Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    David Gerard

anyone who’ll listen, Thought I would share a uniqe side of work we do living in a comercial fishing town. I was called the other day to come look at fixing up the galley of a beringsea crab boat the “Kustatan” The scope of work seemed doable on such short notice (1 week) Redo the counters. When I stepped in the galley…. whoa “extreme home make over ” boat addition. I looked alittle closer at the cabinets and said somthing stupid that increased my allready overloaded work schedule. “Hey ,can we get a dish washer in here?” “Oh sure if I ….” couldn’t hold back the words. 22″ deep cabinets, no chase for plumbing, no dedicated power source, what ever you want skipper. To drill through the floor is well…..3/8 steel and a bulkhead, make sure you don’t drill into the fresh h2O holding tank! ( did I say I really love these jobs, seriously I do) When I arrived the next day of course the tide was out which meant the ramp down to the floats was steep, since it was blowin 45 knots and raining I called the 1rst mate and 2 of his minions came and fetched up all my gear ( I carried my bag of new FEDSAW PENCILS ) As I started to dismantle the doors and drawers I soon learned that the cabinet job was probably constructed while at sea ( the skillsaw marks dead give away) on the way to Homer from the Columbia river OR. where it was born in 91. Anyway, I snapped my fingers and the range was removed exposing 16 yrs of….well nevermind , too nasty! While working and getting to know the crew some they told me lots of great stories of bashing Ice with bats and sledges for 24 hrs and hooks in the wrist and all the other things that happen on the high seas. This boat was approched to do the Discover y channel’s show ” Deadliest Catch ” but they were 2 births short for camera men. Some of them have worked for the skipper of ” Time Bandit” no love lost there I guess. I was givin one of the young lads to do all the prep and for extra arms in the shop while we make chicken soup from chicken poop. I convinced them to let me do solid surface for the window sills that continuously get wet from condensation during the winter season. I will post the before & after pics and you can look for this boat on the high seas during the show since they fish the same grounds, maybe if you eat fresh snow crab soon it’s possible it came off one of this fleets boats out of Homer. These kind of jobs break up the everyday stuff for sure.&am;#160; I did the demo stuff while they did a shake down of the hydros by launching some 7x’s ( big a$$ pots) in the bay, so I can say “Yea ,I’ve sailed on that boat” !

David Gerard

The porthole is the range vent when possible and the cook like to deep fat fry

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I love that show Deadliest Catch. This will be interesting. Can’t wait to see the final pictures.

Clarence

David Gerard

I got the boat job done! It seemed like a marathon but it can out great , the owner said some good things and he is going to have me redo his state room in April. The job reminded me of working in a bathroom with every sub on site. The boat was always a flurry of activity in a small space. I have so more pics but I don’t want to over load the system so I will consolidate them as to not bare any one. I asked about what it takes to get to the crabbing grounds to start fishing, 30 – 35 grand to leave the harbor for a 6-7 week trip, and they will have to refuel again at sea. But Hey, that boat will make$$$

David Gerard

Let’s try this link flickr.com/photos/22031206@n03

David Gerard

OK try this flickr.com/photos/davidgerard45

David Gerard

Dave, isn’t there some vaccuming you can do or somthing? Hey though since you have time on you hands , how do I get a link from flickr?

lloyd

David Gerard

ya…. killer “net” deals ummmhummmm

Sasha

Tom M

Oh look!
    Madalarnold Schwartzenbright.

Sam Graci

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.