Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author

All,

I am finially getting time to write a page on Quartz, it’s weaknesses , strengths, and why solid surface is a better material.

Here is the outline.

Overselling of performance

Stains

Scratching

Cleaning damage

Heat damage

Inherent issues with the material

Appearance

UV damage

Quality

Stress

Fabrication issues

Silica dust

Repair issues

fab rules still evolving

Warranty issues

Comments from consumers

Conclusions

Anyone have any other issues that need to be addressed? I will post the page when done, hopefully by the end of the week.

Thanks,

AL

Easy one…

Solid Surface is lighter to carry in and install!

Gordon Doull

Two……..

Though it can be damaged by heat or trauma, it cannot be invisibly repaired like SS can.

Tom M

Al,

If this is to be a piece that concentrates on the downsides, it looks like a good outline. Do you think the same headings would work with stone, ss, steel, etc?

rob dillard

That is the idea, though granite will need a few more sections, and some taken off for other products.

Planning on building this page by page, one subject at a time. Try to get all the issues togther in one place, then boil it down into what can go wrong with a product and what can go right. Support it with links and customer quotes from consumer sites.

The up side doesn’t need a lot of comment, just listing the strong points, but what can go wrong really defines a material.

Tom, other than being harder to scratch than solid surface and stronger than granite, without the need to rod (no rusting rod damage possible), non porous to water ( or almost), no need to seal, and of course the warranty, be that as it may be, what else would you list as quartz’s strengths?

Chris Yaughn

It’s shiny. The camera loves shiny.

Tom M

I always sell it as a hybrid of sorts, with some good properties of both, but the limitations of both as well.

I do like the idea of the random pattern more often than not providing a very good direction change. I know, I know, there are tons (heh) of stone types that do as well, but you have to make that argument selectively. The overwhelming majority of Estone choices allow for this.

Temperature resistance is better than solid surface.

It is not quite as “cold” as quarried stone.

It has a better organized network behind it to at least give lip service to warranty and quality controls than most quarried stone.

You could make the argument that it is more environmentally sound, but I’m not sure there is a huge advantage over the other two.

It provides much of the hygiene of solid surface, though is severely limited in variety and flexibility.

I’ll come up with some more.

On my site, Al, I have a quick upside downside list, which is by no means total, but might give you an idea or two, either content or approach. I’ll find the links, if you wish.

Hey Tom,

A link to your list would be appreceiated.

thanks,

Al

Tom M

Al,

You ask, I send.

To be clear, I couldn’t put in a complete list, as it would push people away (TMI).

Laminate

Solid Surface

Estone

Granite

It is a little out of date, and I might at least grow the size of the list by half.

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of each page.

Tom

Karl Crooks

Gordon wrote

Two……..

Though it can be damaged by heat or trauma, it cannot be invisibly repaired like SS can.

Well that might not be 100% right ……………. Before

Karl Crooks

AFTER

Tom M

I’ve seen some impressive repairs in Quartz, but it still doesn’t rate the same as solid surface.

Karl,

that was excellent work. However, in the last pic am I imagining that sheen difference from a distance? The close ups look perfect.

Not knocking, that is some darned fine work. And I have seen solid surface fixed that looked pretty bad from across the room.

Karl Crooks

Al photos are never as good as the real thing if you ask me…. I will say that she was very happy to pay

Chris Yaughn

Karl,

What caused the marks?

Chris

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.