Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Steve Mehan

We installed a LG top last week and we used an Arctic White 2818 large single bowl undermount sink. The customer called and has explained that during the use of the sink and afterwords the sink bottom and sides that have been exposed to the water seam to almost bleed out a purplish black color??? Thats the way he explained it. He claims it doesnt discolor the water just the parts of the sink that become wet.  After installing the sink we had run the water quite a bit to do some clean up and also to check for any leaks, at the time and I didnt see any changes in the sink. He says they tried to use a scotch brite and also some soft scrube but neither remove the color change. What he said happens is after some time when the sink dries the color is gone and the sink looks normal again. I cant get over to the job until the end of this week and asked him to email some pictures of what he’s explaining. Has anyone ever heard of this happening or had it happen? We us the LG sinks all the time and back in June we used the same sink for there neighbor across the street and the week before another neighbor and I havent heard any complaints about this happening to there sinks. We’ve used hundreds of this particlar sink on other jobs with both city water and wells and never any issue. I will contact my LG rep on Monday but I am confused as of now.

KCWOOD

I would be skeptical….  just sounds impossible.  Tell him to blot the black water with a white paper towel and see what he has. Other than that, it has to be a special lighting effect, or he is pouring his mixture of purple passion and crown black cocktail into the sink… 

Did you ask him if he ever thought his house was haunted??

Steve Mehan

I got the pictures and cant get them to upload. I know there was an issue with this a week back but is there a fix? The pictures show what looks like a dark grey shaded area that is blotchy with almost like a few viens running through it. I’m gonna have to go check this out.

Lenny E

Hi Steve,

I encountered something similar although not as drastic as you describe  in the past with the nickel and bronze bowls from Formica. They would leave a dark residue on the rag when wet wiping down the bowl. I believe the fix was that they pulled those patterns from the line.

I would imagine refinishing the sink and applying a mositure impervious sealer may alleviate the problem temporarily, at least until the sealer wears off from cleaning etc.

Keep us posted with what happens. Oh and dont feel bad, I tried to post a picture yesterday  and was unable to also.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Picture upload fix is coming…I hope.

Lenny E

Thanks Andy, youre the best!

Brian Stone

If you have photobucket or any other photo sharing site you can still put them on there and attach the link.

Sam Graham

That is strange.  I have not heard of any issues such as that with the LG sinks.  I am interested in seeing your picts.  Everytime I go see a customer with a “stained” solid surface sink it seems they somehow missed the concept that it helps to wash or at least rinse the sink every now and then.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Photo Attachment works now. Sorry for the delay

Steve Mehan

These are the pictures the homeowner took. As you can see there looks to be some type of veining  streaks on the bottom of the sink. From what he says they only appear when the sink is wet and after it dries the veining goes away. I am going to look at it on Friday. I spoke with my LG rep and hes also at a lose.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Those look like marks left by an iron pan. Could be wrong, but maybe he just can’t see them that well when they are not wet.

Hopefully a scotchbrite pad will remove those marks.

Steve Mehan

Andy, That’s what I thought also. Looking at the picture My LG rep thinks they maybe hairline cracks. I’ll find out when I look at it Friday.

Sam Graham

That is crazy! The pattern the picture depicts does match the hair line crack pattern that most sinks end up displaying when they go bad though.

David Gerard

what does womens hair dye do to top materials?
    If you show up and the customer has dark purple hair…hmmmm?

Topshop

It may be possible that in the manufacturing process the guy running the molding machine sprayed too much mold release on the mold and the chemicals are messing with the sink resin. It could be a temporary condition or a honing/cleaning may remove the problem. Just a thought – I used to be a manufacturing engineer in a plastics plant in my former life.

I know draino messes with composite sinks in a bad way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.