Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Matt Kraft

We’ve got 4 vanities to make with a no drip edge.  I’ve always hated it, because it never seems like it turns out nearly nice enough for the amount of work that goes into it.  Every time we do it, it like you end up sanding and blending so much that you carve away most of the radius you are trying to leave.

Two of these tops have finished returns at the open ends that get a 6″ x 6″ clip, so that it 3 no-drip sections with two vertical miters.

Anybody got a “best practices” method to make this job easier and possibly (probably) improve the quality of the finished parts for our customer?

Also, these are commercial mulit-lav style units with a 4 1/2″ total drop edge if that makes a difference with your favorite method.

Thanks.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster
    Tom M

Matt, are you using the no drip bits Amana and Velepec sell?
    Do the six by six clips then turn into regular finished ends, or do they terminate at the clip?

You already know to put a glue block behind the apron.

Dani Homrich

Gee, I clicked on Andy’s link and he wants $16.95 from me! I guess nothing is free anymore.

Tom M

Matt, we try to glue the edge as a face piece (glued to the face with a rise above the deck and a drop face feature below).

Just to give you a different perspective than Andy’s article.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Sorry about that Dani. Matt is a Premium Member so he will be able to read the information without a problem.

You are right about nothing is free anymore except 90% of the FabNet. http://www.CountertopReview.com is also free.

This site takes money to operate and thanks to the Premium Members and our gracious sponsors/advertisers, we are able to have a forum that is open to all. Not to mention the most of this website is free. This is not a government run website.

Just curious Dani, do you sell your products at your cost with free shipping or do you mark it up so you can stay in business?

Posted By Andy Graves on 13 May 2010 02:26 PM
    Sorry about that Dani. Matt is a Premium Member so he will be able to read the information without a problem.

You are right about nothing is free anymore except 90% of the FabNet. http://www.CountertopReview.com is also free.

This site takes money to operate and thanks to the Premium Members and our gracious sponsors/advertisers, we are able to have a forum that is open to all. Not to mention the most of this website is free. This is not a government run website.

Just curious Dani, do you sell your products at your cost with free shipping or do you mark it up so you can stay in business?

Andy:

While I appreciate the costs of running a website, I also know that the value of any website is content. If there is nothing there, there is no value to readers. No value to readers, no advertisers.

Dani Homrich has contributed tremendously and selflessly, as have others, to the Fabnet without financial compensation.

When money is involved and the payment to content providers is a byline only, you’re singing to the choir, my friend.

Joe

Norm Walters

Joe, If I am not mistaken each and every tidbit of advice from Dani is followed by a bit of spam, just saying…………

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Posted By Kowboy on 14 May 2010 08:10 PM

Andy:

While I appreciate the costs of running a website, I also know that the value of any website is content. If there is nothing there, there is no value to readers. No value to readers, no advertisers.

Dani Homrich has contributed tremendously and selflessly, as have others, to the Fabnet without financial compensation.

When money is involved and the payment to content providers is a byline only, you’re singing to the choir, my friend.

Joe

Joe,

You and I both know we have talked in private about this situation.  Let’s not pretend Dani has not been fairly treated.

In fact in May of 2007, I reviewed a sanding pad that Dani designed and sells on his website.  Not only did I purchase these pads with money raised through sponsorship and advertising dollars, I reviewed without any compensation.

1,911 people read the review and gave it a 5 star rating.  Notice the direct link to Dani’s website and his phone number.

What the hell do you want me to do?  Have I not done enough for Dani or do I owe him something more? You know we talked about this on the phone so let’s not kid ourselves.

Before you criticize me and the FabNet, you may want to ask my wife and family if I owe Dani something more.  I think they would all agree that my dedication to providing a quality resource can sometimes lead to less time with my family.

I am comfortable knowing that I have tried many time to assist Dani.

KCWOOD

Posted By Norm Walters on 14 May 2010 08:16 PM
    Joe, If I am not mistaken each and every tidbit of advice from Dani is followed by a bit of spam, just saying…………

Norm, If I’m not mistaken each and every tidbit of advice from some is followed by critical Bull*hit, just saying…………

I appreciate you Andy!

