Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Storms

Received the fax as well…

At least their being proactive with the problem of declining Solid surface sales. However…

I’ve had more customers than I can count that have solved question #3 on the fax under Seminar Highlights.

ISSFAs question is: How to get past “I want stone.”

The problem was solved buy MANY fabricators buy: Fabricating stone! One must adapt to these changes or implode.

No way, Dave ya hafta ask da customer why they want Stone? that’s a funny answer…they usually want iy cause everyone else does and they haven’t googled stone complaints or care and maintence of stone,yet i know ,I know alot of Solid Surfacers have turned to stone to pay the rent, but if they want to keep selling residential to those type of customers of course they have to sell their Solid Surface tools, but the healthcare industry doesn’t say that statement, the Food serving industry doesn’t say that. the Solid surfacers just needed to switch their market of customers not their sanders and saws, I always tell the customers that say that ,that they’ll never get the chance to work on Stone, Stone is just a substrate for clear plastic warrantied sealer, they could put that sealer over their favorite wood because that’s what their working on …SEALER not Stone, ya hafta look thru the glass to see da pretty stone, but hey thumbs up to the masons out there…LOL

Norm Walters

Gene, either your “literary accent” is getting worse, or I am just tired, but I have no idea WTF you just typed

Sorry Norm, There was typos as well . “Hafta” is have to, i just like to shorten them up, the is da. but i was just responding to our buddy Dave who was responding to the question about the Issfa class below my post, about why customers say ” I want Stone”…. Dave was insinuating SS fabbers should start playing with Stone or “IMPLODE”, I am trying to defend myself , The only Stone tool i got is a tube of silicone, he would have all my money if i switch…I hope Festool don’t start making stone tools, again i slow down on the Andy Capp language…LOL

Oh yeah Norm, im up already doing paperwork, i got to thinking you might of not understood my Sarcasim towards stone and did understand my Andy cap language . Anyway,I have these stone buddys who know i work with every type of material except stone, to me stone umbrellas under block layers and masons, but anyway these buddies of mine say the Solid surface is plastic crap,blah,blah Stone is Rock solid, yada, yada. I simply ask them what they seal their granite with???? They seal it because first of all the term “seal” means something is open, you have to seal it. so we have friendly arguements (like we do with others on this site) and i always say well then the customer is actually getting a plastic coated top with granite as the underlayment then right????They get red faced, it’s funny. I say you Granite guys are kinda like refacing the granite with a 1/16 inch peice of clear plastic…thats what the customer is preparing food on, not STONE…i could be wrong but stone guys i know don’t even know anything about the minerals or properties in the product there promoting, they’re just selling it because people demand it, much like asbestos shingles was selling in the 80’s,and look at that stuff now, it’s a biohazard product. Imagine what ten years of unsealed granite would do to a bacteria meter. I also goof with them by saying can’t ya just put down some mdf, then faux finish it with paint to look like granite and then SEAL it with that stuff you use for real granite? at least you woun’t have them ugly seams or unmatching patterns??Norm, i respect you that’s why I’m fully trying to clarify myself with you by typing all this stuff with one finger…i was just having fun by stirring the pot,,maybe i shouldn’t do that with Dave, cause he probaly has enough experience with this subject to embarrass me, but i’ll take da chance…it’s healthy sarcasim. talk 2 ya later

Norm Walters

Gene, mostly I was just pulling your chain, it was Friday night after all.

Here is something I was thinking about while driving past a granite shop. They have all these slabs standing up outside, in Florida, where the humidity is normally 90%, and it rains almost every day. Am I missing something or are all these slabs growing mold on them????????

And even if the mold is removed from the surface during the fabrication process, wouldn’t it still be in the interior of the stone because of the porosity??

I never thought of that..lets get channel 10 news to do an investigation, we’ll send them the literature Al prepared on the downsides of granite. Norm I don’t know if you have been seeing this but here in St. Pete / Pinellas Park I have been seeing these tacky signs the granite guys are putting out they look desperate, i love it because it cheapens the product. the signs look like fruit stand signs. Granite 18.oo sq ft another one says give you a free sink, the one on 49th st is the worse they used flourescent orange paint saying granite blowout sale, cheapest in town, they actually painted it on the granite slabs and a framed out on 49th st by my shop, They all look desperate, the hi-end clientelle are gonna be embarrassed having the same stuff billy bob can put in his trailer park. I might put a sign out saying free granite removal with the purchase of a solid surface top, and have a picture of a man in a space siut removing the toxic waste granite….I’m glad you was pulling my chain I felt embarrassed for my uneducated post…

Gordon

I know the sign on 49th St. you’re talking about Gene. It started at $24.95 per sq. ft., went to $19.95 and I guess, down again. The owner is Chinese. He travels back home quarterly and brings in containers of pre-fabbed 2cm in four color choices.

He also brings in pre-hung solid wood doors, 6 panel with an etched glass piece in the center. Costs him around $25.00 per door. Sells them wholesale for $200.00 !

You have to admit that capitolism is a great thing. Keep flooding the market with that cheap Granite, I enjoy the calls I get to replace it.

jarek_tr

Drove by there this morning. Sure enough, they spray painted the “Granite Blowout Sale” in neon orange on what looks like Baltic Brown stone.

Jim Meunier

Okay all,

Let’s go ahead and vote on which log to use. Need to get something to Fred so we can set this up and start a membership drive.

Vote by the number next to the picture of the one you like.

How about we close the vote on Saturday night, midnight or so?

Thanks,

Al

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.