Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author

All:

I am having problems with some Dewalt belt sanders. I will have then for just about 1 1/2 years and then I will be sanding with them and they just stop period. First one I sent in and they could not ever get the part after 4 months so store I bought it from just gave me a new one off the shelf (great servfice) this last one sent it in they looked it over said did not look bad sent it back it ran but not exactly as I thought well today it laid down dead again.

Before I send it in I was curious what brands others are using and how laong have they been in service?

Reuben

Matt Kraft

Bosch. Purely off the top of my head…..but 1276DVS sounds right. The 4 x 24 model. They are fantastic.

Jon Olson

I love Bosch 4 inch belt sanders.?

Shane Barker

I have always used Porter Cable, they are real die hards.

Shane

Reuben, What I see out in the field is mainly Porter-Cable. They’re reliable, especially in solid surface dust. As the other guys have stated, Bosch is a very reliable tool as well.

As far as your yellow belt sander goes, let me ask you one question: How many high end Bosch and Porter-Cable belt sanders do you see in Lo/Depot?

How many yellow ones do you see there? Lots

Jon Olson

How many of you guys put graphite pads on your sanders? It makse for a smooth ride.

Jon, do you buy the manufactures pre-cut graphite pads or buy it in rolls?

Reason being, it is a heck of a lot cheaper to buy graphite by the yard than in pre-cut form. Check with your local power tool supplier or tool repair to see if they sell it this way. You’ll be surprised at the price differance.

Yeah I know Dave, but around here yellow is what everbody has on the shelf. If I need a tool now becouse the other is broke down that is all I can get. I am looking at just getting some back ups of the brands I want to switch over to ordered in, but when it is a hurry up deal it stinks.

Reuben

Jon Olson

Dave we buy it in rolls from a tool repair place.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We have had Bosch and Porter Cable. The fine dust really eats any of them alive. Don’t expect them to last forever.

I think it is important to have a 4″ model with the graphite pad. Makes the beltsander more usable for a beginner. (Rueben, I am not calling youa beginner, I am talking in general terms)

Its alright to call me a beginner becouse I am just starting to learn all we can do with countertops. I do not expect them to last forever but I would think I can do better than 1 1/2 years before they need half the cost of a new one in parts.

What model number of Bosch is every one using? What about Bosch routers?

Reuben

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Actually our go in for service at least that often, but we use ours on all of our seams and the bottom of the material before we glue an edge on.

Joe Corlett

All:

Perhaps Porter Cable can use this story in their “Kids, don’t try this at home” department:

Over twenty years ago, in a store fixture manufacturing plant I worked at, I watched a guy hook a hundred foot extension cord to a Porter Cable 4″ belt sander. He was kind of skinny and was able to put his toes on top of the sander and squat. He puled the trigger and ran down the shop floor until she unplugged.

We laughed our a$$es off.

Of course I strongly recommend against such worker’s comp rate raising behavior, despite the entertainment value.

But that’s a hell of a sander, none the less.

Joe

Shane Barker

Back in the late seventies I worked in my dads laminate shop, I had a bad habit of hitting the trigger when I picked up the belt sander to make sure it was plugged in. One time in doing that the sander came to rest on my leg before it stopped turning and proceeded to suck up my jeans and a portion of my skin into that little space between the belt and the housing of the sander. Speechless because of the pain I continued to manually reverse the belt to remove my leg, I had about a 3” oval on my leg that was discolored and numb for about a year. It was a humbling experience in the use of a belt sander, I gained a whole new respect for them. It was in fact a porter cable sander and I have been using them for over thirty years, I would have a hard time switching to any other brand.

Shane

I have 3 porter cable 4×24 belt sanders. I have never had any problems with them and I also think they are the most comfortable to hold. The only repairs I have ever had to do is cords. It was not the tool failing , it was my guys running over the cords with the sander.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.