Posted By Andy Graves on 15 May 2010 12:14 AM

Posted By Kowboy on 14 May 2010 08:10 PM
    Andy:

Joe

Joe,

You and I both know we have talked in private about this situation.  Let’s not pretend Dani has not been fairly treated.

In fact in May of 2007, I reviewed a sanding pad that Dani designed and sells on his website.  Not only did I purchase these pads with money raised through sponsorship and advertising dollars, I reviewed without any compensation.

1,911 people read the review and gave it a 5 star rating.  Notice the direct link to Dani’s website and his phone number.

What the hell do you want me to do?  Have I not done enough for Dani or do I owe him something more? You know we talked about this on the phone so let’s not kid ourselves.

Before you criticize me and the FabNet, you may want to ask my wife and family if I owe Dani something more.  I think they would all agree that my dedication to providing a quality resource can sometimes lead to less time with my family.

I am comfortable knowing that I have tried many time to assist Dani.

Andy:

You’ve completely missed my point.

I am not going to debate the specifics of your relationships with anyone else here. I never said Dani was unfairly treated, nor did I say you have not done enough. Please don’t put words in my mouth.

I appreciate your efforts and am proud of the contributions I’ve made.

Joe

Bill Wolle

I really do not want to get involved in a debate with you Joe, but I have kind of had enough.

Joe, just what was your point that I missed also and what did you mean when you said that a web site is only as good as the content and that Dani had provided content and had not been compensated? Were you just trying to incite? Again? This thread is about no drip edge, not the fact that there are portions of the site that you need to pay for. I took your post just as I think Andy, KC and many others did, as a not so subtle attack. In my opinion your next college classes should cover tact, diplomacy subtlness and knowing when to keep your opinions to yourself.

Tom M

Bill,
    I’m not sure, and can’t be positive, but I think I had a Gym Teacher that looked a lot like your M&M avatar.

Just sayin’.

Posted By William Wolle on 15 May 2010 10:06 AM

I really do not want to get involved in a debate with you Joe, but I have kind of had enough.

Joe, just what was your point that I missed also and what did you mean when you said that a web site is only as good as the content and that Dani had provided content and had not been compensated? Were you just trying to incite? Again? This thread is about no drip edge, not the fact that there are portions of the site that you need to pay for. I took your post just as I think Andy, KC and many others did, as a not so subtle attack. In my opinion your next college classes should cover tact, diplomacy subtlness and knowing when to keep your opinions to yourself.

Bill:

You asked for an explanation for the point you missed. Here goes:

Andy starts a website. If no one participates in relevant discussions or documents successful jobs (or better yet, unsuccessful jobs) or offers technical solutions and constructive criticism, there is no reason to visit the site.

If no one has a reason to visit the site, they won’t. If there are no viewers, there is no reason for an advertiser to buy an ad. If no advertisers buy ads, Andy has a nice chatboard, but he hasn’t built anything for which he can document an income stream, and the Fabnet has no value to a future purchaser, should Andy decide to sell what he has built someday.

It’s like Andy has rented a stadium, advertised the game and charged admission. However, the guys who the fans came to see play, Dani, Lenny, Gene, etc., are playing for the love of the game only, they are paid nothing except fans get to see the player’s names on the backs of their jerseys.

The players are grateful to Andy for the venue and don’t begrudge him the few dollars he makes for his risk. However, any whining about money and time away from family gets a little thin with the guys who create value by playing the game and whose only compensation are the cheers or boos of the crowd.

Joe

Bill Wolle

Joe, I’ll try one time and then I am done.

Your original comment implies that Dani is owed something and that charging him for access was wrong. You did not state this but surly implied it. It is how Andy, KC (I think) and I took your comment. I certainly understand the point you have stated this morning but do not see at all what it has to do with what I see as backpedaling in your response to Andy.

Again, this has NOTHING to do with the original post. It is just you wanting to incite, and Sat AM I had had enough. I will post no further as it is falling on selective hearing ears, as usual.

To the rest, sorry for my rant.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.