Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Paul Bingham

Mory,

To make the testing as fair and unbiased as possible, should the testing be done by someone who has never used any of the systems? That way no biases come into play.

Paul

Chris Yaughn

If you guys need a reaonably well educated, yet digitaly templating illiterate volunteer let me know. Currently we do not have much use for a digital system, with the exception being outsourcing e-stone. But, I’m always interested in new technology that will one day be relevant to what we are doing.

Chris

Tom M

Mory,

That’s a pretty interesting idea. The problems seem easy to work out, but I hope we can look at this differently than this guy versus that guy.

If I have learned anything so far in this whole miserable, fascinating episode, it’s that, once you weed out the truly mediocre systems, the choices are all excellent for doing what they were designed to do. The key is not which is better, because each is better in a different function. Not which is cheaper, as what you will gain will easily compensate for what it cost.

It’s more like: What’s the best match for how you function.

Although it is tempting to consider a dog fight between ET and PT.

Winner phones home, or something.

Gordon Shell

Tom,

I’ve been trying to reach you, give me a call after 12pm Thursday, I would like to answer any questions I can for you. 616-293-6170

Tom M

Thanks, Gordon.

I called and left a message. I will call back today.

Tom

Hey I read your post on the decisoin between the LT-55 and Photo-top. Both work well and are geat systems. I was courious if you have looked into the Proliner? It has the 3D that you were looking for that the LT does not have, and its really easy to use. Not to mention that time/speed wise it beats any other system out there. No set-up (no leveling…etc just plop it down and go) and no processing. Every line that is being taken is put into a DXF file automatically. Most people can template a 60-70 sq ft kitchen in 5-10 minutes w a DXF ready when they are done. Not sure if you attend trade shows, but if you do its worth your time to go around and look at the Proliner and EVERY system out there and see what fits your shop best.

Tom M

MIkebot22

Sure.

Now you tell me.

I visited your site. Interesting tool. But I ain’t going back now.

Seriously, I have made the choice and when I get a bit of a break, I will Finish the file document and explain my reasoning.

This was an incredible bit of FabNet excellence for me, and everyone who had input has my gratitude.

Tom

Gordon Shell

this is from the latest Stone world Mag page 112, I love testimonials!

Gordon Shell

another quote from the same article!

Tom M

Gordon,

You can edit the post and shrink the pics by grabbing them at the corners. Just saying.

Okay, for posterity, let me wrap this up by saying that, in the end, my choice was the LT-55.

The main reason was the refund, and the less initial expense in the training, which is not refundable from anyone (including the LT folks). That is as it should be, as no purchase can be entirely risk-free.

The Photo software products do seem to me to able to do more. There seems to be better after -site verification, discovery, and execution. The LT, however, should be no worse, indeed should be much better, than stick. There will be less messing around at the computer with the LT. We sometimes get bottle-necked at this point, so flow matters here, just as it does in the shop.

Our system of templating is a bit diffrent from most I hear discussed on this and other forums. We don’t make a full lattice – type template. We run 5″ wide strips along the backs and any end walls or obstructions, and measure back to the wall and forward to the edge, backing up all figures using framong squares and other reference aids. The LT will best accomodate our style and philosophy of templating, in this regard.

I should either have it at the shop, or will be seeing it soon, and I will continue to relay my opinions on performance in the future, but I think there is some major lessons to share here.

None of the top tier systems are bad. Every one of them seems worth the price. This became a choice between good and good, with the difference being what works best for your shop. I think if FabNet wants to pursue reviewing template systems, this is how they should look at the products. All are good, some are more “right” for your business.

Fab Choice are the much better marketters. Don, my contact for photo top there is excellent in his presentation. He has a good grasp of not just the operation, but the application of the system. The only fault I have with them is their web-site. It needs much work. That, by the way, applies to most of these guys.

E-Template did themselves a disservice that almost cost them any consideration on my part. If it weren’t for excellent after show work by the local rep, and by Nick at E Template, I wouldn’t have bothered. Inmstead, theirs will be the system I will look at next, if the LT doesn’t pan out.

The LT guys have the best mailing. I mean by far. Whether correct or not, they make their system out to be the easiest to learn, and with the best potential to be learned by employees who shy away from technology. To a person, every employee I had scan their literature and CD said that they get the theory behind the product. Don’t think that didn’t take a major place in my consideration. If the guys who will use it already seem comfortable with the idea, I am ahead. Also, the money-back guarantee is worth more when I don’t have to spend a couple more thousand that will be unrecoverable if I wish to return the product.

Everyone here who has taken part in the template discussion(s) on FabNet gets a warm thank you from me. It was truly incredible to read, and your input, in many ways, is more valuable than the salesmen’s input (no offence, Gordodn). The best lesson I learned was that I have a great resource for asking questions and getting differing viewpoints. Thank you, Andy and Mory, for the opportunity.

Tom

Sneak Peek of Photo-Top 3.0, I have been beta testing it, Not sure of the release date.

Here are a few of the highlights of Version 3.0

• New Look/Feel – Version 3.0 reflects a new and updated look.
    • Built-In Documentation – Selecting “F1” launches your PDF Reader and opens the latest built in PhotoTop User Guide.
    • Area, Bounding and Perimeter Dimension information – after the user has Created a Top the system will create three Piece dimensional values:

—- Area (sq. inches) – the total square area of the first Top Created

—- Bounds (inches) – the total length & width of the Top, defining the very left/right boundary measurement and the very top/bottom boundary measurement.

—- Perimeter (inches) – the total outside perimeter of the Top

• Increased speed in loading pictures when Job/Piece is loaded or when selecting a different Piece
    • Undo/Redo History – Version 3.0 offers a very powerful undo/redo feature where the use can view a list of previous actions and manually select the action they wish to “go back to”.
    • Zero Radius Fillet
    • Multi-Fillet – same tool as the Fillet tool except, the user can simply click on the first line, click on the second line, the third line, etc., until the user has come around “full circle” back to the first line.
    • Make Top – This is by far the greatest feature to come on the PhotoTop scene since V2.7. This feature allows the user to create a “Closed Shape” of the Fillet Lines. This presents a very powerful visual representation of the Template Shape/Edges for the user to view both in the CAD and Photo window. While moving through the pictures the user is able to quickly see that the PhotoTop Template follows the contours of the cabinets/walls etc.
    • Create Top Dimensional Data – as soon as the user creates the TOP the system automatically generates the Sq./Area, Bounding and Perimeter dimensional data.

Tom M

So for an extra 5-6 g’s I get the features I already have in a $150.00 CAD program with rendering?

Hmmm…. nope, not enough for the switch.

I am glad they are improving the options and have discussed this with them, but it’s not enough to justify. ETemplate already has a few of these features, but you still have to have the module on site to show the customer. That’s fine as far as it goes, but it completely decimates the cost advantage when deploying multiple units.

YMMV

Tom

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.