Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I have to install some bars in a shower.  We talked to the customer and they didn’t want any support for the bars when we installed and now they need them.

Somehow, I have to find the studs so I have something to attach each end of the bar.

Does anyone know of a stud finder that will detect a stud through 1/2″ solid surface and 1/2″ drywall?

KCWOOD

I would assume any of them would. I would think the 1/2″ ss panel would support a grab bar???

Tom M

Full height sheets?

Lenny E

Those stud finders dont work. Im a registered stud and None of you were able to find me with those.

I’ll  be here all week.  Order the beef and stay away from the veal, due to  a slight trichinosis problem

Norm Walters

Andy, see if you can find the studs from the other side of the shower wall, then measure from a fixed point such as a doorway to locate the studs on the shower side.

Tom M

Lenny, with my sex life, it would work better to have a duSt finder.

Sue Turner

Andy they make some that clam to scan deeper than most that should work.  I think the big orange carries them.  I would see about making up a mock up of the wall that you can carry with you and try them out before you buy.  If the big orange won’t let you try it out in the store, buy it, try it, take it back if necessary.

Also ask some of the Contractors you deal with.

Try this home made remedy.  Tie a small magnet to a piece of string.  Suspend the magnet from your finger with about 1 foot of string and about 1/8″ from the wall.  Raise and lower the magnet along the verticle line.  The magnet should pull toward the wall when it is over a screw or nail.

It works.  I tried it with a piece of Corian “Linen”.  It found the screw through the 1/2″ material with dead accuracy.  Interestingly I also tried it with a piece of Corian “Midnight”.  The “Midnight” piece was magnetic all by itself.

Johnny C

Steve Mehan

We use these Snaptoggles when we cant find stud’s. http://www.toggler.com

Bill Wolle

Find the studs, the SS is NOT strong enough for a true grab bar.

Wayne

We’ve used these with great success.

http://www.wingits.com/

KCWOOD

Posted By William Wolle on 13 Aug 2010 01:24 PM

1/2″ thick,  large shower panel, why not?  You think it will pull from the wall, or it will break? I could see it  in 1/4″ material.

Years ago, I helped install cultured marble shower surrounds in a large hotel. We did about 300 of them and attached the grab bars to the panels, not the studs. The location was spec’d by the architect.  I was in there years later and everything still looked nice, in the 2 rooms I was in.

Do you think cultered panels are better and stronger than solid surface?

Norm Walters

Grab bars are rated to support 250 lbs. I think I would find the studs.

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 13 Aug 2010 08:57 PM

Posted By William Wolle on 13 Aug 2010 01:24 PM

1/2″ thick,  large shower panel, why not?  You think it will pull from the wall, or it will break? I could see it  in 1/4″ material.

Years ago, I helped install cultured marble shower surrounds in a large hotel. We did about 300 of them and attached the grab bars to the panels, not the studs. The location was spec’d by the architect.  I was in there years later and everything still looked nice, in the 2 rooms I was in.

Do you think cultered panels are better and stronger than solid surface?

Cultured marble is not as strong.  Growing up in the industry, I would never attach anything directly to those panels.  I am surprised they dont have any law suites for people ripping them off and getting hurt.  Studs, baby, studs.  Its still just a decorative surface not structural.

Bill Wolle

Solid surface is not this kind of structural material and is not strong enough for grab bar support.

I would contend that ceramic tile is stronger than SS and you should not install grab bars only into tile.

I am not sure and do not have a reason to research other than here but I believe if you look into ADA specs, you will find load requirements for grab bars that would only be met by fastening to a structural member.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.