Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    cory boots

Hey Tom what about bevel edge? Do you make your own?

Tom M

Only when we have to. We have the Align-rite system, but don’t use it a lot. Kuehn got a lot better over the years.

I’m thinking about trying the Gem-loc. Talked to the guy at the first ISSFA conference I went to, in 97 (I think).

We do now make all of our solid surface edging. I like to apply that much better.

cory boots

We like kuehn and wilsonart as well. My fathers other company had a ron blessing machine and loved it but had to use a ton of clamps. No clamps when we buy them.

Tom M

Especially the early WilsonArt Perma-edge system. I was in on an early tool buy with that system. Got the best dang bench sander we ever had. The planing routers were absolutely top notch. I call out the amnnbufacturers as much (more) as anyone, but they did this right. The wood edge they offered was the first I ever saw where the t and slot worked as well as intended. It was awesome.

Not as much now, but we still prefer the lam edge (we do very little with wood edges nowadays) over Kuehn. I think it forced Kuehn to get better, and it showed.

And we always use tape. Very few clamps.

David Gerard

Tom, when you fabricate ss edging do you completely finish the edging before applying it to the counter face or do you final finish very last ( tape off laminate to protect) . I have done it both ways. I learned the top surface of the ss had better be flat and as straight as possible. One has to be extremly acurate with the slotting for the spline or risk uneveness. The customer of which I’m going after had us do avonite “copper canyon w/ formica black micro dot lam. A very tough fabrication for sure! setting the micro dot line so when trimmed has to be straight.

Tom M

David, we do a little of both. Prefinish the face and smooth the top and bottom, then glue up using the tape for lam top protection, then we “plane” it level with a razor blade – no kidding – then a final sand, then remove the tape.

It makes a real nice looking edge.

There are no easy solutions for textured laminate, but nothing is worth scarring the lam surface.

bhoward

Tom, how in the heck did you cut yourself with a Virutex slitter? The wheels have no edge.

This item, Mar-Bel LS-7 Slitter is in just about every laminate shop I’ve ever been in. Awesome machine.

Used to share a building with the man who manufactures these.

Tom M

Dave,

While running the slitter, I didn’t notice a crack in the sheet. When you use the slitter, you can’t help but put some tension at the front of the sheet. Once I hit the crack, it opened up and I drove it straight into the side of my palm.

Do you sell that floor mounted unit?

Rod Y

As a matter of fact I do. They are manufactured here in Pinellas County. Also sell their Pinch Rollers.

Tom,

I agree about that sander. I aquired one when we bought our current building. Cabinet shop went out of business, left it behind. Even have the accessories.

Tom M

Mike G,

I’m sorry, which sanders?

Dave – pinch rollers. Ugh!

First lesson I ever learned about the economics of production was with a pinch roller. When you do custom, it’s more of a hassle than it’s worth. Free, however…. that’s a different story.

Leon Nguyen

Yeah, pinch rollers, old school for sure. We don’t sell squat in them. However, Mar-Bel does a nice biz in that product. They have their niche.

We do very little with beval edge but one thing for sure, don’t get started with it without a good supply of bandaids because that stuff is sharp and cuts like a razor.

Tom,

I was talking about the Perma Edge one Wilson art use to sell.

Tom M

Mike G,

Duh, my bad.

The accessories must be the 45 and 90 fence edges? They are fantastic. I don’t know about your sander, but mine keeps turning for a minute or more after we turn it off. This after a whole crapload of years and dust, including solid surface dust. Amazing. I wish I knew who made it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.