Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

“It’s like Andy has rented a stadium, advertised the game and charged admission. However, the guys who the fans came to see play, Dani, Lenny, Gene, etc., are playing for the love of the game only, they are paid nothing except fans get to see the player’s names on the backs of their jerseys.”

Worked for Kevin Costner.

Bill Wolle

Tom, a long time ago in another galaxy, I was your gym teacher… jus sayin.

I get the point, but the admission is not to see the game, it is to get upclose and personal time with the players in addition to the game. The majority of the stadium is free. Also, the guy’s playin for the love of the game also get their info on the stadium, uniforms, advertising, program, etc and they were never told they were getting paid.

Bill Wolle

Andy, if I submit a trick of the trade, would that go to the “pay for view” section that I currently do not subscribe to? If that is the case, and you are directly profiting from my unreimbursed submission, I get the point. If you pay for or are directly responsible for the costs and development of what is in the “pay per view” section”, then I see no problem. In either case, it is your website to do with as you please, it is a tremendous benefit to fabricators, and I know a lot of work and cost on your part.

This should be a seperate topic and or these posts moved out of the public view.

Dani Homrich

Bill
    You hit the nail on the head. I while back I remembered seeing a thread on a no drip edge and there were several posts by different people or I thought. I didn’t post anything because I couldn’t find the photos I took 20 years ago of a hotel job I did with 300 vanities and a no drip edge. When I saw the topic again I thought I would post how I did them because I came up with a real neat and fast way to do them. To tell you the truth I was in shock when the link took me to a Pay to View link instead of the actual thread. That is why I said what I did and though it was very strange the thread got moved because I was sure someone besides Andy had posted information. I don’t know if they had or Andy took their info off because, Like you I can’t view ether.

To all
    On a regular basis, because I am not an advertiser on this site, what someone else may say about the products I sell or what I post on this BB no matter how beneficial the information may be, it gets picks apart with a fine tooth comb. I only sell 7 different types of products unlike the 100’s or 1000’s other suppliers sell. I do not make a living by selling products; I make a living by fabricating just like most of you. I have told Andy may times that I would love to advertise here but the money just isn’t there. I would have to sell hundreds of dollars of product per month just to break even and my total sales to fabricators that visit this BB for the past 12 months was only a little over $500.00 Even a 5th grader will tell you that those numbers don’t add up. The fact is that I am so depended on fabricating to make a living that this dead Michigan economy has taken me to a turn for the worse. Here it is the middle of May and I am still waiting for my first job this year. I use to do 3 or 4 a month, not anymore. Fact is if I was to get a huge job today with full payment up front it wouldn’t stop the bank from taking my house.

Norm
    I hope there isn’t any spam in this post

To all
    that enjoy or find what I have to say here as important, I will still continue to be helpful when questions come up that I can answer or suggest a different approach to solving.  

Dani

Norm Walters

Dani, sorry about the economy in Michigan, I’m pretty sure I would have moved from there along time ago, the economy there has sucked there for years. As my friend Bill says, if you keep doing the same thing and expect different results, well then………

From what I understand Andy offered you advertising space in exchange for writing articles for the Fabnet, I would have jumped on that.

Dani Homrich

Yes Norm, Andy has offered advertising for articles and also receiving products I sell for advertising. IF it was that simple I would have jumped at it also, but it was never that simple.

I will make this suggestion Drop It; nothing more needs to be said about what or not what has been offered in the past because Andy and I were unable to reach an agreement.

Can anyone say Hijacked thread? Matt, we used to do a no drip edge by hand with a router, always had to fix some goof up from improper handling of the router. We just finished a VA Hospital job that all the vanities had no drip edges. I decided to try Andy’s method and can tell you that this is the only way we will do it in the future. 18 tops and no mistakes!

Jim Heaphy

Yes, this thread has strayed a bit and as an infrequest participant, I can’t quite relate to the anger here.

As for Dani’s plight, I have nothing but the deepest sympathy. I grew up in the Detroit area but came to California at age 20 “for a better life” and found it. Sure, California’s got its problems but all in all, things are pretty sweet here. I have cousins and old friends in Michigan, and the stories I hear are heart-wrenching.

I’ve been paid to write columns for Kitchen & Bath Design News for 20 years, but wrote a coupole of columns for them for free when they went through bankruptcy reorganization. That was my free choice, but as I result, they retained my column instead of dropping it. They are paying me again now.

