Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

How is everyone mounting sinks on estone and granite.

I was tought to use bondo on vanitys and on kitchens I just gut a 45 on
    the end of2x4 mount sink with silicone and then screw 2×4 into side of
    sinkbase.

Fedsawdave. Do you have any samples you could send me? I am looking for
    solutions on dishwashers also. Not a big deal on 2cm with stacked edge
    but on 3cm material there is no way to attach a dishwasher unless the
    unit has side mount adapters.

there are alot of different ways to attach a sink, especially if it’s to granite or a surface that is really rough. for most sinks (>50lbs), a good solid bead of high grade silicone all around the rim is sufficient to hold the bowl. after letting the silicone cure, you can get up and stand in the bowl. so @ that point it becomes a question of holding the bowl in place until it cures. there are lots of different glue on anchors, that hold the bowl w/clips. you could also use epoxy and wood blocks. I’ve seen folks use cut pieces of 1x lumber as props underneath, and as a sort of a “T” prop screwed together from above.

as for dishwashers, I’m not sure who manufactures them, but I’ve seen glue on anchors that are basically a small 1/2″x1″ plate w/a small nut attached, and they come w/a short screw to go thru the dishwasher tab. those are super easy to attach, and are easy if the homeowner ever wants to get their dishwasher back out.

Joe Corlett
    Mark Osty

Travis, send your address to me at: simplyservice@aol.com and samples of all bowl clips will be on the way.

As far as the part of just using silicone, if I read that correctly…no way. Unless, you want a homeowner down your throat when the sink falls out. As always, there are variables but several times a month I get a frantic call from a homeowner saying their sink fell out. All because the fabricator either did not no that drilless fasteners were available or they were to cheap to spend 5 bucks on the clips to secure it the right way. Vance sink setters are also indestructable especially on heavy sinks.

Anyone want samples…e-mail me.

Jeff Matthis

And yes, we have 2 types of drilless dishwasher clips. Adjustable & non-adjustable.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Dave,

Silicone will actually hold a sink on for a very long time. The problem I find with just using silicone is that you have to put on a lot for it to hold. Then the silicone squeezes out onto the sink. We always add sink clips or support just in case.

scott turi

Andy, then the folks I’ve dealt with must have fabricators using an 1/8″ bead to hold in a sink. I agree that if done right, with a lot of silicone, that’s possible but the key words here are: “done right”. I mean come on, 3,4.5 bucks worth of clips on a job and you’re assured of no call back…ever. Most of us do not dance in our sinks.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

FEDSAWDAVE wrote
    Andy, then the folks I’ve dealt with must have fabricators using an 1/8″ bead to hold in a sink. I agree that if done right, with a lot of silicone, that’s possible but the key words here are: “done right”. I mean come on, 3,4.5 bucks worth of clips on a job and you’re assured of no call back…ever. Most of us do not dance in our sinks.

I do agree, I am just saying that silicone will hold if done correctly. I would just add the clips and be done with it. Don’t want a customer to call back unless they are gonna buy another countertop.

And I’m tired of telling homeowners that if the fabricator they chose, had only spent a couple of bucks on clips, they would not be standing in my showroom, wasting my time. Of course, they “got a good deal” Really? Me thinks not.

You get what you pay for.

Dani Homrich

I would not recommended just using silicone to hold any sink. The problem is the vibration from the disposal will definitely break down the bond with time even if done correctly and the cheaper the sink the more vibration. You need to install a minimum of 4 clips for all silicone mountings.

Dani

mike vaughn

I use a nutsert(not sure if this is the correct name just what it is called by Cambria) you drill a 1/4″ x 1/4″ hole and put the rivet in the hole (Granite city tools sell both the gun and the rivets) They call them rivets which I have never figured out why. The “rivet” threads on to the gun and when you “pop” it flairs out you unscreaw the gun and screaw a 10/24 screaw in the “rivet”. Works great we can undermount a sink in less than 10 minutes.

Geoff Bush

Do you have to use the gun? We sell brass knurled inserts that then take a 10-32 machine truss screw and 10-32 wing nut. They also come in 10-24. Sounds along the same line.

Keith Watson

Make that 4 clips on a undermount vanity sink. 4 won’t cut it on a undermount kitchen sink. No way, no how. Minimum of 3 front and back and 2 on each end. It ain’t no fun getting under a sink with all the crap people put under their sinks to fix one thats coming loose. Better safe than sorry! And if its a cast iron. forget the clips and go with structural bracing or Vance supports. One thing I see being done in alot of shops I call on is guys glueing and overlapping a piece of solid surface on the sink flange. NOT A GOOD IDEA! Sinks get dented, chipped and just plain old. Who wants to get inside the sink base with a roto zip and cut away the solid surface blocks. Not me. been there done that After all you should be charging to underount a sink vs a self rimming. Am I wrong guys?

neil kelley

Travis, Email me your address and I will send you a free sample of my companies Sinkbonder.
    Adhesive Technologies Sinkbonder has a strength rating of over 4500PSI. This product is relatively new to the Industry, and not to many people are evn awre this product exist. I have one customer who has mounted over 250 sinks with this product. I’ll need to know what type of sink. Glueman

glueman

I would love to send you an email but you did not list your address and your profile does not give it either.

CounterWise, Inc.

909 2nd. Street

Rock Springs, WY 82901

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.