Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    Chris Yaughn

This is my first attempt on a scrap piece. If you are transitioning to working w/ granite, you really need to look into this.  After I practice for a while I will be able to take scratches out of granite, as well as polish seams.  

I took out some scratche I  made w/ a diamiond blade.

Chris Yaughn

Forgot to add that the one on the left is the one I polished. The right side is a few inches to the side of the repair.

I need to stop at 2000g to match the factory on this, I think. (Kashmir White).

Considering the conventional wisdom in these parts is, if a granite top gets a scratch it simply, well…….. has a scratch.  This is a very exciting development.

Chris, do you seal after you got it to that polished look…and when taking out a scratch do you just grind down the scratch area or do you sand down seam to seam? I always wondered if you hadta remove a scratch would hafta take down the whole top?

I also wondered if the previous sealer cakes up your pads?

Looks shiny…Great job….
    i could imagine how shiny its gonna get when the sealer goes on

Chris Yaughn

Gene,

If I am following your question, you shouldn’t have to re-polish an entire run to fix a small scratch.  I am not sure you could reasonably ($ or time) do it that way. The trick will be to match the sheen.

Also, In my limited expereince, the sealer should not add shine nor would I expect it to gum up pads.  I could be wrong on that, but premium sealer, in my estimation should not alter the look of the stone.

I am still in the learning phase but very excited about the possibilities.

jan Pedersen

We’ve been top polishing for a year now, nothing to it. Some of the blacks (absolute is one) are problematic, but it can be done.

No need to polish the entire slab.

Karl Crooks
    Chris Yaughn

That is pretty much it.   I will try skipping the 2000 ceramic on the next lighter stone.  My first real live attempt will be on Black Pearl.

I still need to practice on scrap to be comfortable w/ that color, but I think I could do a lighter stone tomorrow.

What stinks now is thinking about a top about a month ago that could have been saved.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Our experience with any polished surface is that when you look across the material you will see a wavy area that doesn’t match the factory finish.

Is this the case with stone or can you get it so it looks perfectly flat?

Adam Nelson

We have been top polishing for over a year now and have been doing just fine with it.

Andy- If you get enough practice with it, you shouldn’t have any problems with waves in the surface.  I spent the better part of a week learning what worked for me and i still have to tweak the process from time to time on different stones.  I would just get out a piece of material and scratch it up and give it a shot!

I know that the ability to do this has saved me well into the thousands of dollars over the past year or so!

Eli Polite

go to stone advice my self as well as many others have posted much information on this subject i have been top polishing for 7 years

Chris Yaughn

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Let me start by saying, I do not top polish any of our stone seams.  We do it the traditional method.

I am curious to know if anyone doing this can actually top polish absolute black without noticing any inconsistency?  If so, why can’t you do this in the middle of an island to remove a scratch?

Karl Crooks
    Posted By Andy on 10/01/2008 1:00 AM
    Let me start by saying, I do not top polish any of our stone seams.  We do it the traditional method.

I am curious to know if anyone doing this can actually top polish absolute black without noticing any inconsistency?  If so, why can’t you do this in the middle of an island to remove a scratch?

Andy any issues with the finish of an island counter can be seen ezaly, as you can walk all the way around the island and look at the finish from all angles.  There is no forgiveness.

Gordon Doull
    Posted By Karl Crooks on 10/01/2008 9:51 AM

Posted By Andy on 10/01/2008 1:00 AM

Andy any issues with the finish of an island counter can be seen ezaly, as you can walk all the way around the island and look at the finish from all angles.  There is no forgiveness.

Karl is right here, Andy. Absolute black granite IS very unforgiving.

That said we DO top polish it and DO remove scratches from it fairly regularly. Absolute Noir Caesarstone too. The area has to be blended, but only slightly and the customers are always thrilled with the end result. Blue and Black Galaxy are equally difficult to put the full, original shine back onto.

Usually we come behind contractors/fabricators/installers that have scratched the products or tried to grind out unlevel seaming, leaving a hazed “trail” behind. We had to basically create the final process we use.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.