Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • Author

I have a Bosch and a PC 326vs. For my money I would buy another PC. It just runs smother. I also use a graphite pad on mine just to help it run smother and cooler.

I can’t believe nobody has jumped on this thread to POO-POO the bad old belt sander. Judging from the fab survey, the majority don’t use them.

I also have several PC 3″ x 21″ that I use in the shop just for scuffing and flattening up the back side prior to gluing edges.

Johnny C

You guys really using them to scuff sand for build up? We might level a joint if gluing up a complex top one layer at a time, but only hand sand for scuffing build up. Seams, yeah, all the way on bottom and 90% on top. Some edge work, but the festool in the rotary mode seems better and as fast.

Porter cables, four or five both 3 and 4″. Teaching the help not to ride them makes them last for a year or so, but a new hand can burn one up in a day.

Johnny C., we just don’t admit to using them.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

al wrote

You guys really using them to scuff sand for build up? We might level a joint if gluing up a complex top one layer at a time, but only hand sand for scuffing build up. Seams, yeah, all the way on bottom and 90% on top. Some edge work, but the festool in the rotary mode seems better and as fast.

Porter cables, four or five both 3 and 4″. Teaching the help not to ride them makes them last for a year or so, but a new hand can burn one up in a day.

Johnny C., we just don’t admit to using them.

We use them like Johnny said. Befor we put on any edge buildup and sinks, we sand with the belt sander to clean up any offset made by the joints. It really helps to clean all the dirt, grease and roughness left over from the manufaturing process.

We started doing this back in the Avonite days when everything had to be sanded. Probably don’t have to do it now, but we do cause it’s habit.

We sand, but only with a 3 x 24 belt on a wood block. Of course we belt sand the seam flat.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

al wrote

Of course we belt sand the seam flat.

Funny you say that, because most people would tell you never to do that. We belt sand all of our seams.

Matt Kraft

Andy wrote

al wrote

Of course we belt sand the seam flat.

Funny you say that, because most people would tell you never to do that. We belt sand all of our seams.

The Rotex should break everyone of this habit. It is just too fast. All in one step, one tool.

Matt,

Heat……

Belt sander cool

Bump trigger

only.

The first solid surface Haiku, maybe if Tom or Dave hasn’t beat me to it.

Tom M

while al bumped trigger

matt with trusted tool in hand

makes the spinning heat

It’s all in the 5-7-5, Al, the 5-7-5.

bumped is counted as one syllable.

You can replace ‘spinning’ with ‘friction’, but that would be much more painfull.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Tom M wrote

while al bumped trigger

matt with trusted tool in hand

makes the spinning heat

It’s all in the 5-7-5, Al, the 5-7-5.

bumped is counted as one syllable.

You can replace ‘spinning’ with ‘friction’, but that would be much more painfull.

What?

Matt Kraft

Hmmmm…….. I don’t speak haiku

Are you guys trying to tell me you don’t like to use the Rotex due to heating up the seam too much? And only using the bump trigger on the belt sander? Doesn’t add up to me, but I will check it out. Have an infrared thermometer right here, but how hot is too hot??

Using the belt sander would violate a major rule we have around here. Belt sanders do not touch the deck of a countertop. Period.

robert seke

Hey Matt,

I will be sending dave at Fed Saw some samples of our perforated belts, which due to foam layer and multi-holes significantly reduces heat and loading on belts. try them out, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Rob
    Joest Abrasives

Jon Olson
    I have to agree with Matt. We Rotex our seams. You save on labor . There our times a belt sander is needed. But that is rare. I would think a belt sander would cause more heat.

Shane Barker

We very rarely use a belt sander in our solid surface shop, but all the time in our laminate shop. We use a straight line sander to rough up edges and flatten the seams. I have used this sander for over fifteen years and have not found a better way to completely take out the seam ripples and make the seam flat. Because the sander is a line sander it stays pretty cool, is easy to use, and sands very flat. The down side is that it takes a lot of air, not really a problem in the shop but you would need a big compressor to use it in the field.

Shane

Norm Walters

I use a Beaver Seam Leveler and a Rotex.

greg schrock

Yeah, you can’t sand too much. I don’t let the guys use one, but I will balance a sander on a major squeeze out and bump the trigger a few times. Grind down to around an sixteenth of an inch or so, stopping before it touches the top, then rotex it off with 120 grit.

Not scientific, but when doing a feild seam, I check the temp with my hand once in a while so as not to over heat the seam. In my experience, the belt sander is cooler than the rotex, faster too. A sixty grit belt sands cool and fast, but you have to be careful.

But, hey, what do I know.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.