Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Norm Walters

Mark, I like the idea, but do you actually have the drill on the hammer mode??

Adam Nelson

Here is the file that shows the universal d/w mounts that we use.  We only use these if the d/w is not on jobsite and it avoids the need for a potential return trip for nothing more than attaching a d/w

Mark Mihalik
    Posted By Norm Walters on 07/26/2008 5:32 PM
    Mark, I like the idea, but do you actually have the drill on the hammer mode??

Yea.  You’ll be there forever if you don’t.  Ive attached near a thousand tops that way with zero issues.  Just use the hole thats furthest from the edge of the top and you’ll be fine.

Rob Parker

I do the same as Mark does. But when there is no D/W on site my clients opt for my clip set. Just epoxy and and screw in.

Brian Stone

Adam –
    Do you ever mount those plates on top of the cabinets or do you always bend the ends over and attach to the sides of the cabs?

Check out http://www.GraniteGrabbers.com .  This is a no brainer when it comes to mounting dishwashers.  No Mess, No drilling, sleek profile!

James Squier

Posted By Adam on 25 Jul 2008 10:06 PM

Here is a little twist for you guys on a neat little gadget that we have been using at our place.  We are a 3cm market in kansas city so it is rather difficult to use wood for screws. 

First, if the d/w is on site(we encourage this with our customers) we will attach it at the sides of the cabinet if the d/w model supports that.  If that is not possible we will use the clips with the two part epoxy. 

I have been on jobsites where the company that installed the granite will just put the 2 part epoxy and the clips in a ziploc bag and tape it to the tops.  I am not a fan of this because i feel that it is our companies responsiblity to make it as easy as possible for the customer.

So if there is no way to know exactly where to attach the clips we use a universal d/w mounting bracket.  Its a piece of 1/8″ sheet metal that has tabs on both ends of it that can be folded over and has slots to put a screw into the sides of the cabinets.  The part of the of the bracket that bridges the gap in the cabinets where the d/w goes has a slotted track in it that has two mounting clips in it.  The mounting clips can be slid from side to side in order to accomodate almost any dishwasher.  It is actually pretty neat.

I get these brackets from a company in AZ and they are $4 ea if you buy 50 of them.  The way that I look at it is that I would much rather spend $4 than go to the expense of paying two guys the 30-45 minutes it takes to stop by an otherwise already completed job and put the clips on after the d/w has finally arrived.  I have a pdf file that i can email to anyone that is interested but i have no idea how to put it up here for everyone to see. 

Andy, maybe i can send it to you and you can work your magic?

nelson2326@hotmail.com

I’m in Kansas city too.. You’re with Ameristone?

Anyways.. Dishwasher bars are great.. But we use a hammer drill & anchor if the dishwasher is in place or we can’t get a dishwasher bar in.

You guys sure do love epoxy. lol

Listen this is the easiest part of stone.. Get yourself a small concrete bit. Put it in our hammerdrill and drill a small hole in the bottom of the stone. Put a drywall anchor in it and then a screw. Works great an doesnt fail.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I have used a hammer drill on quartz and granite. We drill a 3/8″ hole and epoxy the brass inserts in for the sink clips. The inserts will kinda stay without the epoxy but it sure is better with it in.

Be sure to twist the screw in while the epoxy dries or the brass insert will fill up. After dry, just unscrew and add the clips.

This would work for the dishwasher as well, but maybe the other mentioned ideas would work better.

Kevin Padden

Chemical Concepts has a really nice set up that is adjustable – I am finishing the edit
    for their video on these – it will be up on line later this week.

Here is a link to there “No Drill Sink Fastener” Video – in case you have a need for these too….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i53Xfyc-2-w

Enjoy!!!

kevin

E-Z Dishwasher Bracket…
    http://www.ezdishwasherbracket.com/
    They have a video there and also one on YouTube.

I saw this at a StonExpo and it looked like it would work very well.
    Braxton-Bragg, Granite City Tool, GranQuartz, and Regent carry it, and probably some others I am missing.

I would have put it in my own home had I known about it at the time.  Maybe when my dishwasher finally tilts out onto the floor, I’ll put the E-Z bracket in.

Anyone who instructs an installer to use a hammer drill on the bottom of a countertop deserves exactly what he eventually going to get.

Joe

Brian Stone

We switched to Granite Grabbers a couple months ago and they seem to be working really well.

Norm Walters

Posted By Kowboy on 30 Apr 2010 09:53 AM

Anyone who instructs an installer to use a hammer drill on the bottom of a countertop deserves exactly what he eventually going to get.

Joe

I always thought that was scary too Joe.

Posted By Norm Walters on 02 May 2010 06:58 AM

Posted By Kowboy on 30 Apr 2010 09:53 AM

Joe

I always thought that was scary too Joe.

Norm:

First, accurate positioning is very difficult whenever drilling stone and is particularly important in this application.

Second, it is scary for guys like us with many years of hole-drilling experience.

Thirdly, the thought of betting that Jimmy-fifteen-dollars-an-hour is going to follow directions perfectly every time and reimburse me if he drills through the top of an irreparable icy glass estone is as funny as it is terrifying.

Joe

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.