Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Check out the picture below.  Would you accept that seam in a quartz countertop? Seam is about  1/8″ wide.

Brian Stone

Nope. You’d think that they would at least try to get the adhesive match a little better. I’d pop it apart, clean it up, and reset with Gorilla Grips.

Len Smith

Why do installers leave when a job looks like this, rather than fixing the problem? Either they can’t see the problem, or they don’t care. Either way it’s bad, and would make me question their fitness for the task.

Karl Crooks

Posted By Brian Stone on 11 Apr 2011 07:43 AM

Nope. You’d think that they would at least try to get the adhesive match a little better. I’d pop it apart, clean it up, and reset with Gorilla Grips.

That’s not so ez to do when the counters are all glued down to solid underlayment, what do you do in cases like that ?

Brian Stone

Well, if one of your employees installed it then you do whatever it takes. If a different company installed it get a waiver signed that you’re not responsible for collateral damage and charge by the hour.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Would you pay for that or demand that it be fixed?

KCWOOD

Posted By Andy Graves on 11 Apr 2011 12:07 AM
    Check out the picture below.  Would you accept that seam in a quartz countertop? Seam is about  1/8″ wide.

If that is in a customers house that shopped for price only… then I think that look DAMN GREAT!!!    I have people looking for price only… and this is what they get. I lost a huge silestone job, but got the vanities. The seams on the silestone was worse than that LOL… and the customer was told that is what they look like.

Some people do work like that and think it is great work.

What involvement do you have in thei job Andy…

Brian Stone

Posted By Andy Graves on 11 Apr 2011 10:15 AM

Would you pay for that or demand that it be fixed?

It would depend on who I purchased the top from and what the expectations were before the tops were installed.

It amazes me how little research some people do on products before they throw large amounts of money down on them. If I’m spending that much money on something I’m going to know where it’s coming from, who’s fabricating it, and what I should expect the finished product to look like.

If the company that installed that happens to have a showroom and that’s what all of their seams look like then I’d demand that the top be done right. If I’m a customer and I’m just going with the cheap price and I did no research on what kind of quality to expect then I would assume that I would need to just learn my lesson and pay for quality the next time around.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

This customer was told the seams would be close to invisible. That is a bit much to expect, but this seam is horrible.

KCWOOD

Posted By Andy Graves on 11 Apr 2011 02:07 PM
    This customer was told the seams would be close to invisible. That is a bit much to expect, but this seam is horrible.

LOL… it is close… define close… 
    So the customer who didn’t buy from you, now turns to you because his job has gone bad… too funny!!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 11 Apr 2011 08:53 PM

LOL… it is close… define close… 
    So the customer who didn’t buy from you, now turns to you because his job has gone bad… too funny!!

This is a consumer that asked a question on http://www.CountertopReview.com under the ask a professional.

Get couple questions a week on average. Just wanted to know what all you thought.

It would be closer to invisible if the homeowner would have put the cutting board and the paper towel holder in the correct position…over the seam.  See, it’s the homeowners fault, not the installers.

Accept or not….if they were told “close to invisible”, then no acceptance.  If they bought from a box store or price only, then it’s theirs.

Norm Walters

Doctoring the adhesive with several of the colors in the top would have helped dramatically.  But then again that would have taken another 15 minutes

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Good idea Norm. I would thing that would disguise the seam a lot.

While I’m not positive, it looks to me like the pieces at the seam touch in the back and widen toward the front edge. If so, this is because the installer is trying to keep the top meeting the walls at each end without too much caulk or avoiding drywall removal to make it fit or to keep consistent overhang or all three. Let’s not blame the installer yet, he may be making the best of a bad template or fabrication situation.

The color match isn’t that bad if the pieces were pulled together tightly. It looks pretty nasty.

Joe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.