Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

I often go to findstone for some great articles about technical issues with stone (if anyone has other suggestions I’d love to hear them). I also go to stone forums from the SFA and MIA, etc. for personal anecdotes, etc. about issues such as care and cleaning, handling, etc.

I used to have a site bookmarked that was a great resource telling us what minerals could be found in which stone species. More than just saying that granite is quartz and some different feldspars, it would take all the most common types of stone and break each one down. It was an amazing source and for the life of me I don’t know how to find it again. My computer went belly up and although I saved most of the data, my bookmarks were  lost in the cyber sphere.

Can anyone help me with this?

Seth Emery

I’m not sure if this is what you are looking for, but both sites are pretty thorough: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minerals and http://www.all-gemstones.com/

Kevin Padden

Is this what you were referring to?

http://www.findstone.com/daniel2.htm

hth

kevin

Tom M

Seth, the wikipedia link is almost a reverse of what I was looking for, but definitely worthy of a bookmark. Thank you for sending them out.

Kevin – it might be the right one, but I thought the page got more specific with what each stone species was made up of.

Thank you both for sending out the links.

KCWOOD

Tom.. I used this site once for the brown granites

http://finska.gsf.fi/  

Tom M

Thanks, KC.
    I bookmarked that one too. I’d like to find a site that does what that site does for all stones used as countertops.

KCWOOD

1. New Venetian Gold, Brazil; medium grained, yellow-beige gneiss with many dark red garnets
    2. Uba Tuba, Brazil; A medium- to coarse grained, olive-green granite
    3. Santa Cecilia, Brazil; A coarse-grained, yellow-grey gneiss with up to pie-sized, red garnets
    4. Tropic Brown, Saudi Arabia; medium-grained, brown granite
    5. Absolute Black, India; black basalt
    6. Tan Brown, India; A black-brown igneous rock with big, shapeless, brown-red feldspar crystals
    7. Giallo Ornamental, Brazil; coarse-grained, brown-yellow granulite with some brown-red garnets
    8. Crema Bordeaux, Brazil; Juparana Crema Bordeaux (Brunello). A coarse- to very coarse-grained, pink to red granite with areas of quartz, alkali feldspar and quite a lot of ore
    9. Baltic Brown, Finland; brown-black granite
    10. Giallo Veneziano, Brazil; medium- to coarse-grained, ochre-yellow to golden-brown, also light pink, gneiss
    11. Dakota Mahogany, USA; medium- to coarse-grained, brown-red granite
    12. China Black, China, a fine-grained plutonic rock
    13. Yellow Star, China, a medium-grained yellow to pink granite

Tom M

All good info, but I am looking more for what kind of feldspar, type of quartz, is there biotite, mica, garnet, etc.

KCWOOD

geez Tom….  why would anyone care what it contains?  I’m not sure there is a complete list on the web, that is easy to find. maybe a search of individual species would produce something.

Seth Emery

Thanks, Tom, for posting this thread, and thanks, Kevin and Kelsey, for the links. I am going to add the links to my favorites at work, and also email them to others that I think will find them helpful.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend,
    Seth

Jeff Handley

Stone Finders,

Here is a link to a free trial version of Naturtal Stones World Wide. It is a searchable online database that is regularly updated.

http://www.natural-stone-database.com/

Here is a sample description of Academy Black from the full version I have: (I also converted some of the technical info, hopefully correctly.)
    A fine-grained, black gabbro of Cretaceous age.
    Technical and physical characteristics: Bulk density: 2.88 – 2.92 kg/m³, bending strength: 14.9 – 16.8 Mpa, compression breaking load: 168.3 – 203.9 Mpa, water absorption: 0.12 weight-%.
    Bulk density according to ASTM C97: 182.6 pcf; modulus of rupture according to ASTM C99: 2,385 psi; compressive strenght according to ASTM C170: 29,000 psi; absorption according to ASTM C97: 0.12 %, frost resistant, polish constant.
    Uses: Construction stone, ornamental stone.

This stone internationally may be nominated as a granite. For the US- and Chinese market this is correct according to ASTM C 119 resp. GB/T 17670. But in the area of application of the European Standard (EN) this stone must be nominated as gabbro because the EN 12440 demands a scientific terminology for the denomination of natural stones, determined with a petrografic examination according to EN 12407 and 4.2 of prEN 12670. In case of doubt please ask your supplier.

It also gives quarry locale, supplier contact information, picture where available, and Aka. names.

Jeff

Tom M

NOW THAT is worth checking out!

Thank you Jeff, I will look into it.

Tom M

That site gives some awesome info, if not quite what I was looking for. That said, it is worth getting the free three day pass to see if it does with subscription.

Thanks again, Jeff.

Jeff Handley

You’re Welcome, Tom.

We really rely on the quarries for composition information.
    Some of the Natural Stones World Wide listings do have the info you like to see. See below:
    Giallo Veneziano
    A medium- to coarse-grained, ochre-yellow to golden-brown, also light pink gneiss ( pegmatitic orthogneiss ) of the Precambrian period, with biotite and garnet, Italian “giallo” = yellow. This stone internationally may be nominated as a granite. For the US- and Chinese market this is correct according to ASTM C 119 resp. GB/T 17670. But in the area of application of the European Standard (EN) this stone must be nominated as gneiss because the EN 12440 demands a scientific terminology for the denomination of natural stones, determined with a petrografic examination according to EN 12407 and 4.2 of prEN 12670. In case of doubt please ask your supplier.

Mineral distribution on the average: microperthitic microcline: 45%, quartz: 30%, oligoclase: 16%, biotite: 5%, accessories: 4%.

Uses: Building stone, ornamental stone.

Location: Brazil (quarry RN 000232/Zona di Pipinuque/Corrego de Agua Preta/Nova Venecia/Espirito Santo)

Synonyms: Amarello Veneciano, Amarelo Venecia, Amarelo Veneciano, Amarelo Veneziano, Giallo Venecciano, Giallo Venecia, Giallo Veneciano, Giallo Venetano, Giallo Venetiano, Giallo Venezia, Giallo Veniziano, Gialo Veneziano, Golden Venecia, Juparana Venecia, Juparana Venezia, Juperana Venezia, Korall Gelb, Venecia Amarelo, Venetian Gold, Venezia Amarelo, Yellow Venezia

Bulk Density: 2,629 kg/m³
    Bending Strength: 17.79 MPa
    Compressive Strength: 117.10 MPa
    Water Absorption: 0.32%
    Abrasion Resistance: 0.95 mm

For extra credit you can check out the minerals at http://www.mindat.org
    http://www.mindat.org/min-975.html —Link goes to the mineral Chrysotile, AKA Canadian Asbestos.

Jeff

Tom M

Now THAT’s what I’m talking about!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.