Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Matt Kraft

Tom M wrote

Same as Matt here.
    We use a different one from Chem. Concepts for the dishwasher. Matt, we are currently using a 3-M epoxy. You really like Chem Concept’s glue?

Also used the vance for cast-iron or porcelin sinks. Works really well, in my opinion.

Tom

Dave,

We have had more instances of the stud pulling out of the waffle backer than the epoxy bond breaking loose from the solid surface. That epoxy is as reliable as anything else that I have used. But I haven’t used many other epoxies.

Better than one fabricator who worked for me briefly who swore by gluing MDF blocks to the back of the tops, then running a 3/4″ drywall screw through the sink clip. Not the only thing him and I couldn’t agree on……he doesn’t work here anymore.

Adam Koicuba

Matt, the stud pulling off of the clip?? How?

Matt Kraft
    Spot weld (or solder, whatever it is) has broke while tightening too tight using channel locks on wing nut.

No big deal, idiot operator, but just saying those have broke, not the epoxy bond.

Matt,

are you using the rotoloc clips or some other brand? I have been using the clip from chemical concepts since they came out and have never had that happen, whether it be on solid surface, e stone or granite. Did you explain to your employees that tightening a sink down that much will embed the sink in the top. [EMO]bigsmile.gif[/EMO]

Tom M
    Spot weld (or solder, whatever it is) has broke while tightening too tight using channel locks on wing nut

How many pounds of force did this guy think it needed?

Thanks for your opinions, Dave and Matt. I will give it some thought.
    I haven’t dug in with the math, but when you’re low volume retail (shop of five/six, incl. all installers, lam, ss, etc.) it honestly doesn’t cost a lot more to use top shelf (name brand) stuff. On the other hand, when just as good meets pretty close to less expensive, you gotta think about it.

Tom

We use Composite Bonder from Integra……There is Instructional video on there site……Stuff works Great

pres366

Tom, if what you use from 3M works, then that’s half the battle.

Matt, I guess that’s the old human nature thing…

Wags

I have seen solid surface sinks hard seamed into granite and ES using solid surface adhesive. It worked well but does take alot of work to make it look “integral”. Lots of grinding and poishing around the sink.

Norm Walters

It seems like you could oversize the sink cutout in granite or estone by a 1/16″, then just sand that much off the sink to get it to blend in. Alot easier to sand solid surface than to grind shiny. Wags, I am also wondering what kind of adhesive was used to attach the sinks you saw. The accessory bonder remains somewhat flexible and comes in one color, and I don’t know how “machinable” it is, although it will bond disimilar surfaces. The estone adhesive from Integra works on both solid surface and estone, I don’t know about granite though.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.