Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Russ Lee

Hi All,

The seminars and clinics for the Expo in Orlando are coming together and I wanted to share with you our preliminary program for your comments and suggestions. While it is not exactly cast in stone (or solid surface) quite yet, we are getting very close to finalizing many aspects of the program. If you wish to make comments, now would be the time to do it.

Here is the link: http://www.sitesnsolutions.com/Expo%20Conferences.htm

I posted the preliminary program on my site because it is not yet official.

It is worth noting that several FabNetters are playing a key role in the conference program this year. Andy and Jon are both on the Advisory Council that sets the tone and course for the conferences. Tom will present the design awards and will moderate our Industry Leaders Panel at the Keynote Session. Gene will deliver a fired-up session about becoming a Green shop and Lenny will be in town to host at least two sessions from a mad-scientist’s perspective.

As has already been mentioned on another thread, the Expo is co-locating with the Concrete Countertop Institute, which will have a pavillion on the show floor as well as present a series of conferences and clinics devoted to concrete countertops.

Per Andy’s suggestion, we are doing our best to inject an element of fun into the Expo this year. That is reflected in some of the clinics, which will be either participant competitions or hands-on demonstrations. Although I don’t have anything to do with the exhibits, we are also encouraging exhibitors to have as many hands-on/demonstration/activity-oriented offerings in their booths as possible.

I think it’s going to be a great show. Please look over the program overview and offer any suggestions or comments.

If you don’t want to post publicly on this thread, please feel free to email me at russ@sitesnsolutions.com or call 801.766.4572.

Russ

David Gerard

Wags,  are you in charge of the Porter- Cable poster girl signing segment?

Karl Crooks

Boy there’s alot planed on Concrete countertops, I would like to see less of that and more on Solid Surface (Maybe around other uses besides counter tops) and more on Quatrz (Maybe other uses here also and ways to prevent  failures) I’m just saying thats alot on Concrete, if the market is that big, we better start learing how to fix all of those Concrete counters that will be installed in the next few years.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster
    Posted By Karl Crooks on 08/29/2008 11:53 AM
    Boy there’s alot planed on Concrete countertops, I would like to see less of that and more on Solid Surface (Maybe around other uses besides counter tops) and more on Quatrz (Maybe other uses here also and ways to prevent  failures) I’m just saying thats alot on Concrete, if the market is that big, we better start learing how to fix all of those Concrete counters that will be installed in the next few years.

Concrete may be the perfect market for you Karl.  There will surely be many repairs needed.  The material doesn’t seem to be as durable as others.  It does offer a unique look.  Check out the Vetrazzo, IceStone and Urban Slabs.  There are others out there as well.  This isn’t just Poured in place concrete like we think.

Maybe a suggestion to Russ and you could get in there and do a clinic about repairs on solid surface and granite.

Sue Turner

Karl, just think if you start repairing concrete counters you could branch out into sidewalks and driveways

Karl Crooks
    Posted By William on 08/29/2008 12:33 PM
    Karl, just think if you start repairing concrete counters you could branch out into sidewalks and driveways

Yes and slab cracks, concrete building and so much more !!!

Lenny E

Karl,

Can I ask for your help…on getting beltsander races at the expo?, it would be really cool and fun. They even have a beltsander racer association who has rules. Ive always wanted to see that at a show. I would have preferred Vegas, where we could get it into the sports book, but Orlando will have to do.

Im sure Kowboy has a souped up, big block , supercharged  beltsander hes just dying to race. BTW ,my moneys on Kowboy, the beltsander King!

Smiles,

Lenny

Jon Olson

Hello Lenny there has been talk of this. I think one of the stumbling blocks is liability. Russ knows more. 

Lenny E

Opps Jon,

Yep the ole lawyer liability issue. Sorry, I didnt think of that but thanks for so astutely pointing that out. Maybe some t forming guru could T form a plexi glass enclosure for the track.

Lenny

Russ Lee

Lenny,

Actually the lawyers didn’t weight in on this one.

There were some comments that belt sanders were so NOT solid surface that they doubted anyone would even have one in his shop. Maybe it’s a psychological thing — belt sanders are to solid surface what slavery was to the South and Hitler was to Germany. Better out of sight, out of mind.

However . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . should someone feel passionate enough about the idea to make belt sander races happen, or at least head up the effort, I think it would be a blast. We just need a sponsor and some willing hearts and hands.

We even had it on the schedule at one time — the first day for prelims and the finals on Saturday, with no competing clinics being held so everyone could attend.

I’m behind ya on that one.

Russ

Lenny E

Thanx Russ,

Legalistically My advice would be to make everyone sign waivers (participants and audience), and  insure the thing.

A beltsander is a tool, not for the inexperienced. I for one wouldnt use it on solid surface, but Im a fabrication dweeb. However Ive seen some fabbers work wonders with them. But then again Ive seen bullets removed with chopsticks.

Also contact the beltsander association, they come, set up the track, and do alot of the work. Id be willing to chip in some bucks as a sponsor, as long as Kowboy, has my logo on his supersonic sander.

Lenny

Russ Lee

Karl,

The reason there are so many concrete classes and clinics is because we are co-locating with the Concrete Countertop Institute. What that means is they are running their full program in conjunction with the regular Expo, including their annual meeting. The CCI doesn’t cut into the available space or budget in anyway — it’s just another arrow fabs can think about putting in their quivers. If they have no interest in concrete, they can pretty much avoid it entirely.

When you mention alternate uses for solid surface and quartz, do you have anything specific in mind? Do we have enough data and experience out there to build a class on the concept?

Good idea.

Russ

Russ Lee

I like a guy with deep pocket$.

We’ve placed several phone calls to the beltsander assoc. but they still haven’t gotten back to us, so we don’t even know what they would charge. We do know they are located on the West Coast, so there would be shipping charges to get the track to Orlando, drayage and setup costs, plus per diem and labor costs for the guys running the show. At the time it seemed a pretty high cost to benefit, considering there wasn’t a lot of enthusiasm for the idea.

An alternative might be if some enterprising fabs in the Orlando area were willing to build the track for cost of materials and then get some FabNetters to man the races. It could even become a branded thing for FabNet.

Please understand, I’m not lobbying for the idea, but I do see some definite possibilities.

I guess it all depends if there is any interest in the idea.

Lenny, I’ll mark you down in the “yes” column.

ok fellows…if belt sanders get banned or looked down upon …then we can ..make our own type of rolling vehiocles…this way the quartz fabbers, the concreter’s, etc

for example if you have grinder strap them up back to back…one on reverse and the one normal so it will haul butt

Im gonna glue two routers together and put rubber wheels in the collets..then Im gonna do another set and have this white two side board in the middle for Paid sponsors…..then Im gonna put spikes sticking out so it looks like a Mad Max vehicle and tear apart the other racers

who wants to sponsor my vehicle…im gonna attach a 8″ X 12″ banner…ads are 1″x 2″ and go for 300 bux a sticker…oh yeah and youse supply the sticker…hehehehehehehehehe

Norm Walters

I would help with the track and get it there, if there is enough interest in this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.