Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Eli Polite

we installed this job for my mom’s new home there are no seams in this top and a large under mount sink. with no breaks we used a 10′ pc of c channel it worked perfect

Photobucket

Eli Polite

Photobucket
    Photobucket

same job just showing how i did the overhang support
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Eli Polite

for some reason im in the mood to post so here is how i cut all my splash that requires an angle in most cases you just butt them together but sometimes you have a profile and need a miter cut. you can do this with any angle not just a 45
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

back side of the splash
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Posted By politefab on 22 Oct 2008 08:40 PM
    we installed this job for my mom’s new home there are no seams in this top and a large under mount sink. with no breaks we used a 10′ pc of c channel it worked perfect

Photobucket

What would you estimate the total weight of that large top to be?
    Johnny C

Eli Polite

450 to 500 lbs

Kevin Padden

Eli-

Your Mom is a lucky lady! Nice looking finished work… I normally do NOT like to ship a job like that – all in one piece – but hey, C’Mon … It’s your Mom – ya gotta go way above and beyond that call of duty…. HA! After all – She carried you around in her body for nine months, so in the end – ya did the right thing Bro!!! That’s the least you could do!!!

I always use the weight guidelines of:

2CM = 15 pounds per SqFt
    3CM = 22 pounds per SqFt

May be a bot on the conservative side, but it has worked for me for the last 24 years…

Once again Bro – Great looking project!!

kevin

Eli Polite

im sure i under estimated the weight of the top it’s roughly 2/3rds of a slab that weighed 1200 lbs and i would do it for any one not just my mom its what sets us apart from the other 8 shops in a 25 mile radius of ours

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

That miter joint is impressive.  You ever get confused cutting it?  How easy is it to teach a new guy?

Brian Stone

Moving a top like that around the shop and into the house would scare the crap out of me. Of course, if it didn’t have a sink cutout it would be a different story.

I personally think that a lot of granite companies use way too many seams (the shop I work at is included in that.) I think the u-shape is a little too risky though. If it was my house I would probably do a euro seam in the corner to the left of the sink.

Eli Polite

the miter joint is super easy if you do it once on a scrap piece it will just click. if it is done correctly it produces a seam as tight as the seam phantom but at a fraction of the cost i sell the euro template for $160 shipped..

Jon Olson

Nice Work!!

Another good way to do mitred splashes is to convert a chopsaw to wet saw w/ 1/4″ to hose bib fittings
    and put in a good diamond blade It makes it just like chopping baseboard. Water= zero chippage.

Eli Polite

i have a 12″ dewalt with a green pearl blade on it and it works great. i posted this because believe it or not you can cut splash just as fast and as easy and as accurate by hand and in most cases i dont bother with the chop saw its a pain in the but i have one set up in the shop behind the marmo so it can be cut to length as it comes out of the splash machine its a great tool and it has its place

what we prefer is based a lot on opinion and what we like if it aint broke dont fix it

Just like they say opinions are just like !##holes everyones got them.
    I was just stating another way to do things i also have been in the stone
    business for quite a while and have many tricks also.

Eli Polite

this as god a place as any to share them..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.