Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Maurizio Bertoli recommended a book a while back. “Rocks and Minerals” by Simon and Schuster. A little learning curve. Its a petrology book, has pictures and descriptions of just about everything. I read it from time to time, still trying to figure out a lot of the terminology.

Tom M

Thank you for the reference.
    It seems to be a study that, the more you learn, the more you find you don’t know.

From a selfish standpoint, I find it makes me much more attractive to a customer (knowledge-wise, there is no hope for me otherwise) than the cheapie guy down the road. I originally though that I only needed just enough to get by, but there is some great info to be had out there in mineralville.

Tom,

I was lucky enough to be able to befriend a geologist, he gave me a great start in geology 101.
    I have since purchased about 20 different rocks/ minerals from a local store and display them in our show room. 
    Being able to identify the different minerals in the stone has become a huge selling point for us. 
    We also have offered some local schools to come up for a tour and geology lesson and we send the kids home with minerals from our scrap pile. 
    I have also used the following sites too.
    Good luck and enjoy!
    Tom M

That’s an excellent suggestion, Michelle. I need a bigger showroom.
    I keep hitting refresh on that webmineral.com page you posted. I should yell at myself for wasting shop time, but it’s too cool.

I now have three more bookmarked sites. Thank you!

When I was a 4-H er in my youth, I had rock collections entered in the fairs. I assume all the samples ended up in my head. At least that’s where everyone told me the rocks were.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.