Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    straub45

Yes Lenny, what are you drilling for? If you hit the right vein, you may find Jimmy Hoffa.

Making in roads over at garden web. Two of stonegirls backers are being nice and asking questions instead of attacking, one even mentioned my name in the thread header asking for advice. I set a trap for stone girl and bet she falls flat on her butt.

It is hard to argue with the truth. If I could get some of you guys backing me up, or better, get your wives to go over there and ask for more detail, these idoits would learn to play fair. No matter though, things will be as they should, no? Help if you have the time or feed me info and pics that will help.

Ammo, I need more ammo….

Tom M

Al,

I believe the proper term is “PWND!!111!”

There might be an “E” in there somewhere. Nice job.

Todd Pagel

Tom, I am glad that you think I am smart enough to get that Pwnd reference, but unfortunely I am not.

Explanation please…..

Norm Walters

Al, you are not the only one.

Tom, Hurry up and explain so i can feel like a know it all again. I keep coming up with cuss words for it and not sure if i’m right

Chris Yaughn

Thing about Tom is, his background is so varied that I actually looked up one of his typos one time because I thought it was just a word that I did not know.

Chris

All hail the legendary Tominator, source of all wonderous obscure references. Virgin sacrifice at 11:00 pm.

Check this out, over at garden web, there was a question from a consumer about two granites that were on the black list. I responded with a bit of advice, but added that I was holding something back and to humor me for a few days.

So the stone only salesmen jump on it and give about the most comprehensive reply on a stone that they have ever given ( I looked back through the available posts) and told about almost all the issues on the stone. A few homeowners jump on me for holding back, rude, aparentley. After a few days, I posted about what an informative thread it was and how for the first time, homeowners were getting most of the info about the stone. So I get smacked around a day or two more, then post that what I withheld was that both stones the lady was looking at were on the granite black llist over at stoneadvice.com. We use that list every day to check stones before we do estimates.

I went back today and couldn’t find the black list, they must have pulled it off the public portion of the site because I mentioned it.

Were I the irresponsible type , I could wipe out most of their public content in a few weeks by

linking to it on garden web.

Puppets dancing on a string……….

Yeah, I know that some of them are reading this, but what they seem to be ignorant of is that I have everything negative that I will need already saved from their site. Will do them no good to delete it as I can just post it and people will wonder why they deleted the info. Plus, you can use thewayitwasmachine.org to find old versions of the site, and they can’t do anything about it.

The bad thing is that consumers can’t find the list, so I will post it in other places. I have been bragging on the stoneadvice.com site as being one of the better stone sites, trying really hard to improve the quality of stone work in general.

Sad in a way, to see them react this way.

Tom M

So I take one day out of my vacation to buy some internet time and still manage to create confusion?

I never knew I was that good at it.

PWN(E)D is one of those (probably typed wrong words, or words typed in the wrong order) that tended to stick. PWNED is “Owned”, as in “You owned that debate, Al!”, but even more so – you pwned it! “Teh”, instead of “the” is another example.

Either way, Al, you “pwned” that thread!

Tom M

Al,

You also need to learn how to use google cache. For some reason, pages that have been changed can be found,- pre-change, on google. You then hit the print screen button, which saves your page as a .jpg file. Load up any image software, right-click and paste the image in. You then right-click again, hit “save as” and save it to your hard drive.

I know that part, but I don’t know how to work google cache. Maybe Chris from Crystalline can help?

You would be able to repost as an image, the pre-changed page.

Karl Crooks

Al keep up the good work, and can you email me the stone black list ? Thanks

Thanks for the compliment Tom. I hope I wasn’t coming across over there as completely arrogant, dipped into the snide bucket once or twice, have to learn not to use that trick.

Tell me more about the google cache, do you just google for the keywords? Do I remember seeing that cache thing highlighted below the main link?

I have been saving copies of what info that I posted over at SSA, just in case they pulled this. Unfortunetly, I found that the waybackmachine doesn’t work on that site, something about it refusing searches by robots, probally the search engines.

The main oponent over there, stonegirl, has bowed out pretty much, said not because of my supeior debate skills, but said she wasn’t going to change my mind. Nice excuse. I think that they are learning that challenging the info just brings more of it on. Some of them, mostly homeowners that brook no disrespect for granite, have googled stuff like this site, the article in May, and even posted stuff off the SSA or linked to it saying “gotcha!” even though I linked to it in the past.

I saw something else last night that was encouraging. An oponent on HGTV, chicagostonepro, took me to task for saying that some resins were polyester based and can yellow with time. I posted a link to MIA proving the point. Eventually, he either tired or gave up and went away.

So I run into a post by him a week or so after I “educated” him on resins, this long time stone professional. He was listing polyester along with the other resins used, like a good boy. Either he knew this all along but didn’t want to concede the truth, or genuinly learned something and was honest enough to include it in his advice to that homeowner.

Point is this, education is effective, even for the competition. No doubt am pissing off a few homeowners by doing this, but if they get mad enough, they will at least read the info, even better if they read it hard enough to look for weak points.

But they won’t forget what they have learned.

Tom M

Al,

I wish I knew more about it.

Maybe one of the compu-guys like Andy, Seth or Chris can jump in. Maybe Amir?

I have seen it work mostly when conservative bloggers grap images of NY Times and AP sites when they bury or delete info they don’t want to be embarrassed by.

If you see something you want to note beforehand, you may be able to copy and paste into a word document, an entire web page. You’d have to be pretty omniscient, though.

Mark Meriaux

Al,

You claim to have read the popular online stone forums in your four years of research. If that were true, you would know Adriana and of her fabricating abilities, and her deep passion for what she does for a living – fabricate stone. She is nobody’s pawn, and probably gets dirtier/dustier than most of the guys here fabbing every day.

My question to you: Why do you even sell (and now fabricate) stone believing that it is such a poor choice for a countertop? Aren’t you doing your customers a dis-service by putting such a problematic and potentially dangerous material in their homes? Do you really value money over the safety of your customers? That’s what you’re preaching when you attempt to discredit stone, isn’t it?

I look forward to whatever bacteria/cleanability testing that you guys do. If you want your study to be truly “unbiased”, it might behoove you to have some outside input/suggestions (maybe even invite a “stoner”) of your methods and procedures to help make sure everyone “plays fair”.

As for me, I am one of the moderators at StoneAdvice.com. I occasionally visit FabNet, but usually don’t find much information that is directly useful to me in my business of fabricating stone. You guys are obviously passionate about your trade, so am I. You all help each other with advice and information – same as us “stoners” at StoneAdvice. As you all continue to fab more stone (it’s not going away, guys), I encourage you to visit StoneAdvice with any questions you might have. If I should ever decide to start melting plastic (and brain cells) for a living, I expect that I’ll find FabNet more useful.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.