Though my contributions are counted in dozens rather than thousands, I am happy to contribute to websites like this when I have time, and wish Andy nothing but great success in making it prosper. If there’s some useful information that I need to pay for, I will pay for it happily. There are ample opportunities to read irrelevant B.S. for free, but I don’t have time for that.

As for the football analogy, professional players get paid what they do because millions of tickets are sold and billions of pairs of eyes watch the TV ads during each season. Given those standards, a “celebrity” contributor to a website like this is worth a buck or two at best. I am sure if the money flows more freely to Andy as the economy recovers, he will be happy to pay a bit for quality content. Free ad offers sound good to me.

Tom M

Oh man, if quality is the criterion for reimbursement, I’m doomed to stay a pauper.

Bummer.

Hey Dani sorry to hear about things over there you can come to Australia if you want there is a bit of work over here. I will try to buy some stuff off your website to help out mate.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I am going to delete off topic post tomorrow. Read it while it lasts. This post is a valuable topic and we strayed way off target.

David Gerard

Dani,  I would love to know more about that top in your avatar pic.

Posted By Andy Graves on 19 May 2010 06:26 PM
    I am going to delete off topic post tomorrow. Read it while it lasts. This post is a valuable topic and we strayed way off target.

Andy:

A bit of thread drift is a good thing occasionally. I hope you reconsider.

Joe

Dani Homrich

Andy

This may be the first time, but I agree with Joe. This site has been dead like the Michigan economy for months. A little somewhat off topic discussion is good, people have come out of the woodwork. If I had not posted my one line comment this thread would have gotten 50 views tops, but look we are at 626 and counting. People are viewing to see what all is going on. Am I wrong?

David

Here is a better photo

This is my 30’s style Art-Deco vanity top. The top is Avonite Cathedral in a mirror finish. The inlay is 1″ X 1″ 1/2 round cylinders of Avonite Sky Glass, Antique Glass, and Cobalt Glass. The light source is a white neon tube. The Cobalt Glass is too dark to allow equal light so I used a 3/8″ core box bit to rout out the middle of the cylinder making the wall thinner to allow more even light on the entire inlay. The laminate is Arpa Storm the door and drawer face is Numetal Stainless steel 299WEL, the knobs are Richelieu Murano glass #1830 140/22, and the wall was sponge painted in 5 colors. I have always used neon for lighting because it only burns at 98 deg and will last for 30 yrs. No need of maintenance down the road like other light sources. The blue circle at the point is 1/8″ Cobalt glass glued the the face of the Avonite.
    I forgot to say that the Avonite cylinders were glued to a strip of 1/2″ clear Acrylic. Also the top has a cove backsplash.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Posted By Dani Homrich on 20 May 2010 11:41 AM

Andy

This may be the first time, but I agree with Joe. This site has been dead like the Michigan economy for months. A little somewhat off topic discussion is good, people have come out of the woodwork. If I had not posted my one line comment this thread would have gotten 50 views tops, but look we are at 626 and counting. People are viewing to see what all is going on. Am I wrong?

Dani,

You are histerical. First, you agree to do an article about silicone.  Said it couldn’t be done for a few weeks because you had to take care of some other stuff.  I replied by telling you it was absolutely no problem.  A year later, and I am still waiting.

Second, you insult me on the forum by insinuating that I should give you something for free.

Third, this site is not about quantity, it should be about quality.  Derailing a thread to bitch about access to the site when the topic is “No-Drip” edge is straying a bit far.  Notice, this topic is not in the Lounge area, it is in the solid surface area.

And last, you completely misrepresented our conversation about, “We could not come to terms for an agreement.” You write article, I post article and your ad.  Is that clear enough?

I am blown away that you have not written the article.  You claim to be
    sitting around doing nothing and then say you sold $500 to FabNet
    members.  Imagine if you had an ad actually promoting your products.

Next time someone types No-Drip in the search, they will have to wade through tons of off topic posts to get the information they need.

Joe,

After this thread dies down, I will delete the off topic information.  IF you are so inclined to start a different thread in the lounge area or general section, that is fine, but without the functionality to split the thread, it is not fair to the other user to make them read off topic info within a very valuable thread.

If I recall, I think I said a specific day that I would do this, but to be more specific, I will wait till the thread dies down.  Just assumed it would be sooner rather than later.

Respectfully,

Andy

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.