Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Good advice Dave… I raised 5 children and they are all succesfull adults now, taught them not to play in the street or on the freeway! Good parenting skills I guess.

Wow should they leave the Kids in the car when they are shopping for tops then?Here in Florida that is a crime, Very insensitive to assume bad parenting skills cause a dingbat slab seller accidentlly killed a kid…wow you should edit that post dude before the parents see it .That Granite fabrication video shows thats one of the selling points is that Customers get to pick their own slabs, They might want to rethink that??? isn’t that an insurance violation?…it is awesome and impressive, all the tee-pees of slabs that shine in the rain and strangers walk between the heavy slabs of stacked cards? Scary in hurricane season huh?I know a lady that wonders why they didn’t leave it in a one peice u-shape to make it seamless? why dont they cut it that way?

DTillman

kdnoel wrote

Good advice Dave… I raised 5 children and they are all succesfull adults now, taught them not to play in the street or on the freeway! Good parenting skills I guess.

I don’t see how you can blame the kid, KD.

Tom M

Hey, how about another government watchdog agency?

Hey! Hey! I got it: pass a law banning it.

This is great stuff, here.

Chris Yaughn

I am missing some posts or something.

But it is hard to imaging how the parents are not at fault. Are they dead? Did the slab fall a few inches left or right of them? If not they were clearly not in control of thier child.

I see it all the time, and noone understands why little johnny doesn’t respect the law when he grows up. It is because he was never taught the concept of Law as a child.

[QUOTE]sanitychaser wrote

I see it all the time, and no one understands why little johnny doesn’t respect the law when he grows up. It is because he was never taught the concept of Law as a child.

I agree!!!

My wife was a single mom for 9 years before we bumped into each other. Her 2 boys were 3yrs. and 6 months when she became single. When the boys were teenagers one of their friends mothers asked my wife how she gets her boys to do chores around the house. She really needed to get hers to pitch in. My wife responed, “As a single mom, I needed help around the house quite a bit. The boys grew up knowing that they had a responsability to make a contribution to the household in the way of regular chores. If you waited until now, when the boys are teenagers, to get them to do chores. It is way to late!”

I think that understanding our resposability to society is learned much the same way. From the beginning.

I attribute our Boy’s successes mostly to their Mother.

Johnny C

Chris Yaughn

Johnny,

The strangest question I get is “How do you get your child to do that?” They are 2 and 4 and the tasks are (I guess) not the norm for the age. My response is usually “Uhmm, I tell them to.”

You Can even give them an option. Like, would you like to poop scoop the backyard now? Or when everyone else is going to the zoo?

Johnny C

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

sanitychaser wrote

Johnny,

The strangest question I get is “How do you get your child to do that?” They are 2 and 4 and the tasks are (I guess) not the norm for the age. My response is usually “Uhmm, I tell them to.”

Funny you say that. I feel the same way. If your a parent, you got to act like one.

You guys are killing me….. maybe we should word it like this…if you are in Mcdonalds eating and your Miltary school disciplined Kid is with you eating his or her happy meal and a worker walks by and accidently spills hot coffee on your Kid….that is not the kids fault the parents fault. it is an accident.. Granite slab was hot coffee in this case….guys your killing me with defense of the granite slab dropper….just for the record if it was Solid surface that fell on the kid out front of home depot near the hot dog stand and a strong wind came and hit em in the foot, please dont blame me guys, someday your kid might get stung by a bee…..dont freak out parents its not your fault

shaun2286

I tracked down the story of the child that was killed, several thing about it made me pause.

First was the concern that the MIA seemed to be more about protecting the stone industry rather than protecting consumers. The distribution of two CDs, one on basic shop safety and one on showroom safety were posted on page one of the MIA newsletter. Instead of stressing consumer safety, the vice president of the MIA is quoted saying that this shows the committment of the MIA to providing training info, with no mention of consumer safety. Once the back patting was done, it was revealed that the Florida Retail Federation was a partner in the effort.

Prominence was given to the basic shop safety CD, described in detail on page one of the MIA letter, several paragraphs given over to it’s description. The consumer video was given a single sentence on page one, near the bottom, and it seemed more about the risk that stringent safety regulations might be forced upon the stone industry than concern about small children in stone showrooms. Buried on page ten of the twelve page newsletter was the actual details of the death of the small child.

It seems that the family was standing near a wall, with the father and six year old being close together when a WOODEN A frame that was severly overloaded collapsed, causing a domino effect that dropped a dozen or more slabs, pinning the father and six year old child against a wall. The father was seriously injured, the six year old died instantly by crushing, and the mother was hit with flying debries. In a picture posted in the newsletter, there is a slender wooden A frame with eight to ten slabs sitting on it, gross overloading at best.

The family attorney sued for three causes of action, the wooden A frames being inadequete and over loaded, the placement in close proximity of A frames leading to the domino effect and the lack of warning of the dangers present prior to the family being allowed to enter the slab display area. The family won 2.5 million.

At first, the family was set on pushing for state legislation to protect consumers, but after the FRF and the MIA convinced them otherwise, they held off action. The mother was quoted as saying this was a preventable death, one that wouldn’t have happend had things been done properly. The father was quoted as saying that they would hold off legislative action to see if voluntary action would prevent further tragedies.

This is an excellent example of corporate damage control, although callous they did an excellent job on placecation of the surviving family members while avoiding state legislation of stone showrooms. I wonder what the family would think after reading the MIA newsletter with its regulation of the issue to page ten, combining the education effort with another stone issue, and most importantly the MIA sucess in suppressing this info for five and a half years.

Personanally, while I have read threads from consumers about taking the kids along to the slab yard, with mention of geology lessons learned while shopping, I have never read anywhere that children weren’t alowed in slab yards, nor has this lead to the outlawing of wood A frames, over crowding of same, nor is warning of consumers of the dangers of a slab yard common.

Read the MIA newsletter and judge for yourself.

With the current death rate so much higher for children riding in automobiles to the slab yard I think maybe we should ban children in automobiles and solve this problem once and for all.

Josh Matz

That issue is dealt with by car seats and parents know the risks up front. Plus the parents have control over the amount of risk, regardless of the woman putting up her makeup on while talking on a cell phone and driving to work.

No one told this family that this particular stoner was so shoddy as to use wooden A frames. No one is telling them now because the stone industry has hushed up the info very well.

Wow KD noel…you are sure insensitive dude…whats going on? You just read that it wasn’t the parents fault, it was the fault of some Stone company…not like yours of course…Killed a little kid…its not bad parenting skills….would it hurt to say …well, maybe i was wrong in assuming the kids parents werent holding his hand…no you just post a headline for other feeder to bite onto as to Kids running around the yard..that wasn’t the case…is it that difficult to say you were wrong, alot of people are wrong that is why they put erasers on pencils…..You are just so defensive on stone its hard to believe, now instead of resolving one issue you send out another pop up about seat belts…your kidding me right? you cant be that insensitive…are your arms crossed right now looking at this post? You should never get that angry, Things I learned from someone with no humilty or integrity never say these three things…I was wrong..I don’t Know……and last but not least….I need help…….cool out man, we got life to go on this site you’ll never make it with a heart of STONE…

Chris Yaughn

sanitychaser wrote

But it is hard to imaging how the parents are not at fault. Are they dead? Did the slab fall a few inches left or right of them? If not they were clearly not in control of thier child.

I stand by that. The kid was apparently (I haven’t seen the actual data) under control. I fear the reciprocity were it me. I am called to forgive, but fear I would not,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.