Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

I’ll help Norm with the track construction if it comes to be.

Chris

Hi Russ,

I only skimmed it quickly, but I didn’t see anything on software/technology again this year, with the exception of the digital templating shootout.  I definitely like that idea, but I was kind of hoping to see more in picking/purchasing business software/computer hardware etc. as well. 

Last year there was the AutoCAD seminar which I thought was a step in the right direction which I don’t see this time around.  Did that seminar not go well last year?

Chris

Russ Lee

Norm and Mike,

If this thing actually happens at least one thing we know is the track will be built right with you guys on the job. Thanks for offering.

I guess we just need to see if there is enough interest from everyone to take the next step. Hopefully we will get some feedback here.

Check out this video and other links like it at You Tube on actual races. It’s pretty cool. I like the runner-up video the best where the belt sander is launched into the crowd. If you have a little time to burn watch the two formula 1 videos as well.

Chris,

“Software” is kind of a wide topic. Could you be just a tad more specific about what you are looking for?

Are you talking about enterprise software in the vein of Moraware, etc? Or more like software to drive and maximize the use of equipment like a CNC?

BTW, there is a class on CNC tricks and treats scheduled for Orlando that will, undoubtably, cover software on a peripheral basis.

The CAD class went well last year considering there were slightly more than a dozen people who attended over three days. It was an awesome deal — 4 hours of almost one-on-one tutoring per session. Unfortunately, since turnout was low and the costs were disproportionately high, it is hard to justify doing it again this year. Of course, like anything else, if the attendees want it and let it be known that they will support it, we will find a way to make it happen.

Russ

Karl Crooks
    Posted By Lenny E on 08/29/2008 3:16 PM

Karl,

Can I ask for your help…on getting beltsander races at the expo?, it would be really cool and fun. They even have a beltsander racer association who has rules. Ive always wanted to see that at a show. I would have preferred Vegas, where we could get it into the sports book, but Orlando will have to do.

Im sure Kowboy has a souped up, big block , supercharged  beltsander hes just dying to race. BTW ,my moneys on Kowboy, the beltsander King!

Smiles,

Lenny

Lenny I’d be happy to help any way that I can, but I’m on the left coast and it looks like there are others that want to help that are on the right coast. That might work out better

Karl Crooks
    Posted By Russ Lee on 08/29/2008 4:24 PM
    Karl,

The reason there are so many concrete classes and clinics is because we are co-locating with the Concrete Countertop Institute. What that means is they are running their full program in conjunction with the regular Expo, including their annual meeting. The CCI doesn’t cut into the available space or budget in anyway — it’s just another arrow fabs can think about putting in their quivers. If they have no interest in concrete, they can pretty much avoid it entirely.

When you mention alternate uses for solid surface and quartz, do you have anything specific in mind? Do we have enough data and experience out there to build a class on the concept?

Good idea.

Russ

Russ, I got in now, Thanks !

As far as alternate uses there are MANY, we are seeing more and more all the time. Companies like Jon’s and several other Fab’s are really diving into this, its happening now and will continue to grow at what looks like a very fast rate. On top of all of that its interesting and fun to work on something other than counter tops.

Karl Crooks
    Posted By Andy on 08/29/2008 12:14 PM

Posted By Karl Crooks on 08/29/2008 11:53 AM
    Boy there’s alot planed on Concrete countertops, I would like to see less of that and more on Solid Surface (Maybe around other uses besides counter tops) and more on Quatrz (Maybe other uses here also and ways to prevent  failures) I’m just saying thats alot on Concrete, if the market is that big, we better start learing how to fix all of those Concrete counters that will be installed in the next few years.

Concrete may be the perfect market for you Karl.  There will surely be many repairs needed.  The material doesn’t seem to be as durable as others.  It does offer a unique look.  Check out the Vetrazzo, IceStone and Urban Slabs.  There are others out there as well.  This isn’t just Poured in place concrete like we think.

Maybe a suggestion to Russ and you could get in there and do a clinic about repairs on solid surface and granite.

Andy your right, I still tend to thing of poured in place solid Concrete counters. The newer slab products with glass and such in them are cool and I’m pretty sure that we could repair them now as they are close to some of the Quartz products. Thanks 

Chris

Russ, that’s a good question.  I’ve talked to Sandy a bit about it before when we were discussing the sort of technology gap we tend to run afoul of and ways we could help close it. 

There is the hands-on training avenue, like the AutoCAD seminar, but perhaps expanded to include simple things like Windows, more common programs like QuickBooks/Peachtree, and more specialized programs such as Moraware, QuickQuote, Ecounters and what have you.  I understand that carries with it a prohibitive cost element due to the need for equipment and the like and is rather narrow in scope though.  This is actually something we’re trying to figure out how to do ourselves.

Another idea focuses on the pros/cons of various technologies available.  I think I summarized it at the time as “What is software and why do I need it?” 

The last one would be more towards learning how to go about to go about evaluating and purchasing various tech-related tools.  How do I choose the right software package for me? What do I look for to distinguish between quality stuff and a rip-off? How do I decide if my business needs a network?  What kind of computer(s) do I get?  Stuff like that.

So that’s more or less what I was thinking about.

Tom M

Belt sanders not to be used on solid surface tops? Mais non! I just used mine on some SS tops I’m making for my boat.

Jon Olson
    We used to race belt sanders in the shop before we learned about safety. This is how we did it . The track was 20 feet long. The electrical cord was 25 feet long. We would click the sander switch to on. To power the sander we would plug the electrical cord into the socket. It made for a more fair start.
    David Gerard

How many can be raced at a time?  plug them into switched power strip then one of the Fabnet  ladies flips the switch. 

ya hafta have melamine walls spaced 6″ apart to guide them down the strip..if not im gonna put nials sticking out from the sides to tear up the other racers

heres a picture of my 69 buck Black and decker racer…i love porter cable..but the dragster is fast…Im trying to put nitro in it

Varoooooooom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster
    Posted By Gene McDonald on 09/02/2008 5:18 PM
    ya hafta have melamine walls spaced 6″ apart to guide them down the strip..if not im gonna put nials sticking out from the sides to tear up the other racers

heres a picture of my 69 buck Black and decker racer…i love porter cable..but the dragster is fast…Im trying to put nitro in it

Varoooooooom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gene, my kid got one of those sander in his toy set for his third birthday.  I didn’t know it actually worked for counters.  Just kidding around. 

Do you use that for racing?

Andy, that sander is bad it cant sand crap on the surface but what i like about it is it flips up the front in case to get in tight corners or whatever the PC cant get in

worth the 69 bux for your install box…I race it but its not as fast as i would like…..Im gonna make my racer…just wanna see how wide the limit is …Im gonna attach a giant Airboat fan to the back of my beltsander…thats why I wanta see how Norm and Mike  are gonna make it…bet on me you’ll surely win…

Norm Walters

I’m thinking a mica surface for the track, so Gene will just sit there and burn rubber,(or ummm mica)

David Gerard

Gene, are you gonna hot glue Mr Squirrel to that thing?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.