Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

I was reading another thread and there was some discusion about figuring sq footage. This got me thinking. I use excel and created some formulas to enter my measurments and come up with a sq footage. The problem is that enter my long length on an l then subtract that 26″ from the other leg. Ex. L shape 120×60 .. I would enter 120×26 then 34×26 then add my backsplash and if ss add my edging.

Wouldnt this work as a formula.. =(120+60-26*26/144) Then all you would enter is your back lengths and you would have your footage. Now I need a way to come up with adding edge to it. Also I would need a way to do the same thing but come up with lf edging for silestone quoting as we get charged lf for edging.

Your thoughts??

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We break up all of our tops into squares and enter it into excel. Then we enter all the dimensions of the splash pieces. Excel calculates the square footage and enters a waste factor.

Excel then has multiple pages where it pulls the information together and makes a customer quote.

Tom M

Travis,

Mi problem es su problem. Robert from TriState is sending me out a spreadsheet to look at. You can read it here.

I’ll put up a post after i check it out. Here or there. If anyone else has any ideas on solving this time-killer, I’d appreciate any input.

Tom

Tom M

Andy,

I’m looking to get rid of the whole “break into squares” part of the process. We get so many customer measurements, which often include measurung only to the existing splash face, that we add here or there based on common experience with jobsites. The whole thing takes an awful lot of time, but it is rare that we have to hit the customer up for more dough after template.

Tom, I think I have about got it. I have created a formula in excell to just enter the back wall dimensions and it gives your your sq footage and lf of edging. My problem is I have negetive numbers when the open cells are blank. If I get this figured out I will get with you to see if you want a copy. It even works on u-shapes. Does not work on bar tops as it assumes all tops are 26″ deep but I can simply create another page for bar tops. Should work great for quoting purposes.

Tom M

Travis,

I’ll be looking forward to seeing it.

We need a math geek to come up with the right formula for us to enter backwall lengths, with associated depths. Almost none of our top depths are standard. 25 1/8″, 25 7/16″, etc., with peninsulas all over the map.

Like I said before, if the Quick Quote guys could start us off with the cool drawing program part of their software, that would be worth 1 grand or two right there, then we grow into the whole pricing system.

we’re all cheap bastards here. I like that.

Tom

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

If you work off the backwall measurements only, how do you factor the inside corner measurement. Seems like you would double charge for that.

Tom M

Andy,

Yeah, that seems to be the sticking point. I think that some uber genius math geek would be able to work a field that nullifies the double counting.

Andy this is how i did it in excel

l shape =x+y-26*26/144

u shape = x+y+z-52/144

I checked it and it works.

Matt, Our tops are always different depths also but I always figure everything to the next inch so keep things easy so I always just figure it as 26.

As far as running an l or u shape into a bar top I will just write a formula but instead of 26 fI will use 36 as that is a standard size bar. If you get into custom size bars then well you will just have to do it the old fashion way.

My brother has his masters in mathamatics. I will send him an email and ask if there is a formula for what we want to do. I am sure there is I am just to stupid to figure it out.

Sorry ..

U shape = x+y+z-52*26/144

Tom M

Thanks, Travis.

Ideally, if I could get something like Quick Quote has, but in a measure/result only form, it does all that stuff for you. Enter whatever the dimensions are, then the widths and voila! Each leg can have a different dimension in width and it works out just fine.

You guys are killing yourselves. Do you guys count the splash in the sq ft? How about a raised 16″ bar, do you include 2 edges in the sq ft. price. Question: how many sq ft would you say was in a 25 1/2″ x 144″ top with 3″ back splash and 2 end splashes?

Tom M

Wes, heck with the spreadsheet Robert sent, all that’s easy.

The only issue is the double counting, and I confess I have no idea what Travis’ formula even means. But if it works I want to learn it.

It’s not that we don’t know how to draw it (in my case), it’s not that we can’t do the math for spreadsheet pricing, like Andy, it’s that we know there is an easier way and want it.

Tom M

Excello freaks out there:

How about, for every corner on the top, the spreadsheet has a cell that takes the dimensions that overlap – width A x width B, divides it by two*, and subtracts that from the over-all formula?

*not sure if this is the right formula, but I think it is in the right spot, and with the right amount.

Matt, If its ok with Robert can I take a look at that spread sheet ?

Dave 13 sq feet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.