Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jon Olson

We’ve been planning down 1 inch solid surface to 3/4 inch. On the CNC. The strips are 5 inches wide. Its driving me crazy watching the machine run at 170 inches per minute.We have over 500 feet to run But the operator says it will chip out at that speed.. I want to crank up to 400 inches per minute. What kind of bit would run to accomplish this task? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

400 ipm is fast to plane the surface. I have tried it with a regular bit and it chips out the material whne it comes to the end. You get a bunch of little triangle holes in the material.

Tom M
    Jon, are you using a planing bit? At 170 IPM it should do them at a reasonable clip.
    You know that there are satill solid surface brands that make 3/4″, right? How many sheets did the job need?

Tom

Norm Walters

Tom, Corian still has 3/4″ but as far as I know in a small amount of colors, maybe he needed Festival, lol

Tom M
    Norm, I think it’s only Cameo White, Sierra Dusk, and Sierra Sandstone.

Gone are the days…..Gone….

Tom

Matt Kraft
    Jon,

Is there a Timesaver sander at your diposal? Maybe a local cabinet shop?

If not, I have a 52″ Cemco for sale…….

We could 500 feet in a couple hours, most likely.

Jon Olson

Hello Tom. Where using Nocturne and Blue Slate. For me 170 is to slow. Its like watching paint dry. I think its about 7 sheets. Hey Matt yes a timesaver would help. Don’t have one. Thanks Andy + Norm for your help.

Tom M
    Jon – did you glue up two layers of 1/2″ for the 1″ thickness? I wouldn’t use a timesaver for that.

Tom

Wade Stein

SPEAKING OF WHAT KIND OF BIT, I AM HAVING PROBLEMS TRYING TO GET A SEAMABLE CUT WITH MY CNC. I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP BEFORE. THE ONLY WAY THAT I CAN GET A HALF A!!ED CUT IS WITH A ONSRUD 1/4″ BIT NOT SURE OF # IT IS A O FLUTE AND I HAVE TO RUN THE RPM’S AT 22000 AND THE FEED AT 80 FT. PER MINUTE. I HAVE RUN TH MACHINE CLOCKWISE AND SAME RESULTS. THIS IS LIKE WATCHING PAINT DRY.

WADE

Seth Emery

Wade,

What is the issue with the seams? Are the cuts rippled, or are they possibly cupped?

Have a good one,

Seth

Seth Emery

Jon,

Did you ever optimize your time on the 5″ strips? Are you cutting the strips down to 5″ before plowing off the material? Couldn’t you run the strips through a table saw and then flip them lengthwise to complete the cut. I usually only take off an 1/8″ per pass when plowing., and normally use a 1″ dia. tool with 1/8″ rad. corners. I run it at 1600RPM and 250IPM.

Enjoy your day,

Seth

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Wade,

Cut a 10″ diameter out of a scrap piece of material and see if the cut finishes in the exact same spot. This will give you an unscientific way to tell if the machine is calibrated.

Explain what the seam look like when done or try top post a picture. I have had absolutely no problem with seaming and I cut at 350 ipm. (Multicam Router with 3/8″ triple flute, upcut bit)

Shane Barker

Wade,

What kind of cnc do you have?

Shane

Wade Stein

Shane,

It is AXYZ 5012

Seth and Andy

The cut is rippled and also it has a cup in it. If you try to seam them together in a 3′ seam at each end you will have at least 20 thousands gap. Also I have done the circle trick and it is good.

Wade

Seth Emery

Wade,

One idea is that the spindle may not be trammed (perpendicular at N, S, E, & W) to the table. This could result in cupping. Here is a link about how to tram a manual milling machine head: http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/mill_movments_vert_hd.html#7. You would most likely have to use shims instead of having adjustment knobs.

Have a nice day,

Seth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.