Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    KCWOOD

Posted By Kowboy on 13 Apr 2011 05:12 PM

While I’m not positive, it looks to me like the pieces at the seam touch in the back and widen toward the front edge. If so, this is because the installer is trying to keep the top meeting the walls at each end without too much caulk or avoiding drywall removal to make it fit or to keep consistent overhang or all three. Let’s not blame the installer yet, he may be making the best of a bad template or fabrication situation.

The color match isn’t that bad if the pieces were pulled together tightly. It looks pretty nasty.

Joe

“Lets not blame the installer” …. ARE YA FRICKING KIDDIN ME???  IF it don’t fit, don’t install it … it aint rocket science….

Brian Stone

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 13 Apr 2011 06:08 PM

While I’m not positive, it looks to me like the pieces at the seam touch in the back and widen toward the front edge. If so, this is because the installer is trying to keep the top meeting the walls at each end without too much caulk or avoiding drywall removal to make it fit or to keep consistent overhang or all three. Let’s not blame the installer yet, he may be making the best of a bad template or fabrication situation.

The color match isn’t that bad if the pieces were pulled together tightly. It looks pretty nasty.

Joe

“Lets not blame the installer” …. ARE YA FRICKING KIDDIN ME???  IF it don’t fit, don’t install it … it aint rocket science….

I’m siding with Kelsey on this one. Just because he did the best he could, it doesn’t mean that it’s good enough.

I’d much rather have overhang that’s 1/8″-1/4″ off than have that nasty seam in what is probably the most high-traffic area of the kitchen.

KCWOOD

Posted By Brian Stone on 14 Apr 2011 07:48 AM

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 13 Apr 2011 06:08 PM

Joe

I’m siding with Kelsey on this one. Just because he did the best he could, it doesn’t mean that it’s good enough.

I’d much rather have overhang that’s 1/8″-1/4″ off than have that nasty seam in what is probably the most high-traffic area of the kitchen.

Brian, now that I think about it, we are both wrong. The installers job was to put the top down and get paid. Why should he care if it the guys made it right? His job is to make money… wasn’t his fault.  Reminds me of the time I had a large mirror put above my vanity… when I got home it had a big scratch on it.  When I asked the installer why he hung it, he replied… I get paid to hang it, not inspect it…

Kelsey:

It’s obvious you aren’t familiar with a lot of the “plop-n-drop” that passes as countertop intallation these days. I’ll bet the guy who installed this would probably have his ass handed to him by an owner/boss if he told them he couldn’t install it because it didn’t fit. I’m sure they could find a guy who could and get the other three installations he is expected to do that day completed.

Of course when you quoted me, you left out my important qualifier, “yet”. That’s not surprising.

Joe

KCWOOD

Posted By Kowboy on 14 Apr 2011 07:05 PM
    Kelsey:

Of course when you quoted me, you left out my important qualifier, “yet”. That’s not surprising.

Joe

YET?  Whether yet is in the quote or not, doesn’t matter to those of us that believes it “either is, or isn’t”.. you know as in Black and White, true or false.
    Yet only applies to those that are in the middle, who go either way to argue a point they don’t even know they have. 

I really don’t know why I take the time to respond to your postings. I guess I’m not done having fun with you…..                                                      yet.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

That is a poorly done seam. The fault lies with the company that installed it and more importantly the customer that accepted and paid.

When customers stop paying for crap, we can all start making money for quality fabrication and installation.

KCWOOD

Posted By Andy Graves on 14 Apr 2011 07:46 PM
    That is a poorly done seam. The fault lies with the company that installed it and more importantly the customer that accepted and paid.

When customers stop paying for crap, we can all start making money for quality fabrication and installation.

Andy, what do you do in the case of jobs installed well and the customers complain because they know they can get a refund from the box stores…

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I am talking in general terms. Professional customers are always out there and they should be told no. Many professional customers fail to read their contracts and think if they complain enough, someone will bail them out.

Chris Yaughn

In my experience Quartz seams should be pretty good.  That isn’t pretty good.

Photobucket

KCWOOD

Chris, not sure how you got to take a picture of one of the seams my supplier does, Unique Granite, I’m surprised you could find it!!

Kelsey,

Chris didn’t actually take a picture of the seam. That’s the middle of the slab. He’s just making you look for the seam. LOL

Nice seam Chris. That’s the way most of our quartz seams turn out also.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Yea, that is more like what I was expecting. It can be felt and seen, but not as you enter the kitchen.

Matt Rickard

Kelsey:

It’s obvious you aren’t familiar with a lot of the “plop-n-drop” that passes as countertop intallation these days. I’ll bet the guy who installed this would probably have his ass handed to him by an owner/boss if he told them he couldn’t install it because it didn’t fit. I’m sure they could find a guy who could and get the other three installations he is expected to do that day completed.

Joe

Joe, this statement really hit home with me, and I just wanna say Thank You. You are probably asking yourself what the hell is goin on(trust me I am asking myself the same thing for agreeing with you of all people) But thankfully Kelsey doesn’t have to or will never have to deal with the “plop-n drop” because I am doing his work. My guys are pushed hard everyday to get atleast 3 kitchens installed but they have to be quality kitchens as-well. Kelly knows that if something goes crazy on his jobs I have without a doubt got his back to satisfy his customers and he wont be stuck with a seam that looks like what Andy posted.

Kelly thanks for the comments on the seams!!!
    KCWOOD

Posted By Matt Rickard on 15 Apr 2011 09:09 PM

Kelsey:

Joe

Joe, this statement really hit home with me, and I just wanna say Thank You. You are probably asking yourself what the hell is goin on(trust me I am asking myself the same thing for agreeing with you of all people) But thankfully Kelsey doesn’t have to or will never have to deal with the “plop-n drop” because I am doing his work. My guys are pushed hard everyday to get atleast 3 kitchens installed but they have to be quality kitchens as-well. Kelly knows that if something goes crazy on his jobs I have without a doubt got his back to satisfy his customers and he wont be stuck with a seam that looks like what Andy posted.

Kelly thanks for the comments on the seams!!!

Kowboy, what Matt is really saying…  that kind of crap work you are defending will not work in our area. 
    I really think his installers don’t like me… they give 99.9% perfection on every job… I call Matt if it’s not 100%  LOL!!

Kelsey:

You don’t get to put words in my mouth which is what you’re doing when you say I’m defending crap work. I’m doing no such thing.

When a team loses an ice hockey game it is always the goalies fault? After all, he’s the last line of defense, right? Or should some of the other players share in the blame? How about the guys who allowed the shot to be set up? Where were they?

That’s my point here. Everyone sees a crap seam and instinctively blames the installer. Well, I’ve got some news. While he is the last line of defense, he’s got a lot of other players on his team. Before we put all the blame on the installer/goalie, we need to examine the whole team.

Of course this would be difficult and time consuming which is why management and board posters don’t ususally engage in it.

Joe

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.