Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Mory Ludwick

I am going to try not to come off to stern here. First of all, I don’t think I will live long enough to see solid surface outsell laminate. Major laminate manufacturers that sell other products, theie laminate business is 80% of total sales. That’s global. We have only been at the countertop business for 5 years and have made some very good friends. Not just with fabricators, but with manufacturers. For instance, Formica has partnered with us from the beginning. I’m not talking regional people. We had a plan, we had a dream and I needed programs and all the other. So yes, Pat Weaver, Nick Marvich, and Mike Fisher all from Formica came to our aid. We actuallt flew to the corporate office and sat with them and others on the corporate level for two days. They liked our plan, they liked what we were doing, and they have helped us all the way.

We also recently partnered with Avonite and Wilsonart. Again, we put a plan on the table and John Nyugen from Avonite listened and we moved forward. Jerry Samu from Wilsonart has listened to our plans and they have also stepped up to help. So no one can make me believe that the manufacturers are not listening. Put a plan together that makes sense and then call them. They will listen. When Formica took the time to listen to us, we were only building one counter per week. Now that everybody has listened, we did what we said we would do, they did what they said they would do and we now build about 25 solid surface kitchens a week–and growing. As far as advertising, we do alot of it. A great leal on our own. Do we get help from manufacturers-Yes. Then again, you have to show them what is in it for them. How many countertops do you have to sell for them to recover their money. Do the math, give them the paperwork. Not all the time will it be in cash. Alot of the time they will give you material to help pay for the ad. It works for me, but you have to ask and perform.

A few years back we did a lunch and learn. Here is the link http://www.surfacefabrication.com/articles/2005/marapr/030405_2.htm

Dani brings up a very good point about realtors. I usually don’t tell people what we are doing until after it is done. So after 30 years in business this will be a first. I have spoken with Kevin Cole and others in educating realtors. We are putting together another lunch and learn with the help of Formica, Avonite and Wilsonart. Our goal is to tap that market. These people have a captive audience, basically our audience. The trend today is kitchens. If you are selling a house, you can usually get a better asking price if you update the kitchen. What a better way than with new countertops. Now it is an easy sale for me to convince them to use solid surface. There is only one thing you can’t overcome. If they are empty nesters with substantial retirement plans, they want granite or quartz. Do not even try to talk them out of it you can’t do it. I can’t even do it. However, give me a family that wants granite or quartz and I can pretty much guarantee I can have solid surface every where (including the showers).

As this lunch and learn is put together, I will keep everyone informed. you are more than welcome to come. We have done these with builders also. Bring their sales orce in and even the owners. Set them up on a program, try to get them a solid surface sink at a good price so they don’t have to buy it from the plumber, and just keep working them. That’s what we do and it works. We also have countertops displays in furniture stores. One of the ones we do has a very large sales staff, they also reach into other markets. Yes, setting up something like theis took alot of time. Training their sales force was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Now that it is done they sell more countertops than you can imagine. The other thing nice about large retailers is that some will do financing for their customers. They get terms, you get paid quickly. I forgot to mention at our last lunch and learn with architects that we did not see any results for nearly a year. Now we see them about every week. It seem like every time I open up a print it says solid surface.

Another thing that is very helpful are kiosks. They are fairly inexpensive if you build them yourself. Dell sells inexpensive computers and as fabricators it doesn’t take much to build a nice looking kiosk. We are in the process of doing just that. The customer enters the information on a touch screen and the contact information comes directly to our shop.

I am starting to rant and rave here, but I find it very hard to believe that it is difficult to sell solid surface. You just need to get aggressive and creative. Don’t be embarassed to ask for help. I do all day long.

Mory

Phil Houser

Dani, I’m too cheap to subscribe to the consumer reports, plus after watching a short vidieo of how they test countertops I’m not so sure they are using a reasonable test for a countertop. Should I give these people the small amount of cash to view their report? Has anyone got a copy of the actual report that can be seen online, or do you have to pay the money to see it?

