Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    David Gerard

Not to derail here,  but a stone top question?   When  fabbing and installing granite tops,  is it the responsibility of the installer to provide  a surface in which the dishwasher can be fastened to and if so what?   I am faced with such a task.   I know nothing of stone fabbing.   Thanks in advance,   Davee G   

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

David,

Usually there is plywood subtop on Granite that you can fasten the dishwasher. If there is no subtop, we have glued a piece of wood behind the edge in the dishwasher area to accept a screw. We usually do that on Quartz.

Andy,

You lost me on thast one. Are you not using 3cm materials on the stones?

David,

It is up to the installer to provide such a way to fasten the clips. First see if you can get lucky and have a dishwasher that can be attached through the side into the cabinet styles. If not they make some little clips that you can epoxy on to the bottom of the stone, just make sure the homeowner knows they will see the clip.

Tom M

What Reuben said. The new side mount dishwasher clips are the best option, but often only found on the more pricey models.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We use 2cm on almost 95% of all tops.  3cm on the west coast just hasn’t taken off.

Sorry for the confusion.

We always provide a means to attach the dishwasher.  We feel it is our obligation.

Can youse Inaly a strip of wood ahead of time for a screw?

if its 3cm, i used those little gold things insert with some glue, epoxy not krazy glue…am i expecting a call back guys?…ya know how you hot rod the sink area, cant we just (while the hot rod rabbet saw) is already in our hand go over and hot rod a groove in the dishwasher area and insert wood while your rod is curing for the sink, this could be friendly for any type dishwasher clip??

good idea or is it stupid?

Paul Bingham

We use the rectangular pads and put them on with 2 part epoxy. It only takes a minute or two to put them on and 5 minutes later the screws can be put in. All done. If we are doing an undermount sink we do it at the same time we place the sink mount studs.

Paul

Norm Walters

I agree with Paul, epoxy dishwasher clips to the underside of the top, be it quartz or granite. Integra has a composite bonder made just for this, don’t use solid surface adhesive.

I have also used Devcon 5 minute epoxy with good results, it is available at all Ace Hardware stores

Paul..where can I get them pads? I like that idea..there that strong huh? Im sure ya hafta wipe the dust off…but then you can put a screw in it…i like,,,thanx for the tip

Chris Yaughn

Can you get the make/model for the dishwasher?  While all of the above will work.  By far the easiest thing is to check the DW itself and see if it comes ready to side mount to the cabinet.

We are slowly shifting all of our clients to side mount on the DW.  Most that we see are ready to be side mounted or require a slight mod of existing parts for side mounting.  All suppliers have kits available to side mount the DW if it  doesn;’t come equipped out of the box.

Brian Stone

We suggest that people put a wood strip between the cabinets but that usually isn’t an option with a remodel.

If that isn’t an option then we use dishwasher clips from Chemical Concepts ( http://www.chemical-concepts.com ) I’m assuming that Norm is using something similar.

You can also check here for information

http://www.stoneadvice.com/forum/dishwasher-mounting-question-t15234.html

David Gerard

Thanks Guys,   I never thought to check for side mount holes.  I suppose it’s because we don’t mount any appliances any more.  our license  doesn’t allow it,  but I will look and advise the customer.
    This is the job we are doing a steam shower surround  at and it appears we are getting many of the pick- up tasks left by the other subs.

Adam Nelson

Here is a little twist for you guys on a neat little gadget that we have been using at our place.  We are a 3cm market in kansas city so it is rather difficult to use wood for screws. 

First, if the d/w is on site(we encourage this with our customers) we will attach it at the sides of the cabinet if the d/w model supports that.  If that is not possible we will use the clips with the two part epoxy. 

I have been on jobsites where the company that installed the granite will just put the 2 part epoxy and the clips in a ziploc bag and tape it to the tops.  I am not a fan of this because i feel that it is our companies responsiblity to make it as easy as possible for the customer.

So if there is no way to know exactly where to attach the clips we use a universal d/w mounting bracket.  Its a piece of 1/8″ sheet metal that has tabs on both ends of it that can be folded over and has slots to put a screw into the sides of the cabinets.  The part of the of the bracket that bridges the gap in the cabinets where the d/w goes has a slotted track in it that has two mounting clips in it.  The mounting clips can be slid from side to side in order to accomodate almost any dishwasher.  It is actually pretty neat.

I get these brackets from a company in AZ and they are $4 ea if you buy 50 of them.  The way that I look at it is that I would much rather spend $4 than go to the expense of paying two guys the 30-45 minutes it takes to stop by an otherwise already completed job and put the clips on after the d/w has finally arrived.  I have a pdf file that i can email to anyone that is interested but i have no idea how to put it up here for everyone to see. 

Andy, maybe i can send it to you and you can work your magic?

nelson2326@hotmail.com

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Hello Adam,

You can post your PDF file right here on the forum.  Just attach it under the text box in the “Message Attachments”

If that doesn’t work, just send it to me at andy@thefabricatornetwork.com

Thanks for the input.

Mark Mihalik

If the dw doesn’t have side mounts we drill and achor it into the granite/ES.  We do all 3 cm material.  I use a dewalt hammerdrill with a 3/16″ masonry bit (bosch brand at lowes) and will drill just over 1/2″ into the stone.  Then I use a yellow drywall anchor, cut it off at the first rib, and use a #8- 1/2″ stainless screw to fasten the dw to the stone.  I have never had a failure with this method.  It takes seconds and it costs pennies.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.