Joe

Tom M

Joe,

I don’t know if this part of the site is for everyone, log in or not, but here is the link.

I kept at them and they delivered, so credit where it is due.

I am pissed about the Hall of Fame for many reasons, but Brad’s father is one of the few that I have never wondered about. Why my father, or the other early fabricator pioneers for the industry get turned down is beyond me. In fairness, my father was nominated and was a finalist. Lost to Tom Pinske, I think.

Another group that deserves the most recognition, but so far has received nothing, are the early reps for Corian. Those guys had the toughest job in the whole industry.

The other glaring omission on the awards posting is they have no records, so I’m told, of the Chapters of the year. This really frosted my pumpkin, because we got it while I was the State Coordinator.

Tom

Joe Corlett

Tom:

I tried the link and didn’t see anything related to the Hall of Fame. It seems odd that this should be non-public. Shouldn’t the accomplishments of your industry leaders be broadcast as loudly and as much as possible?

Maybe access to the Hall is a member benifit. Opps, sorry, my sarcasm surpressor has not been working consistently today.

No records of Chapter of the year? They don’t seem to be too good at keeping archives of any kind around there.

I would renominate your dad if I were you. How many great players make the Baseball Hall on the second round?

Persistently,

Joe

Lenny E

Hi all,

The Issfa hall of fame and dubious ISSFA awards in general. Interesting topic. Ive been nominated several times but due to internal politics will never get that award. My nomination it seems is an oxley-moron. Thats OK im a self motivated type A personality. Tom, give me your fathers name and I would be most honored to nominate him while I am still a member. MIght even hang in one more year to do so.

There is a funny story about ISSFA awards and politics. During my tenure Two recipients of ISSFA awards in the past (names with held but Im laughing so hard right now beer is about to come out of my nose. these names are biggies). The one said to the other..you nominate me for this, I will nominate you for that. Of course both won. I was speechless (anyone who knows me well can attest its a temporary condition that passes quickly of its own volition).

Ahh my ISSFA days. How I miss those cigar filled backrooms, and the good old boys cooking up the next political plot. The meglomania of its executive leadership and the junkets. AH I do miss those ISSFA junkets. Flying to and fro all oer the face of the earth for absolutely no reason at all., staying in 1st class hotels and wining and dining. I think I could be qualified as attorney general after that experience.

Best Regards,

Lenny

Tom M

Lenny,

I appreciate the offer. I nominated him already, and he went through most of the process, just failed at the final tally.

I’m a charter member, and am likely to continue my association with the association (heh) because someday we might need them again. Just not now, and in their present condition. There are many good voices iinvolved further down the line. Jon, who posts here regularly, is a godsend to the industry (enough sucking up) Norm, Seth (I think), others still do great volunteer work. As you said, it’s a bit higher up the pay scale where the issues are.

I knew very little history of the inner sphere of ISSFA ( a little Mech Warrior lingo there). I heard some things about embezzlement, and cooked books, but I find more all the time. It’s sad, but I suspect not unusual for an association who seems to have lost its way. I say this from the perspective of a State Coordinator for two and a half years. Awfully secret, that is.

As important as the actual early fabricators, are the early DuPont reps. Those guys – the guys that routed a snowstorm inside hotel rooms across the country were the early heroes of solid surface. Hardly anyone even remembers them. Those are the Hall of Famers, in my opinion.

Memory lane keeps getting prettier as time goes by. This industry used to be a lot of fun, when we weren’t falling all over ourselves to be themost competetive, or the fastest, or the newest.

Tom

Lenny E

Dear Tom,

You seem like a real dude. Geez if walls could talk. I was on the inside of ISSFA Formica etc. If I ever spilled my guts people would go to jail. Cooked books and embezzlement? Thats an understatement. However as consultants go (we are a spurious lot) Im as good as it gets. So I choose not to open the closets and let the skeletons come a tumbling out.

Anyway you are correct. Those old big C guys (remember when they offerred only a few solid colors?), deserve some mention. BTW Dr Don told me DuPont didnt even want to offer the product, but a push (campaign) by him and others convinced them otherwise. After millions of bucks later I think they owe Dr DOn a big bonus , a kisss on the butt and BRAGGING RIGHTS. What are your thoughts?

Laughingly,

Lenny

Tom M

Lenny,

I am wondering how to work the chart. Does two drinks get you to “Discuss the issues”, with about six or seven getting you to “Spill the beans”? I might be able to afford that.

I suspect, however that to get you to the “Spill the beans” level, it would be dangerously close to alchohol poisoning. I’m not sure I want to get that far.

My table saw side table is Harvest. Sierra long before sierra came out. I remember three Dawn Beige type colors. DB, Olive mist (we still have some 1/4″ sheets) and Regal Grey (Royal? Regal?). Cameo White and later, Almond were the only solids. Most prople don’t remember Marlan, or Solidex. I had a prototype Marlan sheet that started at 7/16″ on one end, and grew to 5/8″ on the other. We thought we’d be smart and reversed the build up, to get an even edge, and we found that the color varied as much as the thickness.

The product never went to market, if I recall correctly.

Kiss on the butt for sure, bonus? I’d have thought they did that already. Fah(!) on them if they didn’t. The man gave them gold in acrylic form.

Norm Walters

Tom, I didn’t renew my membership, I couldn’t justify it.

Tom M

Norm,

I can’t blame you, really.

I’m holding on out of sheer inertia.

And Jon.

David Gerard

Fellow Gents, All this info about ISSFA has me alittle baffled about whether or not I want to fork out enough frog skins to pay for 2 of us to take the SS class not to mention airfare ect. Maybe one of you big dogs could get recognized by the industry and hold classes. I don’t eat much, I could bring fresh fish! Seriously though, what to do?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.