Problem one with the test is did they use different types of granite in the test, or just one?

Problem two, who in their right mind would saw on a countertop with a knife?

Problem three, who in their right mind would leave a pot of boiling oil on a countertop for an hour?

Problem four, is it possible that tile, granite or e-stone would survive the drop test?

Problem five, did they address repairablity of all these surfaces if damage did occur.

Keep in mind that I am going to learn to fabricate granite only to sell around it. I already have granite on my yellow page ads and can provide import prefab granite.

Mory Ludwick

One more thing. I’m not going to go back and rearead, but someone mentioned not being the least expensive. That is very true. We sell the product and we sell ourselves. That is all there is to it. If you want cheap, you get what you pay for. I have no problem outselling those guys. I do it every day.

Mory

Shane Barker

Nice post Mory,

If everyone had the enthusiasm and drive you have solid surface to still be at the top of the heap.

Shane

Jon Olson

I love Mory. Thanks for the tips buddy

Mory,

Thanks for the post goes to show my point a little better is they are willing to listen. I’m glad we have guy’s like you to help.

Jon Olson

Mory why don’t you set up a class at the show in Florida and teach you fellow fabs on how to sell?

I could be wrong, but I believe Dani’s point was that he can’t turn the jobs into solid surface if he can’t get the people in the shop. Training will help some, but we need to set up a campaign selling solid surface to designers and magazine writers.

Somebody jump in and start the ball rolling. I am going to concentrate on the uniform fabrication standards till it is a done deal and then if needed, I’ll help out with a marketing plan for the industry. We could get all parties pulling together to increase the market share of solid surface.

Dani Homrich

Al,

You are exactly right. Customers are so sold on granite by what they have read, seen, and been told by realtors, that there is no talking them out of granite, my point of this discussion.

Here is a direct link to the top ten counter top and point scores in August 2006 Consumer Reports magazine

Copy and paste

http://www.solidsurfacegeeks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472

Dani

Dani Homrich

Consumer Reports TEsTiNg

I would like to add this the good stain ratting for solid surface is a total farce. They said they cleaned them off, but with what, a hose and water, dry rag, I guess they lost their soap or cleanser. I have found no stain on a solid surface counter top that was not very easy to remove in my entire career. I my opinion it should be Excellent.

Dani

Dani Homrich

I wish I could edit my post, But I can’t so here is another point on their testing.

Now many solid surface tops go out of the shop with a square edge, none in my shop. I know if there was a 3/8” radius on the top the results would have been much different.

Dani

chip geffre

Okay, open letter to Consumer Reports will be started on the google documents site in a few hours. Everybody add to it, then we will send it and post it online everywhere we can. Attack their crediblity if they won’t change the darned thing. I’ll post a link today.

K.Chiao

Okay, here is the link to the open letter to Consumer Reports. Anyone should be able to view, all who want to add to the letter, please provide your email address so we can add you to the collaborator list. Once on the list, just add you comments. Once it is big enough, someone can proof read, spell check and we can send it to them, many, many, copies, both email and snail mail. Give them a chance to respond before publishing this online as many times and places as we can.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dftkrj3r_1dbnzbg

The more the merrier, I’d like to see hundreds of comments added.

Thanks, Al.

Tad Lane

Awesome letter Al! Lets see if these folks have the balls for retracting an obviously flawed analysis.

Mory Ludwick

Nice letter, Al. I feel it is a good start, but I agree we need to continue to fine tune it. We still need to proceed with caution and bring in the big guns with us. The letter needs firm backing by the major manufacturers. If not all, at least a few. They will find it harder to disagree with the solid surface manufacturers, than they will with us. Basically, they are going to at least listen to them. Consumer is not very good at retracting statements. I will be making phone calls to Formica, Avonite, Wilsonart, and Staron. They are the only manufacturers where I know someone quite well. As soon as I have some information, I will post it.

Mory

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.