Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Posted By Brian Stone on 30 Apr 2010 11:38 AM
    We switched to Granite Grabbers a couple months ago and they seem to be working really well.

Brian:

I talked the Granite Grabber inventor into sending me a sample and reviewed same on this site. I tried to link, but just like the PM feature, the Search function here doesn’t work for me.

They held really well for about eighteen months. I followed the instructions perfectly and my top is estone which is smoother than granite which should provide an even better adhesive surface.

Unless you want every customer for which you’ve provided these to put reattaching the dishwasher on your honey-do list like my wife has, I’d quit using them immediately.

Joe

P.S.:

Is there a modern dishwasher made that doesn’t have side attachments? If not, why are we solving a problem that doesn’t exist anymore?

Brian Stone

Posted By Kowboy on 02 May 2010 12:14 PM

Is there a modern dishwasher made that doesn’t have side attachments? If not, why are we solving a problem that doesn’t exist anymore?

Because we do it to ourselves. It’s the same as going back to a job when someone bought Absolute Black Honed or Nocturne tops and they say that they can’t get the fingerprint smudges off of them. Instead of saying the top is dirty and they should clean it better we put it on ourselves to go out and show the customer how to clean of their tops.

I just did a call for a dishwasher reinstall. After the granite guys put the tops in for the second time, she wasn’t about to call them when the top of the dishwasher door was getting scraped by the mesh nuts epoxied to the bottom of the countertop. On my way to the house, I stopped by the appliance store and picked up a Frigidare dishwasher installation kit:

I pulled the dishwasher, removed the flanges and installed the kit, fixed a supply line leak, leveled the dishwasher, and screwed it in. The lady was happy except the manufacturer’s installation instructions required the dishwasher flange to be flush with the cabinet fronts instead of behind as before. She could see the white of the flange now and didn’t like it. I told her to get some permanent black magic marker and she liked that idea. With drive time and the plumbing leak this became a five hour job.

If I ran a shop, I’d have nothing to do with dishwashers except this.

Modern dishwashers can be mounted to the cabinets or lagged to the floor to prevent tipping. Too many granite guys are solving problems that don’t belong to them.

Joe

KCWOOD

wow…. 5 hrs…  of course she paid you to “solve her problem”.

Guess taking 30 sec and screwing the feet up would have been too easy..

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 09 Jul 2010 05:53 AM

Kelsey:

Had you taken the time to read and comprehend the post to which you are responding, you would have read “…leveled the dishwasher…” which involved screwing the feet up as you suggested. Leveling the dishwasher does not prevent tipping by itself. You aren’t suggesting that binding the dishwasher by pushing it to the countertop to prevent tipping is a proper installation? That may fly in Kentucky, but you’d get laughed out of Michigan for a trick like that. Please provide ANY diswasher manufacturer that recommends that installation technique.

It is not my fault this lady lives an hour away, nor is it my fault she didn’t have the proper kit and had to pay me to pick it up which was even further. It is not my fault she had a hillbilly supply line to the dishwasher with the shutoff in the crawlspace that was blocked by tons of household debris. The stainless flex line passed through the floor and had a failed gasket in the female end, which is not my fault either. 

Of course the proper fix was to unload the debris, properly terminate the hillbilly supply line in the crawlspace, install a shutoff under the sink and supply the dishwasher properly. She didn’t want to spend the money. That makes my repairs a terrific value. That is my fault.

Joe  

Brian Stone

Posted By Kowboy on 09 Jul 2010 05:08 PM

Kelsey:

Had you taken the time to read and comprehend the post to which you are responding, you would have read “…leveled the dishwasher…” which involved screwing the feet up as you suggested. Leveling the dishwasher does not prevent tipping by itself. You aren’t suggesting that binding the dishwasher by pushing it to the countertop to prevent tipping is a proper installation? That may fly in Kentucky, but you’d get laughed out of Michigan for a trick like that. Please provide ANY diswasher manufacturer that recommends that installation technique.

Joe –
    My interpretation of “screwing the feet up” must be different from your interpretation. You said that the dishwasher door was hitting the nuts on the bottom of the counter top. The first thing I would do is screw the feet up INTO the dishwasher. This would effectively make the dishwasher shorter and possibly give you the clearance needed to clear the nut.

I don’t see anything in Kelsey’s post that implies that he would have simply wedged the dishwasher into the opening to hold it in place. You’re jumping to conclusions and coming off as a jack-ass.

Brian

Joe,
    If wedging it into place does not work you can always throw a brick on the inside.

KCWOOD

Posted By Brian Stone on 14 Jul 2010 01:28 PM

Kelsey:

Joe –
    My interpretation of “screwing the feet up” must be different from your interpretation. You said that the dishwasher door was hitting the nuts on the bottom of the counter top. The first thing I would do is screw the feet up INTO the dishwasher. This would effectively make the dishwasher shorter and possibly give you the clearance needed to clear the nut.

I don’t see anything in Kelsey’s post that implies that he would have simply wedged the dishwasher into the opening to hold it in place. You’re jumping to conclusions and coming off as a jack-ass.

