Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We have had what you would call secretaries over the years and have noticed a few things.

• You will lose business if they are not experienced.
    • It will cost you an arm and a leg
    • They will help you lose the customers you already have

So my question, how do you handle the additional phone calls when you are already busy with a customer or on the other line?

I kinda feel like spending some money on a quality phone system that will have mail boxes and call forwarding, even phone extensions that the customer can choose.

Is there a system that anyone has had that can do this at a reasonable cost?

David Gerard

“Hello, this is Dave” that would be me. 99 % of our calls are cell phone based, otherwise the home/office mssg gets it. I guess Im one of the lucky ones with only simple needs.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

That is the way we used to be but it seems to be more complicated but not sure why. Maybe we are just getting busy with homeowners visiting the showroom.

Jeff Handley

In my opinion, having a live person answer the phone is a great feature for businesses.

Here is a highly regarded source for PBX equipment and software.
    http://www.talkswitch.com/us/en/

Can’t you find someone with a bubbly personality that knows they know nothing, but is willing to take messages?

Lenny E

I’m Like Dave, simple requirements and I answer all my own calls. It’s the guys speaking Catonese trying to sell me something that really get me P.O ‘ed.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We do answer the phone ourselves unless we are busy. We found that having someone answer the phone when we are busy is the issue. It is extremely expensive to have a person sit there waiting to answer the phone. If they are knowledgeable about countertops, it costs even more.

We just can’t afford to have a person answer phones for us anymore. It’s a waste of money. Looking for a solution like that phone system Jeff posted a link.

I like the bubbly personality idea. Will they work for free?

Len Smith

Our business is oriented towards other businesses (not retail) and in my view all a receptionist does is prolong getting down to business. I’d much rather reach a phone system and get directly to the person I’m trying to reach, even if they are busy. I can leave my message, I KNOW it will actually get to the person in the manner I intended, and I can get back to business.

Having a receptionist may be important if your business model revolves around making people feel a certain experience, like a Lexus dealer for example. However almost all businesses these days, regardless of size or market depend on a good phone system. The key is to make it simple to use, intuitive, and make sure your employees respond to messages quickly. If you do that, nobody will think twice.

Len Smith

By the way, we have one customer who has a mandatory wait while you are transferred via their automated system. It plays a commercial for their company, detailing their many industry awards. It’s interesting the first time you hear it, but after that it gets annoying.

KCWOOD

Try this:

Hello, you have reached Olive Mill, we are either on the phone or with another customer in our showroom. Your phone call is very important to us.
    If you would like to leave a message for a return phone call from

Andy in sales –Press 1
    Val in sales  —-Press 2

If you would like to recycle used panties press *9 for Joe…

GiddyUp!!!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I would love to do that, but don’t I need a phone system of some sort?

Len Smith

Yes, you do. It’s well worth the investment. I actually PREFER to reach a good voicemail system over a receptionist.

KCWOOD

Posted By Len Smith on 17 May 2012 12:57 PM
    Yes, you do. It’s well worth the investment. I actually PREFER to reach a good voicemail system over a receptionist.

I’m with you Len, I like the systems where you have options, and escpecially the ones you can bypass all the front end stuff by entering in the extension of the person you want to talk with. Thats a nice feature for when someone does business with you all the time.

Andy, Domain Industries has a nice system.

Tom M

The problem is when you need something that isn’t on the menu and there is no “operator” selection.

Lenny E

I like a well trained receptionist myself. When was the last time you seen an answering machine with big ta-ta’s? Just sayin

Len Smith

Posted By Tom M on 19 May 2012 07:48 AM

The problem is when you need something that isn’t on the menu and there is no “operator” selection.

Any good phone system lets you designate someone as an attendant, so that if someone pushes “0” they get someone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.