Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

Don’t ever go away, Bill.
    You’re far too valuable, and if I may say, extrapolishous.

Tom M

OK, I made that word up.

But it’s still a cool non-word.

Tom..u mean Polish from Poland…not to mention “Extra” Polish…jeez
    I was hoping he would be extraIrishous

Jon Olson

This from Wikipedia:

“The word erudition came into Middle English from Latin. A scholar is erudite (Latin eruditus) when instruction and reading followed by digestion and contemplation have effaced all rudeness (“e- (ex-) + rudis”), that is to say smoothed away all raw, untrained incivility. Common usage has blurred the distinction from “learned”.

Erudition is the depth, polish and breadth that is applied to education from further readings and understanding of literary works. The Latin word educare means to “lead out” from ignorance; hence an educated person has come to think critically and logically. An erudite person has both deep and broad familiarity with a certain subject, often gained through study and extensive reading of the subject’s literature rather than formal scholarship.

For example, a jurist is learned, and knows the law intimately and thoroughly. A jurist who is also erudite may additionally know the history of the law in detail, as well as the laws of other cultures. Thus, an erudite jurist has both deep, specific knowledge of the law, and broad knowledge in the form of social and historical context of law.

Erudition is present in a literary work when its author incorporates general knowledge and insights spanning many different fields. When such universal scholars are also at the forefront of several fields, they are sometimes called “polyhistors“, or “polymaths” if they demonstrate great wisdom or intelligence in addition to great knowledge (see polymath for further discussion).

The famous Italian poet Giacomo Leopardi was erudite: he read and studied the classics on his own, and was deeply influenced by many philosophers. Other examples of erudite writers include the Roman Marcus Terentius Varro, the English essayist Sir Thomas Browne, and the French essayist Michel de Montaigne.”

Bill:

You’ve gotta use quotation marks or a bibliography or people may mistakenly attribute all that fancy thinkin’ and writin’ to you. I’m in college now and that’s one of the first things they taught us and they’re real sticklers about it.

Joe

Its kinda like Issfa change appears to be identical to Thread and topic changes…you never know what you are gonna read when you click onto a topic…I love it…my only little surprise…

so let that be a lesson to youse if ya see a topic that says something about auto mechanics you might learn about Solid Surface Inlay…so I encourage youse all to click on every thread

David Gerard

Ifin you  “Bon ve Vons” keep up this fine english stuff I’m a feared I’ll be voted offin the island sooner than later

Lenny E

Joe,

Youre back in college? Congratulations! Which one? Suddenly I have a great desire to further my education.  If I go back to school at your college, would you have any interest in starting a new frat?

I plan to disprove the common misconception some people espouse, that you cant work, attend school, maintain a B or Better average, and party like a maniac simultaneously.

Lenny

Posted By Lenny E on 10/16/2008 9:04 PM

Joe,

Youre back in college? Congratulations! Which one? Suddenly I have a great desire to further my education.  If I go back to school at your college, would you have any interest in starting a new frat?

I plan to disprove the common misconception some people espouse, that you cant work, attend school, maintain a B or Better average, and party like a maniac simultaneously.

Lenny

Lenny:

I attend Oakland Community College in Auburn Hills, Michigan. It’s only $60.00 per credit hour and the professors are amazing. My history teacher was three years old when I dropped out of college, my Art Appreciation instructor is very, very into art. My English teacher is excellent, but distractingly attractive. I’m serious, I can’t hardly look at her and concentrate simultaneously. I take that back, I can concentrate fine, just not on English.

So far, I’m getting straight “A’s” except for one “B+” in History.

I would love to be frat brothers with you. We’ll put ourselves on “double secret probation” (Animal House-movie) right away for trying to disprove your common misconception.

Joe

Jon Olson
    So having Russ as the new guy at ISSFA I would say is a really big change. I understand what Russ wants to do. But I’am having a hard time understanding why many feel we don’t need an association. When I ask I only get well they should have done this or that. Which I reply your correct. But the question is do you as a fabricator think you need an association?

Jon…My opinion is for me…and I dont necessarily need an association…i just want to be a part of an association…however there are those that will constantly ask “well, whats it do for me?’ if ya hafta ask that, then you probaly arent gonna get the thing that i Got from being a part of it….Its hard to put into words ..i also think if you can describe it into words its not what I got..

that weekend cost me alot…but i made that in one vanity profit…my new awarness and knowledge i got from the Thermoform Warriors was worth the cost times five…but thats for me…i love everything about this industry…the good and the bad…might not like it..but i love it

i just like talking and making friends….and fellow fabnetters…Jon let me wander all around the Sterling Shop with my camcorder and nobody even watching me…i was admiring the organization, the shipping and recieving…so when i grow into that size, i dont hafta waste money learning all that stuff…

If you want an association that all you expect is to take, take, take, and what do i get for 400 bux besides this sticker its kinda weird cause thats all you are probaly gonna get…but if give without the expectation of any kind  reward ….something happens beyond our realm that just spreads..

But again this is not to be mean and negative to non_members…if you want four hundred bux worth of stuff back…and thats it so you feel you at least got your investment back…well Im sure some ISSfA memeber can send you a half sheet when ya need it…

but heres the deal if you make more than your 400 bux…will you record that amount and maybe buy a plane ticket and hang out with us in a strange town at the next regional?…would you then give input on something else to benefit

but all in all, if a person cant find any reason to Join an association…then dont join…I would hate to be a part of an association that everyone hates toi be there anyway…thats like being in jailfor those of us that know what thats like

Len Smith

Gene,

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I just read your entire post and what I got from it is that you feel your investment in ISSFA was a good one  because you got a feeling of belonging.

If you are saying that there is no benefit that can be explained, I’m sorry but I can’t buy that.

I’m a little too pragmatic to buy into something (with money or effort) because someone tells me I will get something, but no one can explain what it is? 😉

Well Len..I dont mean it some hidden agenda you will get…its just that when I was at the table with all the people I just met, listening to the seminars…I guess its out right camaderie

but its like trying to describe what it feels like when your happy….explain the feeling…see what i mean…but again that is how i feel..i feel great..but remember I havent been around as lonfg as some of youse…maybe Im still in the honeymoon phase

but if people are asking you to join as if if its a product…of course you gonna ask…
    My post is not encourage you to join…i hope you dont think that…i shared what ISSFA has done for me…and like you said No matter what I say ISSFA has done for me ..you arent buying it…

heres another way to attempt to describe how i feel …
    why do people go to a show that cost more than the membership?
    why do they read magazines?

My answer is simply ‘I dont know” I just wanna go!

and Len, i dont take it the wrong way from you and i expect the same …if i ever sound negative or condisending, please let me know and i will simply apologize ..talk to ya later

Tom M

Gene got a free chicken strips and hot sauce, as well as a custom-made Wolfstone CD.

That’s gotta count for something.

Lenny E
    Posted By Jon Olson on 10/17/2008 1:34 PM

So having Russ as the new guy at ISSFA I would say is a really big change. I understand what Russ wants to do. But I’am having a hard time understanding why many feel we don’t need an association. When I ask I only get well they should have done this or that. Which I reply your correct. But the question is do you as a fabricator think you need an association?

Hi Mr Jon,

I think you have a good point. Every product needs an association in IMO, or if not an esteemed individual like you travelling in a bus around the country  elucidating the populace to the advantages of the product.

Im not a fabricator. Im an owner of 1 company that manufactures, and another that consults.

As stated before, as an old Las Vegas Boy, Im going to gamble a membership fee that ISSFA can do great things for the industry. I give it 1:1 odds, a 50% chance, they either will or will not …right?

Lenny

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.