Brian

Brian, thank you. Joes post was so stupid… who reads the manufactures installation instructions on how to install a dishwasher. The magic marker statement was just a coverup of him not putting the dishwasher in the right place and him telling the homeowner, I had to do it that way… the big bad manufacturer told me too.
    Joe… why not go over and troll the stone site for a while… I think they need your humor there more than we do.

Posted By Brian Stone on 14 Jul 2010 01:28 PM

Kelsey:

Joe –

Brian

Brian:

I am always interested in how my responses are perceived and I thank you for your honest assessment.

I suggest you look at the crux of what Kelsey was implying, which is that I was ripping my client off by spending five hours when a thirty-second fix was all that was required. No diswashers are properly leveled in thirty seconds. That is not a conclusion jump, that is fact.

Joe

Brian, thank you. Joes post was so stupid… who reads the manufactures installation instructions on how to install a dishwasher. The magic marker statement was just a coverup of him not putting the dishwasher in the right place and him telling the homeowner, I had to do it that way… the big bad manufacturer told me too.
    Joe… why not go over and troll the stone site for a while… I think they need your humor there more than we do.

Kelsey:

Do you show such contempt for the manufacturer’s fabrication and installation instructions for solid surface as you do for dishwashers?

Joe

Bill Wolle

As much as this pains me and given that I do not want to get between the three of you on this (can I even get between three?) –

The dishwasher being recessed behind the face of the cabinets will allow steam from the dishwasher to escape (when the door is opened) into the cavity hastening the demise of the cabinets. (not your cabinets Kelsey, just the cheaper stuff that is out there, like in my house)

Just sayin’

KCWOOD

Posted By William Wolle on 15 Jul 2010 09:16 PM
    As much as this pains me and given that I do not want to get between the three of you on this (can I even get between three?) –

The dishwasher being recessed behind the face of the cabinets will allow steam from the dishwasher to escape (when the door is opened) into the cavity hastening the demise of the cabinets. (not your cabinets Kelsey, just the cheaper stuff that is out there, like in my house)

Just sayin’

Good grief Bill… you sound like…  na… won’t say it.  Noone has ever implied a dishwasher be set behind a face frame… hell on a laminate top the clips would be behind the lip.
    If you set the dishwasher out too far which will show the edge of the tub, instead of being hidden by the face frame, then you have to tell the customer something that the manufacturer never had imagined. 

Can you imagine reading this: If the installer has postioned the dishwasher past the face frame and the white edge is visible behind the door trim, then take a magic marker and color in the visible edge.

Joe, not sure where solid surface came into the conversation,  but I’m not sure what installation instructions you are referring to.  Any time I have called a manufacturer, they tell me do what i think will work. My 28 yr business reputation preceeds me. Maybe business owners have a different set of rules than non-business owners…  does your fab manuals say “Student Edition”

Just having fun with ya Joe…. 

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 16 Jul 2010 08:11 AM

Posted By William Wolle on 15 Jul 2010 09:16 PM

Just sayin’

Good grief Bill… you sound like…  na… won’t say it.  Noone has ever implied a dishwasher be set behind a face frame… hell on a laminate top the clips would be behind the lip.
    If you set the dishwasher out too far which will show the edge of the tub, instead of being hidden by the face frame, then you have to tell the customer something that the manufacturer never had imagined. 

Can you imagine reading this: If the installer has postioned the dishwasher past the face frame and the white edge is visible behind the door trim, then take a magic marker and color in the visible edge.

Joe, not sure where solid surface came into the conversation,  but I’m not sure what installation instructions you are referring to.  Any time I have called a manufacturer, they tell me do what i think will work. My 28 yr business reputation preceeds me. Maybe business owners have a different set of rules than non-business owners…  does your fab manuals say “Student Edition”

Just having fun with ya Joe…. 

Kelsey:

The subject at hand is manufacturer’s installation instructions. I brought it up in my original post and you expressed a distain for following same. Under the same subject, I asked you if you showed as much disregard for solid surface manufacturer’s instructions as you do for those of dishwashers. Yes, it’s on topic. Yes, it is relevant. Yes, it remains unanswered.

Modern quality dishwashers have a black gasket to take up any space between the cabinet faces and dishwasher tub. The antique plastic-tubbed piece of junk dishwasher I reset does not. I make no apologies for offering cheap and fast topical tricks to “fix” cheap dishwashers.

Your attempt to paint yourself as a business owner and me as not is not only not factual, it is illogical. Ad hominem circumstantial to be specific.

The “Student Edition” remark was clever and I got a kick out of it.

Joe

KCWOOD

Joe… I bet we could have a lot of fun at a bar doing tequila shots… of course we might need a referee after a while…   GiddyUp!!

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 16 Jul 2010 03:34 PM
    Joe… I bet we could have a lot of fun at a bar doing tequila shots… of course we might need a referee after a while…   GiddyUp!!

Kelsey:

Anytime, my man, anytime.

Joe

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.