Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author

oops..

sorry dave… 32 sq’

Tom, I must still be sleeping. Could I see that spread sheet.

Geez, cant figure sq footage or call people by there right name. Man it must be friday. I better just wake up befor I go start templating today.

With the spreadsheat I sent Tom, it figures all Straight Tops, “L” shaped Tops (Without bar), “U” Shaped Tops (Without Bar) and cove lin. inches as well. With L and U shapes with bars attached I usually do the normal L or U and then create a straight peice on the spreadsheet to cover the remaining size of the added bar. It goes fairly quick once you have been doing it for awhile.

I have started working on the sheet to try and create a formula for L and U shapes with bar additions or for whatever reason one side is bigger.

Tom, you can share that spreadsheet with anyone you think it might help or someone who wants to try and help create that formula, so we all can get this thing figured out to help everyone that needs it.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Tom,

I sent you a file, did you get it. Not sure you can receive email from me. Send me a test email and I will reply to it. Thanks

Tom M

Andy,

Odd. Yesterday I got nothing, today I got two but yes, I got it and I emailed back.

Incidently I’m the only guy who sees the email coming to the company, so no worries there.

The addy you sent it to gives me the option of getting it at home as well as work, so that’s a good thing.

Tom M

I think I got it. Last night it hit me. It’s an easy add-in that everyone should be able to insert into the formula, but I need people to double-check me on this. :

For every corrner a top has: “L” = one, “U” = two, etc., make a cell that figures width times width for each affected leg, convert sq. in. to sq, ft., and subtract once from the total.

take an “L” shaped top that is 1 foot by 5 feet on one leg, and 1 foot by 10 feet on the other leg.

Double counting the corner gives you 15 sq. ft. of surface, which is wrong, as it is really 14 (1′ x 5′, plus 1′ x 9′).

by inserting the “corner” cel the formula would take width 1 (1 foot) and multiply by width B (1 foot) and subtract the 1 sq. ft. from the total of 15, giving the correct answer of 14 sq. ft.

Can someone with brains check this for me?

If this works, you have a living cell that is automatically figured and included in the master formula.

Tom

p.s. Travis – would you send me your email to info”at”mathertops.com ? Thanks. And thank you, Robert for sending me the file.

TOM–

You nailed it! I am did it on paper and I did a test on the spreadsheet and it was right on the money. now it does not matter if one leg is bigger than the other it will figure it out. I am incorporating it into the current spreadsheet and I will e-shoot it to you to review it for me, is that ok?

I will have to do it after lunch though….wife is pulling me from the chair, she is hungry.

Tom M

Robert,

Thank you. I will be looking forward to getting it. If Travis posts his email, could you send him one as well?

If I’m right, I think this will be able to be incorporated into just about any excell spread sheet, with a formula adjustment, yes?

Chris

Thought it looks like you’ve already worked it all out, for any who are interested, the way QuickQuote figures it is to automatically break the shape into its rectangle components and then add up their individual squarefootage. Then it checks each side for a splash, and uses the inputted splash height * the length of the side to get the splash sqft and adds it to the rest.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Sounds right but one question. If one leg of the U is wider, how much will it subtract from the corner.

The formula needs to concider the “Width” of the leg in its calculation. So when you say yes to the inside corner dimension, it figure the width and subtracts it from sq’ total.

Does that make sense?

Tom M

Right, Andy.

The widths are actually the only things needed to be considered, but must be, if the different dimensions are to work each time.

Tom, I will send it to Travis when I see his email…I am almost done with it. Yes the formula should work all any spreadsheet to my knowledge.

Andy, The formula I am incorporating you will type in the length and width of each leg and it will figure sq in and sq ft taking in conciderations the depths of each leg no matter what the dimensions. I believe thats what you asked. I can send you a copy also to look at if you want when I finish it…Hopefully I will finish it here shortly.

As Tom already knows, it is the pretiest thing out there but it will figure the basics.

Travis is at.. counterwise@qwest.net

Thanks everyone, I knew we could figure this out

Tom,

It is on the way to youHeads up on it is that I am using Excel 2007 and it was hitting me with flags that some features I did are not supported in lower versions so hopefully the formulas in place will work and you can make it pretty on your own.

Travis it is on the way to you as well, above info same for you unless you guys are running Office 2007 or something compatable to it.

Any questions? Don’t hesitate to ask…Hope this is what we were looking for….

I tested it with a “L” shap top 121×26 on leg and 72×36 on the other and on a “U” shape top 50×26 on leg 1, 125×26 on leg 2, and 65×36 on leg 3 and all was good.

Tom M

Robert,

Do you know how to work “if/then” or “true/false” formulas?

I want to try to lay out a spreadsheet with shapes, and include (if/then? or true/false?) cells whether there is a sink hole, and if it is to be finished or not.

The thought also occurs to me that you can auto figure edge footage by subtracting the width of the adjacent leg from the total length of the “L” leg.

Outside of that, I need a life.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.