Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Lenny E

Hi Bill,

SS comes in all sorts of flavors. I bet 3/4 inch or definitely 3 CM could support a grab bar! What are your thoughts?

Bill Wolle

Lenny,

I would still be concerned with the fastening system. I would guess 3 cm has the strength. I have not seen or would not really understand the test numbers anyway. I would think you would have to through bolt with a fender type washer. I think screws would pull out and the material would not hold. I personally was never a fan of adhesive only for grab bars but I am old school and not familiar with all the new adhesives. The load on grab bars is not a shear strength type thing and I think might be pulled off easier?

Posted By John Christensen on 13 Aug 2010 11:46 AM

Try this home made remedy.  Tie a small magnet to a piece of string.  Suspend the magnet from your finger with about 1 foot of string and about 1/8″ from the wall.  Raise and lower the magnet along the verticle line.  The magnet should pull toward the wall when it is over a screw or nail.

It works.  I tried it with a piece of Corian “Linen”.  It found the screw through the 1/2″ material with dead accuracy.  Interestingly I also tried it with a piece of Corian “Midnight”.  The “Midnight” piece was magnetic all by itself.

Johnny C

John,

That is a brilliantly simple way of doing it.  (and cheap)

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The panels go to the ceiling so I have to locate them through the corian. I like the magnet idea, seen it work before with just drywall.

I don’t think I would want to take on the liability of attaching directly to panel and not the stud. If it was my house and had no other choice Ii might do it, but I can’t take that chance with a customer.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.