Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Norm Walters

Posted By Jeff Handley on 15 Apr 2010 07:15 AM
    You’re Welcome, Tom.

We really rely on the quarries for composition information.
    Some of the Natural Stones World Wide listings do have the info you like to see. See below:
    Giallo Veneziano
    A medium- to coarse-grained, ochre-yellow to golden-brown, also light pink gneiss ( pegmatitic orthogneiss ) of the Precambrian period, with biotite and garnet, Italian “giallo” = yellow. This stone internationally may be nominated as a granite. For the US- and Chinese market this is correct according to ASTM C 119 resp. GB/T 17670. But in the area of application of the European Standard (EN) this stone must be nominated as gneiss because the EN 12440 demands a scientific terminology for the denomination of natural stones, determined with a petrografic examination according to EN 12407 and 4.2 of prEN 12670. In case of doubt please ask your supplier.

Mineral distribution on the average: microperthitic microcline: 45%, quartz: 30%, oligoclase: 16%, biotite: 5%, accessories: 4%.

Uses: Building stone, ornamental stone.

Location: Brazil (quarry RN 000232/Zona di Pipinuque/Corrego de Agua Preta/Nova Venecia/Espirito Santo)

Synonyms: Amarello Veneciano, Amarelo Venecia, Amarelo Veneciano, Amarelo Veneziano, Giallo Venecciano, Giallo Venecia, Giallo Veneciano, Giallo Venetano, Giallo Venetiano, Giallo Venezia, Giallo Veniziano, Gialo Veneziano, Golden Venecia, Juparana Venecia, Juparana Venezia, Juperana Venezia, Korall Gelb, Venecia Amarelo, Venetian Gold, Venezia Amarelo, Yellow Venezia

Bulk Density: 2,629 kg/m³
    Bending Strength: 17.79 MPa
    Compressive Strength: 117.10 MPa
    Water Absorption: 0.32%
    Abrasion Resistance: 0.95 mm

For extra credit you can check out the minerals at http://www.mindat.org
    http://www.mindat.org/min-975.html —Link goes to the mineral Chrysotile, AKA Canadian Asbestos.

Jeff

Jeff, water absorption at .32%, I’m sure that percentage is by weight? Also do you know how the water absorption test is done, time period, submersion, etc.???

Jeff Handley

Jeff, water absorption at .32%, I’m sure that percentage is by weight? Also do you know how the water absorption test is done, time period, submersion, etc.???

Norm,
    You are correct, it is by weight, and done through a submersion test.
    Most of that NSW information is done to EN standards and testing.
    While I do not know the full difference between EN and ASTM tests, We know that the C97 (Test Methods for Absorption and bulk specific gravity of Dimension Stone) includes:
    Drying the specimen in an oven for 48 hrs. at 140 degrees. The stone is weighed at hrs 46,47,& 48 to be sure it contains no moisture weight.
    Immersion of the specimen in filtered or distilled water for 48 hrs.
    Then it is surface dried with a damp cloth and weighed to the nearest .0005 oz.
    the dried weight and wet weight are then plugged into a formula giving you the absorption percentage.

Jeff

Norm Walters

I’m a little rusty on the math here. Assuming a sq. ft. of granite weighs 20 lbs. Would you then multiply 20 x .0032 to get .064  x 16 oz in a pound would be just over one ounce or 1.024 oz. I’m better at geometry

Jeff Handley

Norm,
    That sounds right. I am awful at math.

Jeff

Mark Meriaux
    Tom M

Thank you, Mark I bookmarked all of them and perused a couple, which led me to more.

I particularly liked the U Texas link, then followed it to the granite/ice cream link. That was great, and possibly something that we can use to help sell.

Tom M

Searching through these links led me to what I am sure was the link I originally had in mind when I started this. Here it is:

http://www.findstone.com/daniel1.htm

Keep em coming, though, there is a lot out there to sift through.

Lenny E

Posted By Jeff Handley on 20 Apr 2010 03:12 PM

Norm,
    You are correct, it is by weight, and done through a submersion test.
    Most of that NSW information is done to EN standards and testing.
    While I do not know the full difference between EN and ASTM tests, We know that the C97 (Test Methods for Absorption and bulk specific gravity of Dimension Stone) includes:
    Drying the specimen in an oven for 48 hrs. at 140 degrees. The stone is weighed at hrs 46,47,& 48 to be sure it contains no moisture weight.
    Immersion of the specimen in filtered or distilled water for 48 hrs.
    Then it is surface dried with a damp cloth and weighed to the nearest .0005 oz.
    the dried weight and wet weight are then plugged into a formula giving you the absorption percentage.

Jeff

Hi Norm,

There is a huge difference between ASTM and EU tests. In the US, its ASTM, C series for stone, concrete and D series for plastics like solid surface. The EU uses ISO tests ,and has MRA’s with the member nations (mutual recognition agreements) that recognize DIN tests in Germany etc.

You bring up a valid point, as a member of ASTM (I write these tests) and also a member of TC 61, the ASTM technical advisory committe to ISO, I am somewhat familiar with these tests.

Traditionally ISO means nothing in the US, we defer to ASTM. And ASTM water absorbtion test (ASTM D-570) for plastics has many parts as do the ISO’s and the ASTM tests for other products .  ASTM for plastics test, which I read over today in order to quote for a CHinese company (ASTM D-570) has the 2 hour boiling water absorbtion, the 24 ambient  water absorbtion, and long term absorbtion (where it comes to equillibrium) along with other tests/parameters..

In any of these tests you need to quote the subsection of the testing because they all mean different things and yield different numbers.

BTW on a personal note, my wife was recently remembering when she met your wife at the 2009 solid surface show. Those 2 really hit it off, and made me smile!

Norm Walters

Lenny, my wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary last April, she’s a keeper for sure. She is a nurse and when I am slow with my work she puts in some overtime, quite a well functioning unit we are.

Lenny E

Norm ,

Susan is a nurse? Thats so cool. I imagine you get  your sprains bandaged for free, and also free flu shots!

All joking and kidding aside, your wife like mine are both keepers! I dont know why we deserve them, I guess we are both lucky guys!

My wife helps me alot in the business, with introductions, tips on oriental culture, translation etc.

Where would we be without them?

KCWOOD

Posted By Lenny E on 20 Aug 2010 09:39 PM
    Norm ,

My wife helps me alot in the business, with introductions, tips on oriental culture, translation etc.

Where would we be without them?

So it was your wife that taught you the Chinese drinking customs.

Tom M

Kevin’s link (04 Apr 2010 09:23 AM, above) was the link I was looking for, but I find myself going to another page on the same site (actually part of the sameposting). It can be found here:
    http://www.findstone.com/daniel1.htm

This page contains an image of the stereotypical granite. Move your cursor within the image, and will redirect to a definition of that part of the stone. Pretty cool, really. link is here:
    http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~rmr/definition.html#map

Thanks again, Kevin for the link.

Tom M

I just realized that I found that page thanks to Mark, posting at [16 Aug 2010 04:35 PM] above. Thanks for that Texas link, Mark.

There is really some great stone info out there. It helps me to convince the consumer why I’m better than that home center store guy to buy from.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Those websites are packed full of information. Thanks

Mark Meriaux

Glad to share……still learning myself!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.