Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Tracy

Chris,

given the info available at the time (to us anyway), you made a good assumption (as did I) that the kid might have been wandering around. It appears that the father and son were against or very near the wall when an A frame a distance away broke. From the picture, it looks like they must have been between the wall and the last A frame.

When I am in a warehouse, or anywhere around a forklift, I tend to stay near the walls myself. Without a warning to stay out of the fall zone, this family seemed to be staying out of the way of the forklift since the shop owner was in the process of shifting some slabs for them to see. Something about the forklift needing a battery caused him to step outside for a second.

I could forgive this shop faster than I can forgive the MIA not publicising this event. No doubt hurting someone was the last thing on this shop owners mind, careless, even reckless as he was with the wooden A frames. Yet the MIA knows this could happen again. Even steel A frames can fail…..

I can see some fault for bringing a child into this situation, but most of us have done it at home depot. Explains why they close off three Isles and have dudes with flags walking around the lift when they shift a unit of plywood or lumber.

Del12345

Refresh Gene wrote

Wow KD noel…you are sure insensitive dude…whats going on? You just read that it wasn’t the parents fault, it was the fault of some Stone company…not like yours of course…Killed a little kid…its not bad parenting skills….would it hurt to say …well, maybe i was wrong in assuming the kids parents werent holding his hand…no you just post a headline for other feeder to bite onto as to Kids running around the yard..that wasn’t the case…is it that difficult to say you were wrong, alot of people are wrong that is why they put erasers on pencils…..You are just so defensive on stone its hard to believe, now instead of resolving one issue you send out another pop up about seat belts…your kidding me right? you cant be that insensitive…are your arms crossed right now looking at this post? You should never get that angry, Things I learned from someone with no humilty or integrity never say these three things…I was wrong..I don’t Know……and last but not least….I need help…….cool out man, we got life to go on this site you’ll never make it with a heart of STONE…

I have to disagree… I have 5 children myself and feel for the parents of the child. It is a heart breaking thing for any parent to lose a child under any circumstance.

What the HELL does this have to do with RADON may I ask?

If I wanted to RANT like someone else I would BUTT in here and ask you how many people have died for gas, oil, and it’s by-products in the last 100 years?

Sorry you took my post the wrong way

KD,

Gene didn’t take your post wrong, you blamed the parents and the kid for this tragedy, not the incompetence of the stone shop owner. It is plain that the MIA is more worried about it’s members than consumer safety.

Someone needs to post this subject on the consumer sites to warn customers of stone yards since the stone industry isn’t going to do it.

You know, at the Weyerhauser here in town, they have a stack of articles about people getting injured while loading trucks, killed even. Funny how they acknowledge the danger and make sure I know about it yet KD gets his panties in a wad if it gets brought up here.

Threads tend to wander, as they do on SFA, so quite whining.

Dan Skrlin

Marble Point and Marva Marble (Two yards I send my customers to) have signs posted that it is not a place for children and just like Weyerhauser make it perfectly clear to all the dangers. Another vendor actually provides a child care area.

Hell any insured business these days has warnings posted of the hazards.

Perphaps they warn that it is not a place for children, yet they don’t tell the entire story, do they?

I wonder if any consumers have been injured by granite bar tops falling off? Are consumers warned about that?

Tom M

Al, any top not made the way it is supposed to be made can injure someone. You’re making a case for giving customers good info, and following through on good fabrication. Same for us as the granite guys.

No difference.

Ali Hosseini

Tom,

A while back you mentioned that in an arguement with intelligent people it is not neccessary to point out the obvious, that a good quality sealer should be assumed. My point is that this applies here, all know that any top not installed properly, especially on a raised bar poses some danger, yet a three hundred pound bar is more likely to come down and will be far more likely to cause damage.

KD is attempting to do what stoners do best, bob and weave, although in this case he did quote two examples, keeping children out of stoneyards is not a common practice nor is it common to warn adults of the dangers.

Any stoner that comes here is welcome to his opinion. Passing that opinion off as fact is another matter.

In the long run, having the stoners come here and learn about solid surface is a good thing, makes for less general ignorance about solid surface and makes Andy’s site more inclusive to the other materails. Just don’t expect me to treat those I know from other forums, especially those who have shown me their true colors, as if they were not pushing an agenda. KD posted a link to some stone propaganda, one that Norm took care of quite handily. Once again it is obvious that the stone trade is good at coming up with “proof” that denies the obvious. Compounding that, blaming the parents or the child for this tragedy, then throwing out an arguements about car seats, then somehow using oil and gas as an arguement, all of this rather than address why the MIA covered this up so well that even those in the countertop industry weren’t aware of it.

Heck, wouldn’t it be easier to just find some science that backs his claim?

On the tragic death of the six year old, were it not for Surfaces, it is not likely this would have come to light.

Two things need to happen, first get this info out to consumers, and second write a peice about how to avoid danger when looking at slabs. Last week I met a customer at a slab yard to look at what she had picked out and made sure she stayed out of the forklifts way and had an escape route planned BEFORE she stepped between the A frames. I give my guys “the talk” everytime we unload slabs, thumping it in their head that no slab, no truckload of slabs is worth any risk of being killed.

I always say that I am not a nice guy, just protecting my workers also protects myself. Always trust people to do what is in their best interests.

Tom M

Then isn’t the more important argument here the need to choose a quality fabricator, using a quality and concerned stone yard?

Dan Dauchess

Couldn’t agree with you more!

Dan

Tom M wrote

Then isn’t the more important argument here the need to choose a quality fabricator, using a quality and concerned stone yard?

Amen!

Kisik Park

Sure as hell is. Another homeowner came in today looking for a way to fix there fallen sink. Granite hack simply siliconed it in. Happens more times than you think.

Cade Holt

FEDSAWDAVE wrote

Sure as hell is. Another homeowner came in today looking for a way to fix there fallen sink. Granite hack simply siliconed it in. Happens more times than you think.

Anybody here doing stone needs to realize Dave is right – HACK JOB – we use a bored hole and epoxy in a lead wedge anchor and use standard screws and clips. Many other good mechanical ways to do the same… never ever rely on silicone alone for gods sake or you may be a HACK.

Mark Mease

Kevin, still drilling in to the stone for those lead anchors are you? You’re definately old school. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Remember Kevin, we’re “Pro-sample.”

1-866-FED-SAW1

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.